Toms Hairdressers.

Does anyone remember TOMs gents hairdresser on Charles St,the main man was a guy called Steve forein chap probably Polish great guy,he went on to work for J.Fanthom on Division st. [J.Fanthom ex S.W.F.C.]

Remember steve when he was at Fanthoms,went there for many years untill it was taken over by Taylor-Taylor and became a modern salon and prices increased bt 50%.

Was it there where you received a raffle ticket as you entered? It indicated where in the queue you were.

Don't ever remember raffle ticket and i think i remember reading in Star that steve passed away a few years ago.

Was it there where you received a raffle ticket as you entered? It indicated where in the queue you were.

'Raffle ticket'! It was that busy? and without being pedantic, and don't care if I am, it was John Fantham

Sheffield Wednesday F.C. and England, Pitsmoor born and dweller, former Burngreave school pupil. His barber's shops were on Division Street and Cambridge (Barney's) Arcade.

Hi Stpetre I once met John Fantham in a shop in Pitsmoor owned by his mother I recollect,he impressed me as a down to earth guy not at all high and mighty as some sportsmen are,he was getting towards the end of his career at this time!.

I remember going to Tom's in the late 1940,s.They always had around 6 barbers working at the same time (6 chairs or so) and there was still a long wait. Guys had their hair trimmed every week in those days and many went for shaves also which took some time and 'cut throat' razors as they were called were used by the barbers. Often 'clients' would wait until their favourite barber was free.

I remember going to Tom's in the late 1940,s.They always had around 6 barbers working at the same time (6 chairs or so) and there was still a long wait. Guys had their hair trimmed every week in those days and many went for shaves also which took some time and 'cut throat' razors as they were called were used by the barbers. Often 'clients' would wait until their favourite barber was free.

Thank you 'oldun' ,forgot about how often men had their hair trimmed back then, the shaves of course and waiting for the 'regular' barber. Makes for a busy shop.

Wow, what memories, I first started having my haircut at Toms when I was demobbed from the RAF in 1950 after National Service, and I decided after two years of RAF haircuts, one style fitted all; especially when it was CO's parade.

So went I to Tom's for a decent haircut, what a change, seven chairs all smart barbers, bright and airy, clean floor, wonderful. All my workmates could not believe me "Afe a crown for haircut, tha must be barmy" when they were satisfied with the back street barber, wreathed in cigarette smoke, ankle deep in hair cuttings, and yes again one style fitted all, short back and sides, probably nine pence or a shilling, old money of course

As has been stated on entering one was give a raffle ticket and you waited until your number was called, if you wanted a certain barber you said "Waiting" and it was ascertained who you were waiting for.

Of the seven barbers I remember the Orio brothers, Arthur Holmes, and of course Steve, and I think his name was Bdjala, and he was the top stylist, always plenty "Waiting" for Steve and the latest styles, the D A for one.

When you had a shave it was with all the trimmings, cut throat razor, hot towel, face massage and fancy after shave, wonderful, incidentally being shaved with a cut throat is the ultimate shave.

At that time John Spitzer manager of the Empire theatre was a regular customer, and if you were waiting for his barber you had a long wait because he always had the full treatment.

When John Fantham opened his salon on Division St and Steve went with him and so did I.

Nowadays it is the norm to have nice barbers ,unisex, and excellent, but in those days they were a luxury.

Oh yes I remember Toms very well

Where on Charles Street was 'Tom's' ? near the Athol Hotel, near the old Empire or further down the hill?

I left Sheffield 43 years ago so I am an oldun and giving the exact location from a long memory. From Barkers Pool come down Pinstone St past Peace Gardens then turn right on to Charles St. and Toms was on left hand side going slightly uphill about 25 yards from the turn into Charles St. from Pinstone St. Not bad (if I am right)