Bands seen at the Wharncliffe Hotel Firth Park in the 60s

Can anyone remember the Bands that played at the Wharncliffe in the 60's...I personally remember, and got a photo and autographs of Alvin Lee and the Jaybirds, later to become "TEN YEARS AFTER"...Pat Leslie and the Greycats...The Whirlwinds...Bob Andrews (Bobby Knut) and the Questors ( I was the bass man in this band)...Peter York and the Pontiacs...Dean Marshal and the Deputies..The Vantennas...The Twin Cities Beat Boys...Vance Arnold (Joe Cocker) and the Avengers...The Kenny pete Five..and does anyone still remember the controversional Mackeson Rhythm Group Contest?????...Come on we really used to live in those days.

The original lead singer with the whirlwinds was johny rider who left and formed a double act with his wife (john & ann rider). still both fit and well.

john is my brother.

I know its not quite part off the topic but over the last 4 months i have been travelling up to the warncliff and have seen a few good bands hystryonx , reutterman to name but a few. ho and the landlord is leaving monday good bloke good luck in your future harry

hi whitefender you have made mine and my mums day reading this i am jean's daughter she is still going strong and would love to hear from you please get intouch katie :-))x and have the record :-))x

Edited by kt74

at 73 geoagia does more than warble them out you cant loose a talent like that ;-)x

Hi Katie.

Thanks for the reply,your mum knows who I am, just ask her to look at the photos we had taken at the Columbia studios then send me your email number and we'll have a memory oriented 'chat'.

Hi Katie.

Thanks for the reply,your mum knows who I am, just ask her to look at the photos we had taken at the Columbia studios then send me your email number and we'll have a memory oriented 'chat'.

pleased i came on here only googled the whirlwinds out of curiosity and ended up on here :-)

I Played at the Wharncliffe with a few bands in the 60s, One of them Pete Emmett and the Beat Squad. Drummer was Gerry Wigley, who played with a few local groups, Chuck Fowler was the last Band I knew he was playing with. Anybody Know what happened to Gerry.

Sadly Gerry died a few years ago. In about 2007 Gerry, after a conversation with another local musician, put forward the idea of organising a gig for former members of Frank Whites many bands. I saw the list but can only remember a couple of the drummers that were on there, Malcolm Trippett and Gary Fletcher. There were plenty of other bassists, guitarists etc. The idea was they'd call it "The Frank White Rejections" as a bit of a nod to the "Frank White Kommotion". Another name put forward was "The **** Fright Rejections". Came to nothing sadly.

However, take a look at this video. It's Gerry's grandson on guitar. the picture quality isn't great but he bears a remarkable resemblance to Gerry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpBEMoONyF8

Edited by 1789a

Brought back many memories.

Having begun running dances to live bands in Grenoside Scout Hut in 1957 I went on to manage Peter York and the Pontiacs, Dean Marshall and the Deputies, singers Johnny Burns, Ronnie Coy, Terry Stuart and Terry Slade (Terry Alcock), together with pianist Parkin Loy and conjuror David Dixon. Sadly I turned down the opportunity to manage Vance Arnold and the Avengers (Jo Cocker).

Until 1964 I regularly promoted pop concert / dances at the Newton Hall, Chapeltown; Gatty Hall, Ecclesfield; Clifton Hall , Rotherham and booked acts from Cleethorpes Pier, in the East, to the Floral Hall in Morecombe, in the West, and from Leeds to Newark and regularly in the City Hall and Cutlers Hall in Sheffield and, of course, The Wharncliffe Arms. Happy days!!

My main career was in social work and Local Government and was Director of Social Services for South Glamorgan County Council.

More recently I had an association with The Zimmers and have been presenting a weekly radio programme for the last twelve years.

Chris

Edited by Chris J Perry
typo

On 11/03/2009 at 22:41, 3dogman said:

I saw Frank White there but I think it was roundabout 71-72, last time I saw Frank White was at the Pheasant at Lane Top is he still playing now?

Just heard that Frank passed away today.. used to watch him play at the Pheasant, the best guitarist I've ever heard.

He couldn't half belt them numbers out.

RIP. Frank.