Bands seen at the Wharncliffe Hotel Firth Park in the 60s

I know this is an old thread but I saw Pete Childs (aka Pete York of Pete York & The Pontiacs fame) last night - 14th Sep 2010. He was my guitar teacher about 20 years ago and I randomly bumped into him at The Attic rehearsal studios - his son rehearses there and he'd gone to watch him. My dad used to do a bit of roady'ing for them back in the day.

I know this is an old thread but I saw Pete Childs (aka Pete York of Pete York & The Pontiacs fame) last night - 14th Sep 2010. He was my guitar teacher about 20 years ago and I randomly bumped into him at The Attic rehearsal studios - his son rehearses there and he'd gone to watch him. My dad used to do a bit of roady'ing for them back in the day.
Pete was one of the finest guitarist out there sadly like many others he never broke through where much lesser musicians did.

Alec Winstone and the cavemen/Flintstones?- he was always good/funny to listen too.I wonder what hapened to him and his fellow band members-- ?

Alec Winstone and the cavemen/Flintstones?- he was always good/funny to listen too.I wonder what hapened to him and his fellow band members-- ?

The last time I saw them was around 1971 shortly after I'd left the army at the Hawthorne Club Cantley, where I was resident Bassist.

Edited by Bassman62

Got a photo of my old band 'The Drumbeats' in the 'Retro' section of this Saturdays (18th Sept) Sheffield Star along with a shot of me after I'd joined the army in 66.

As someone said there were so many Groups/Bands on the Sheffield scene especialy the early to mid 60s, we averaged 4-5 gigs per week (and held down daytime jobs) yet like most others never gat a mention in the 'Not Like A Proper Job' book

I saw " Bitter Suite" there a couple of times and "Ohara"s Playboys"

always thought bitter suite was a great band

regards Paul

The last time I saw them was around 1971 shortly after I'd left the army at the Hawthorne Club Cantley, where I was resident Bassist.

Interesting, thanks for that .:)

I Played at the Wharncliffe with a few bands in the 60s, One of them Pete Emmett and the Beat Squad. Drummer was Gerry Wigley, who played with a few local groups, Chuck Fowler was the last Band I knew he was playing with. Anybody Know what happened to Gerry.

who was the land lord it was bill gandy when i was drinking there

Sure was Paul, I know this as I married his daughter, and saw all the bands who played their and the Sicey.

spent some good times in the tap room cards darts and drinking all yhe things that a 16 year old should be doing sorry and smoking lots of things have changed now I dont smoke