Bands seen at the Wharncliffe Hotel Firth Park in the 60s

Can anyone remember the Bands that played at the Wharncliffe in the 60's...I personally remember, and got a photo and autographs of Alvin Lee and the Jaybirds, later to become "TEN YEARS AFTER"...Pat Leslie and the Greycats...The Whirlwinds...Bob Andrews (Bobby Knut) and the Questors ( I was the bass man in this band)...Peter York and the Pontiacs...Dean Marshal and the Deputies..The Vantennas...The Twin Cities Beat Boys...Vance Arnold (Joe Cocker) and the Avengers...The Kenny pete Five..and does anyone still remember the controversional Mackeson Rhythm Group Contest?????...Come on we really used to live in those days.

Hi There Tim, You probably wont remember me,Iwas the Roady With the

Whirlwinds and I do remember all the groups you metioned.

Over the last 18months The Whirwinds surviving members

have been meeting up about once a month at least to wine and dine

together and chew the fat about old times.

This all came about because Dave Hawley died and we all turned up at

his funeral .

If you want to keep in touch let me know.

Tony.

Hi, I remember many of those groups/bands, our group the 'Drumbeats' played the Wharncliffe many times, there was also the 'Sicey' and the 'Shiregreen Hotel' in that area.

I'm still gigging having just treat myself to an new bass amp and I'll be jamming Wednesday night with Russ Dennet (ex Human League).

I saw " Bitter Suite" there a couple of times and "Ohara"s Playboys"

I saw Frank White there but I think it was roundabout 71-72, last time I saw Frank White was at the Pheasant at Lane Top is he still playing now?

Yes Frank is still playing he fronts a couple of bands with his name, he also teaches a great deal he regularly attends The Whirlwinds Re unions he is married to one two backing singers Jeannie.

Hi, Played at The Wharncliffe many, many times with Joe Cocker,(Ex Avenger),Also played for the Cherokees with Jean Rogers who was 'Georgia' the lead singer along with Johnny Ryder in the Whirlwinds.She joined us after leaving them in approx: late 1964. Wondered if anyone knows of her,and if Jean is still around.We made her first record at Columbia in London.(Baby,what you gonna do)?She was absolutely Fantastic and had the potential to become a great star with a voice like Shirley Bassey. She lived in a pub somewhere in Crookes.I would love to see or hear from her again after all these years.

Edited by WhiteFender

Hi, Played at The Wharncliffe many, many times with Joe Cocker,(Ex Avenger),Also played for the Cherokees with Jean Rogers who was 'Georgia' the lead singer along with Johnny Ryder in the Whirlwinds.She joined us after leaving them in approx: late 1964. Wondered if anyone knows of her,and if Jean is still around.We made her first record at Columbia in London.(Baby,what you gonna do)?She was absolutely Fantastic and had the potential to become a great star with a voice like Shirley Bassey. She lived in a pub somewhere in Crookes.
I would love to see or hear from her after all these yrs:

I saw all the bands mentioned, and many more but as my wife used to live there and her aunt kept the Sicey it was'nt surprising.

What was the name of the guy who fronted somebody and the Monsters, he later became a DJ on Radio Hallam

What was the name of the guy who fronted somebody and the Monsters, he later became a DJ on Radio Hallam

Ray Stewart (Frankenstein & The Monsters).

Yes Jean (Georgia) is still around she came to The Whirwinds re-union

in Dronfield last year, she still can warble a little which she did that night backed by one of Franks Trios. She now lives down south with her husband

but is not involved with showbiz any more. Her Mum and dad did run a small pub in highfields whilst they where alive.