Bradford vs Blades

That was an abject performance yesterday and going on Adkins post match interview he has finally woken up and smelt the coffee.

“We’ve got to cut down on the number of goals we are letting in, that’s for sure,” Adkins said. “It’s too many, simple. We’ll keep working hard with the players we’ve got and, if we can’t improve it in-house, then we’ll have to go out-of-house as it were.”

I think the difference is in expectations for the season, Owls fans had an unknown in the managers seat and were unsure what to expect, transition and mid-table being acceptable to most. With united, reading back on previous comments on these very pages you had a team and manager that could compete for the automatic promotion places so one point out of nine (inc two home games) is against the grain a little.

As far as the owls go though, you were comfortable mid-table last season, and had bucketloads to spend in comparison to the last decade - a new pitch, new scoreboard etc... there was certainly more expectation than just mid-table, at least until the chairman went for an unproven manager and a committee.

United are going to have good and bad weeks through the season - it's clear Adkins wanted another central defender in with the attempt to bring in Burn, so he's had to make do with what he had until at least the loan window re-opens. Hopefully, the spirited fightback yesterday stops the rot, and we got on a decent run... but anyone that thinks it's just a case of turning up and walking this league is kidding themselves.

We certainly SHOULD be competing for automatic promotion by the end of the season, but we've been there enough times now to know it's going to be a long slog, and there are other decent sides in this division... but if we don't go up, it's hardly the end of the world (as seems to have been predicted for each of the last few seasons if we didn't go up).

As far as the owls go though, you were comfortable mid-table last season, and had bucketloads to spend in comparison to the last decade - a new pitch, new scoreboard etc... there was certainly more expectation than just mid-table, at least until the chairman went for an unproven manager and a committee.

United are going to have good and bad weeks through the season - it's clear Adkins wanted another central defender in with the attempt to bring in Burn, so he's had to make do with what he had until at least the loan window re-opens. Hopefully, the spirited fightback yesterday stops the rot, and we got on a decent run... but anyone that thinks it's just a case of turning up and walking this league is kidding themselves.

We certainly SHOULD be competing for automatic promotion by the end of the season, but we've been there enough times now to know it's going to be a long slog, and there are other decent sides in this division... but if we don't go up, it's hardly the end of the world (as seems to have been predicted for each of the last few seasons if we didn't go up).

It was clear you needed players to add to last seasons squad (despite claims to the contrary on here) so why did you not do this in the last transfer window, you have the money and are debt free, what are your owners waiting for?

I couldn't agree more. I think most people (football sections) apart from the odd few, have wound people up. It's part and parcel of the game. What makes me laugh is when people continually complain then at some point, they'll throw in their two pennies worth and forget what they initially complained about. :hihi:

I read webby posts and I have to say he's a brilliant example of how you should be in this section.

As for closing this section... oh dear. That says a lot about that person.

Just for the record... Potlegs would be a great terminator, I mean moderator. (and I'm not joking)

Moderators I'm joking... before you take it serious lol

"I'll be back" to you on that footie - when I'm not so kna-- tired :hihi:

It was clear you needed players to add to last seasons squad (despite claims to the contrary on here) so why did you not do this in the last transfer window, you have the money and are debt free, what are your owners waiting for?

I think we have to be realistic here. Whilst we're in L1, no above average player from the championship is going to drop down a league to play in L1.

Yes, we've reluctantly had to let go one or two good players such as Murphy and Maguire and yes we certainly should have replaced them... but realistically, who with?

I will say this though, so far a recruiting hasn't been very good as in Woolford and our main focus should have been to sort out the defence. With NA, it's going to take a bit of time before he can start hiring and firing and I think he did right to give people a chance, but now I think he's clear in his mind we need new blood. We're going through a sticky patch early on, so it's better to get this out of the way now and come October we'll kick on.

The Bradford game though was dire.

I think we have to be realistic here. Whilst we're in L1, no above average player from the championship is going to drop down a league to play in L1.

Yes, we've reluctantly had to let go one or two good players such as Murphy and Maguire and yes we certainly should have replaced them... but realistically, who with?

I will say this though, so far a recruiting hasn't been very good as in Woolford and our main focus should have been to sort out the defence. With NA, it's going to take a bit of time before he can start hiring and firing and I think he did right to give people a chance, but now I think he's clear in his mind we need new blood. We're going through a sticky patch early on, so it's better to get this out of the way now and come October we'll kick on.

The Bradford game though was dire.

With your financial clout I would have thought that players with ambition would be happy to sign for a L1 club knowing they have a good chance of promotion back to the Championship, I've said from day one that your whole takeover was a bit odd and nothing thats happened since has changed that view.

With your financial clout I would have thought that players with ambition would be happy to sign for a L1 club knowing they have a good chance of promotion back to the Championship, I've said from day one that your whole takeover was a bit odd and nothing thats happened since has changed that view.

It's your opinion, albeit a tad unrealistic. It would take something extraordinary for players to come down to L1. Do you really want players who just come for money... I think not. That happened to you lot 15 years ago and look what happened there. You tried to buy yourself success and ended up on fargate; cap in hand.

It's your opinion, albeit a tad unrealistic. It would take something extraordinary for players to come down to L1. Do you really want players who just come for money... I think not. That happened to you lot 15 years ago and look what happened there. You tried to buy yourself success and ended up on fargate; cap in hand.

I don't think it is unrealistic you have to speculate to put yourself in a good position to get out of a league that you are too big for as the richest club in L1 your player investment should reflect that, it doesn't.

I don't think we had players particularly coming for the money, we did sign some players who didn't perform as expected and management that couldn't handle the ego's of the bigger "stars" we had at the time, what happened to the money from that era will never be known. The "cap in hand" times you mention were many, many years before this happened (70's).

I don't think it is unrealistic you have to speculate to put yourself in a good position to get out of a league that you are too big for as the richest club in L1 your player investment should reflect that, it doesn't.

I don't think we had players particularly coming for the money, we did sign some players who didn't perform as expected and management that couldn't handle the ego's of the bigger "stars" we had at the time, what happened to the money from that era will never be known. The "cap in hand" times you mention were many, many years before this happened (70's).

You talking as if you were loaded and you had to buy people to attend your party, when really they were just laughing at you... like the spoilt little rich kid :hihi:

If we're going to get out of this league with our new manager, we'll do it properly. No point throwing good money away... would you do this?

I mean look where it's got you so far yourselves. You've thrown money on players who played one game and yet no where to be seen for the pass few weeks. You've also go backwards in terms of points on the table. So your living proof, just throwing money at something, doesn't work. Look what happened to Cardiff, Leeds, Portsmouth at yourselves etc etc. Money buys you success for a moment. But building on solid foundations is where the real success lie.

A minute of pleasure or 15 years of pain??

Edited by footietalk

You talking as if you were loaded and you had to buy people to attend your party, when really they were just laughing at you... like the spoilt little rich kid :hihi:

If we're going to get out of this league with our new manager, we'll do it properly. No point throwing good money away... would you do this?

I mean look where it's got you so far yourselves. You've thrown money on players who played one game and yet no where to be seen for the pass few weeks. You've also go backwards in terms of points on the table. So your living proof, just throwing money at something, doesn't work. Look what happened to Cardiff, Leeds, Portsmouth at yourselves etc etc. Money buys you success for a moment. But building on solid foundations is where the real success lie.

Are you confident you'll get out of L1 this season, next season, the season after........

Theres a huge difference in throwing money away and building a side capable of promotion and keeping hold of your assets.

Its too early to speculate whether the money Chansiri has invested in us will be a success only the end of season will tell us that but at least he's giving it a go, you chairmen seem to be happy to languish in L1 for some reason.

Are you confident you'll get out of L1 this season, next season, the season after........

Theres a huge difference in throwing money away and building a side capable of promotion and keeping hold of your assets.

Its too early to speculate whether the money Chansiri has invested in us will be a success only the end of season will tell us that but at least he's giving it a go, you chairmen seem to be happy to languish in L1 for some reason.

We'll spend what we feels appropriate to where we are league wise. It's the right and most professional thing to do. We must learn from Wednesday in how not to run a business.

Absolute delusion, United have no excuses if they don't go up this season simple as.