Great Yorkshire Run 2015

I don't have a problem with the run, or with closing Penistone road - but they have to put in place better diversions. It caused chaos in the north of the city, and led to the trams being cancelled. Although I have to say Stagecoach did a brilliant job of getting us into the city anyway.

The city SHOULD be able to cope if they plan and design the diversions appropriately.

did somebody remember to order the water ?

Annoying. Took 3 times longer to get to work because of this farce.

Well run it next time.

WHY? why on earth can't they do it on a B-road instead of on the main-artery through the North of the city? Couldn't they run down Attercliffe road?

They need to make it a B-roads so that people are not inconvenienced.

but then people who live on the B roads will complain about the inconvenience. . .

I'll tell you what, ask the event organisers to run round Firth Park next time. You can run round the park in a circle, or even a figure of 8 if you're feeling adventurous

Did all the people moaning on this thread also think that the Tour de Yorkshire, Tramlines, events at the Arena, Football Grounds every week or other such City wide events are an inconvenience for travel disruption?

Moaning on here gets you nowhere, and other than the few fellow moaners no one cares, lol! Feed it back to the organisers instead of spreading negativity on what 5,000+ runners, several thousand spectators and all the people that have travelled to Sheffield for the event have actually seen as a well organised event and enjoyed what has been a rare feel good factor day.

Great Run who organise this is different from the Half Marathon organising team I believe, so no issues with the water. :)

I actually appreciate the fact this race is called Great Yorkshire Run and it's actually not based in Leeds!

I think next year, I will start a thread 6 months in advance of the race, to give people plenty of notice who might be slightly inconvenienced. They can then have plenty of time to plan their journey to work, or they can seek advice on here for alternative routes. You can never please everyone, but positivity is contagious and it needs spreading as much as possible.

Well done Sheffield for a cracking day.

I actually appreciate the fact this race is called Great Yorkshire Run and it's actually not based in Leeds!

I think that is what took everybody by surprise. . . nobody who saw the event mentioned by name would have guessed it was being held in Sheffield.

... or they can seek advice on here for alternative routes.

We were given advice on the alternative routes today - and took it - pity the organisers hadn't actually put some traffic management in place - but then that would have cost them some of their chugging money wouldn't it?

To be fair general roadworks are just as bad and we have to cope with them every day of the year somewhere.

A57 off the parkway was closed last night from the roundabout and the diversion took you through Handsworth (I should have gone the Intake way in that case), the signs there left as many questions for direction as much as they were there to help the situation.

As a national organisation (Great Run cover douzens of similar events across the UK) they need to make money to pay staff, make a profit to invest into future events etc. As long as they are operating legally and adhering to H&S blah blah, I think your request will sadly be to a lost cause. One way to find out though if you ask them the question

Well done to everyone who ran today!

If any of you have a criticism of the road diversions and traffic management put in place today, then you need to write a letter or email to the Council or the event organisers instead of posting on Sheffield Forum, where it's highly unlikely that they are reading and/or taking any serious record of the comments. Something official in writing will stand a much better chance of making a difference at next years event.

If you genuinely had business today and genuinely hadn't seen any notices about road closures, then hard luck. It happens.

Well done to everyone who ran today!

If any of you have a criticism of the road diversions and traffic management put in place today, then you need to write a letter or email to the Council or the event organisers instead of posting on Sheffield Forum, where it's highly unlikely that they are reading and/or taking any serious record of the comments. Something official in writing will stand a much better chance of making a difference at next years event.

If you genuinely had business today and genuinely hadn't seen any notices about road closures, then hard luck. It happens.

I would say that complaining publicly is more effective than complaining to just them privately/directly, as with the latter they can just ignore you and file your complaint under B for bin.

I don't have a problem with the run, or with closing Penistone road - but they have to put in place better diversions. It caused chaos in the north of the city, and led to the trams being cancelled. Although I have to say Stagecoach did a brilliant job of getting us into the city anyway.

The city SHOULD be able to cope if they plan and design the diversions appropriately.

If any trams were cancelled it might been due to congestion around Hillsborough. The run route was carefully planned to avoid crossing the tracks at any point.

A normal service was supposed to be running, but there are various other cumulative factors that may have been a cause of disruption, not just the run.

I would say that complaining publicly is more effective than complaining to just them privately/directly, as with the latter they can just ignore you and file your complaint under B for bin.

This thread will disappear soon - testament to how it's only a tiny minority who have complaints - and the criticisms within it will be forgotten/ignored by everyone. Maybe writing letters won't carry much weight either, but at least they'd be official and you can keep a record of what you've sent and follow it up.

Posting on SF is just shouting in to an empty room in the vain hope that the council or event organisers hear/act upon it.

Essentially, if you can get enough people to follow your cause then you can make some noise about it (I'd welcome it - if there were problems then well done on forcing someone to do something about it), otherwise it's just negative moaning on an internet form. The probable fact is, Sunday morning's road closures caused no inconvenience at all for the vast, vast majority of people in Sheffield, who either avoided the event altogether (I imagine +50% of the population don't even know it happened) or did get caught up in delays on diversions, but just accepted it as, you know, life in a city that hosts big events.