Chiltern / Cotswold Road houses Hillsborough

Been looking at houses on these two roads and wondered back in the days they were built as council houses or private developers ? Looks to be some fine properties around there so info would be appreciated.

Never been council houses as long as I lived round there - lived on Far Lane in 50's and 60's.

I don't think there are any council houses in Hillsborough! I could be wrong but I thought it was all privately owned properties.

There is Sutton Trust (council) Estate but that starts higher up - above the old Dial House Club. Also some council housing on Far Lane on left-hand side going down below Dial House and also off Far Lane after traffic lights on Left-hand side.

When working for the public works some years ago I was sent to do a repair on a house on Chiltern rd. The explanation I was given was that they were built by the local authority but were to be for sale.

Some were not sold and so became in effect council houses.

Houses on Chiltern/Cotswold Roads are really nice, lots of well-maintained semis with nice big gardens, set in very quiet, pleasant streets. I think that the whole area around there is a pretty good place to live. There's a good mix of different types of housing in the area - plenty of Social Housing round there, it's completely surrounded by the Sutton Estate and the much bigger Wisewood Estate, but neither of these are what you'd call "rough" estates by any stretch of the imagination. There's also plenty of privately owned and/or rented housing, ranging from small streets of quite modest terraced houses, streets with more upmarket semis, a few new-builds etc.

It's close to Hillsborough shopping centre (and it's decent public transport links) in one direction - and within walking distance of beautiful countryside in the other direction.

I grew up on the Sutton Estate, lots of my childhood friends from Malin Bridge school lived on or around Chiltern/Cotswold Road areas, so I know what I'm talking about here. If you're thinking of getting a house there, my advice would be to "go for it". It's a great place to live!

I live on Cotswold and i know to at least two council on Leslie rd

Hi firethorn, I am thinking of moving to this estate, so in your honest opinion do you feel that this would be a nice place to live, good location and with no neighbourhood issues?

Hi Jilljoe, could you advise of the same?

I know a property that is coming up for sale on Chiltern Rd very soon, and I am really interested, but the prices on these roads seem very expensive so I need to make sure its the right move also

Any advise would be appreciated

thanks

Hi sheffmiller

Yes, hand on heart, I would definitely recommend this area. I grew up on the Sutton Estate in the '60's and early 70's, my old mum still lives there and one of my brothers and his Missus bought an ex-Council house on the Wisewood Estate about 4 or 5 years ago. Another brother has a nice terraced house in Loxley, just below the Wisewood estate. None of them would willingly move from that area, even if you paid 'em good money!

I left Sheffield at the age of 20 and have lived in London since 1979, but I've always gone up there to stay at my mum's and see my family at least 3 or 4 times a year ever since. One of the nicest things about the area is that it has hardly changed at all in the last 50-odd years. It's still fairly low on crime, there's not much anti-social behaviour and there's generally a pleasant and peaceful vibe around there. It is surrounded by beautiful countryside too, nice walks, nice little local pubs - so there are all the advantages of living somewhere close to the urban conveniences of main roads, good shopping, good transport links, while at the same time enjoying a sort of semi-rural "villagey" type of set up if you walk or drive half a mile in the other direction. I honestly don't think that you can go wrong if you move to that part of Sheff 6.

Obviously, this is just my own personal opinion and I'm sure that there are others who may disagree - but I hope that what I'm saying here will help you to make your decision about where to live.

Thanks for the quick reply firethorn, sounds like you know the area well and I appreciate your views

:)

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 17:18 ----------

Kdv1, thanks for you message, sorry i cant reply the forum wont let me because i have not posted over 5 times. Appreciate your comments