Why should god save the queen?

Then I suggest you look around a bit more. That list was probably compiled by someone who isn't British, the Americans are prone to mistaking the United Kingdom and/or Great Britain for a country.

Most other countries refer to the UK as a country, you may find that in many DVD menus, electronics settings etc, the only option for us is UK, which makes sense as there'd be little point in having separate England/Scotland/Wales categories if they all contain the same settings.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/geography/beginner-s-guide/administrative/the-countries-of-the-uk/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/01/the-difference-between-the-uk-england-and-great-britain/

As I said previously , it's all a little confusing . I have no problem if England and Great Britain are both considered to be countries by different people or organisations. We should all be proud that we our a unique group of nations whose history and tradition is the envy of the world .

Also our national anthem 'God Save The Queen' is the most recognized national anthem around the world .

As I said previously , it's all a little confusing . I have no problem if England and Great Britain are both considered to be countries by different people or organisations. We should all be proud that we our a unique group of nations whose history and tradition is the envy of the world .

Also our national anthem 'God Save The Queen' is the most recognized national anthem around the world .

More than America's?

God save the King (or Queen) originates from a time when we (England) were being attacked from all sides. Early on much of the strife was religious, but also included coveted geography and "Divine rights." The opposition came from Spain, France and their allies the Irish, the Dutch etc. And later of course the Germans, Austro/ Hungarians, Turks, Japan.

The King or Queen were seen(by us & them) as the country, its primary symbol. To keep him or her safe & secure meant to also keep the country and its inhabitants safe & secure.

This thinking is as applicable today as it was then.

Through the centuries, the UK was astute enough to retain the monarchy, preserve its value and provide a meaningful role, as few other countries have done. There is a great deal of envy from other sovereign states and individuals over what the UK now has. In my opinion, no one has, or could have, surpassed the Queen with the ambassadorial role she has played for the past three generations !

...........and Comrade Corbyn isn't ???

At least he has a beard.

God save the King (or Queen) originates from a time when we (England) were being attacked from all sides. Early on much of the strife was religious, but also included coveted geography and "Divine rights." The opposition came from Spain, France and their allies the Irish, the Dutch etc. And later of course the Germans, Austro/ Hungarians, Turks, Japan.

The King or Queen were seen(by us & them) as the country, its primary symbol. To keep him or her safe & secure meant to also keep the country and its inhabitants safe & secure.

Not when you read the words in verse six. This anthem remains in the 18th century when it was written, and not an anthem for the 21st century.

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

At least he has a beard.
...........yep! you can generally tell a leftie!

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 21:09 ----------

Not when you read the words in verse six. This anthem remains in the 18th century when it was written, and not an anthem for the 21st century.

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

..........I don't know,...........the wee Krankie springs to mind for some!

Who considers Great Britain to be a country?

Back to school for you

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm

Through the centuries, the UK was astute enough to retain the monarchy, preserve its value and provide a meaningful role, as few other countries have done. There is a great deal of envy from other sovereign states and individuals over what the UK now has. In my opinion, no one has, or could have, surpassed the Queen with the ambassadorial role she has played for the past three generations !

Very well said. God Save Our Gracious Queen.

Who considers Great Britain to be a country?

Back to school for you

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm

David Cameron, the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's Prime Minister does as well as the United Nations .

Maybe like David Cameron , I went to a bad school .

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 21:46 ----------

More than America's?

I think so . The three most known must be Great Britain's , America's and the French national anthem .

Verse 3 tells us to take in all the immigrants.

David Cameron, the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's Prime Minister does as well as the United Nations .

Maybe like David Cameron , I went to a bad school .

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 21:46 ----------

I think so . The three most known must be Great Britain's , America's and the French national anthem .

How many times. Great Britain is not a country.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2011/08/whats-the-difference-between-uk-britain-and-british-isles/

I agree that verse 6 is an anomaly in the 21 st century, with reference to the nation of Scotland. Scotland was/is indispensable in the GB/UK mix, esp. for what it did in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries to help keep these islands safe from intrusion, and to its part in building the greatest trading block that became the Empire.

Relative to the mention of immigrants in verse three, as Poppet2 pointed out, I think we have to keep things in perspective. The UK has a relatively small land area, and immigration must be limited to what is practical and also what the future will be for young Britons. Should not political considerations and anthems come second to what's best for the country and next generations ? "That was then, this is now" is a saying that comes to mind.