Why should god save the queen?

Assuming there is a god, why exactly should he (or she) save the queen?

What about that bit in the bible about rich people not getting into heaven?

Discuss....

As I recall from school days, it's something to do with the divine right of the monarch to rule, that is where she get's her authority from.

As for that bit in the bible about rich people not getting into heaven, bit there are conflicting views about this, in Christianity at least. I seem to remember a famous hymn about 'the rich man in his castle, and the poor man at his gate'. That's supposed to be bright and beautiful. Well it is, if you're the rich man!

'The phrase "God Save the King" is much older than the song, appearing, for instance, several times in the King James Bible.[19] A text based on the 1st Book of Kings Chapter 1: verses 38–40, "...And all the people rejoic'd, and said: God save the King! Long live the King! May the King live for ever, Amen", has been sung at every coronation since that of King Edgar in 973.[20] Scholes says that as early as 1545 "God Save the King" was a watchword of the Royal Navy, with the response being "Long to reign over us".[21][22] He also notes that the prayer read in churches on anniversaries of the Gunpowder Plot includes words which might have formed part of the basis for the second verse "Scatter our enemies... assuage their malice and confound their devices".'

From Wiki.

Tradition, I suppose.

Why shouldn't God save our Queen or King ?

Why do the French want to slit the throats of their sons and friends ?

It's a patriotic song used as our national anthem which is A christian country .

"GOD SAVE THE QUEEN ! "

So we don't have to put up with the televised funeral! Then 234'691'004 documentaries over the next 12 months.

The National Anthem should be about the country not the Queen.

So we don't have to put up with the televised funeral! Then 234'691'004 documentaries over the next 12 months.

It's the same when one of them gets married or has a baby,boring,boring,boring.

The National Anthem should be about the country not the Queen.

We have two other anthems though; Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory.

Why shouldn't God save our Queen or King ?

Why do the French want to slit the throats of their sons and friends ?

It's a patriotic song used as our national anthem which is A christian country .

"GOD SAVE THE QUEEN ! "

What an extraordinary outburst.

As I recall from school days, it's something to do with the divine right of the monarch to rule, that is where she get's her authority from.!

The "divine right of kings" ended in the late 1600s [LINK]

Now that's a theory I can get behind.

We have two other anthems though; Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory.

God Save the Queen is the sole national anthem for the UK. I very much doubt that the lyrics of "Jerusalem" would work as a national anthem for the entire United Kingdom, although the song has been used a a victory anthem for English athletes since 2010. [LINK]

On St George's Day, 23 April 2010, the Commonwealth Games Council for England launched a poll to allow the public to decide which anthem would be played at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India. Voters could choose between God Save the Queen, Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory with the winning song being adopted as the official anthem for Team England. Jerusalem was declared the winner on 30 May 2010, securing 52% of the vote.

"The official anthem for Team England". Not quite the same thing.