Laptop buying advice

want it to be fairly light, have a 13inch screen and good battery life, around 300-400ish?

So "15.6 inch, 1366 x 768 pixels, LED-lit Screen"

Doesn't really do it...

Something like this fits more closely.

http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-m30-70-intel-core-i3-4030u-4gb-500gb-sshd-13-3--windows-7-professional-64-bit-mcf38uk-9TGC.html?refs=501810000-15&src=3

There are so many choices though it's down to the OP to look more closely at what is on offer.

I believe the most important thing is harddisk type. I suggest you to buy SSD...

I believe the most important thing is harddisk type. I suggest you to buy SSD...

I would agree with this. I recently picked up a Lenovo Yoga 500 and the first thing I did was get an SSD.

Its only a Pentium but it feels very fast, although it wasn't exactly sluggish even with the HDD, except booting.

Literally any £300 laptop ill easily manage Office and Web browsing

However at that price you are going to have to expect poor battery, screen, keyboard - it may be heavy and creak like its made of lego when you pick it up too.

My Yoga 500 costs around £330 and literally the only complaint I have is the screen is kinda crap, but I'm so used to IPS and OLED screens. Anyone used to TN screens probably wouldn't notice as much.

Battery life is 4 hours, not amazing but considering the first laptop I bought had 2 hours I can't complain.

The keyboard is pretty good, the case seems sturdy to me and its only 1.8Kg which is pretty light for a laptop.

You are only going to get really good battery life out of something insanely large and heavy, or insanely underpowered like an Atom. My Asus T100 has 7 hour battery life but it feels so sluggish I just couldn't handle it any more. Which is annoying as I'm sure if it came with more RAM it wouldn't be half as bad.