Selling mattresses from back of a van in S6.

On Tuesday morning my friend who is a widow and lives on her own answered a knock on her door. A man in a white van asked her if she wanted to buy a Memory Foam Mattress. He said he was delivering a mattress to another house and had a spare one. When she said " No" he persisted by asking " Have you got a friend or relative who would like to buy one ? " She refused again so he drove off. This was in the Stannington area. Has anyone else seen this man, as my friend was very frightened as she lives alone.

On Tuesday morning my friend who is a widow and lives on her own answered a knock on her door. A man in a white van asked her if she wanted to buy a Memory Foam Mattress. He said he was delivering a mattress to another house and had a spare one. When she said " No" he persisted by asking " Have you got a friend or relative who would like to buy one ? " She refused again so he drove off. This was in the Stannington area. Has anyone else seen this man, as my friend was very frightened as she lives alone.

They have been doing this for years, a quick Goggle wil bring up loads of hits including http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/2014/02/the-rip-off-van-scam/

Same chap was in Walkley 1 month ago with the same excuse.

He started from £450 (£600 RPR according to his label on the mattress) and he ended up down to £70 ''just for me''.

Needless to say that the mattress looked like a piece of foam.

At the end, I said I will buy this foam off you for £20 for the dog so he left :)

He started from £450 (£600 RPR according to his label on the mattress) and he ended up down to £70 ''just for me''.

At the end, I said I will buy this foam off you for £20 for the dog so he left :)

we have a memory foam mattress and that is what they look like lol literally a big horrible colour sponge

Some of these Mattress salesmen are selling dirty soiled goods that have just had a new cover sewn on.

we have a memory foam mattress and that is what they look like lol literally a big horrible colour sponge

No they don't. We have a shop bought one which looks exactly like any other mattress. The average price is about £250. If anyone is selling one off a van for £70 it isn't a memory foam

No they don't. We have a shop bought one which looks exactly like any other mattress. The average price is about £250. If anyone is selling one off a van for £70 it isn't a memory foam

Or it is the memory foam and no mattress.

A memory foam topper is nowhere near as thick as a mattress and anyone who buys a piece of foam thinking it is a memory foam mattress clearly needs help

More to the point I think is that these are not FIRE PROOF and as such you'd be silly to buy one.

A memory foam topper is nowhere near as thick as a mattress and anyone who buys a piece of foam thinking it is a memory foam mattress clearly needs help

We bought a topper from T J Hughes and it is brilliant.

Was he driving a white DI-van?:P

And again in Dronfield a month-ish ago.

Had an extra line though - John Lewis duvets!

I was just parked in a lay-by waiting for a phone call, and the chancer just pulled up in front of me, leapt out and flung his back doors open even before he knocked on my car window!