Website Building Recommendations

Hello.

I am in search of any recommendations for good, user friendly website platforms to use for re-designing my website. I want to design and manage it myself, but I need simple as I am not overly techy or literate in html!

I run my own business as an artist, selling my work and services. I put together my current website (http://www.canvasfactory.co.uk) a few years ago using iWeb software (which irritates me and is very limiting in what can be done with it!). It serves its purpose for now but I am (VERY) aware of how convoluted it is and nothing flows well because I am not able to do the things I want with the software.

I am wanting to redesign it using a completely new platform, with integrated blog and potentially with an integrated shopping cart. I don't need a vast amount of pages but I do want to utilise subheaders and need plenty of space for gallery/shop items. I have looked at loads and played with a few but wanted to get some inspiration as to what people rated as good ones as I feel I've come to a hurdle here!

Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations :-)

Edited by KatTaylor

Just setting up a new website myself and have spent some time looking at what's out there. I've decided to go with Moonfruit. Have a look and hopefully it will meet your requirements.

Good luck.

PS fab business!

Thanks very much I haven't looked at that one, I will take a look cheers! and thank you, glad you think so :-) :-)

Hi Kat,

The option we'd recommend for your business would be the Wordpress platform.

We build these for clients who want to manage the website content for themselves and the Wordpress CMS (Content Management System) is perfect for people with very little coding experience.

And with over 40,000 plugins to choose from, it has everything you need.

If you have no tech knowledge at all i'd recommend wix, if you have a little then weebly -

Hi Kat,

The option we'd recommend for your business would be the Wordpress platform.

We build these for clients who want to manage the website content for themselves and the Wordpress CMS (Content Management System) is perfect for people with very little coding experience.

And with over 40,000 plugins to choose from, it has everything you need.

Thanks very much, it seems that is what most people have told me. I will investigate! Thanks :-)

---------- Post added 15-09-2015 at 14:07 ----------

If you have no tech knowledge at all i'd recommend wix, if you have a little then weebly -

Ok great, I will have a look at both, I have looked at Wix before so I will re-look at a few and make my decision.

Cheers :-)

I would second WordPress but choose a company who know the platform inside out. Your business is dependent on a good website so look for the best, not the cheapest. Remember to factor in the cost of maintenance - it will need regular updates to stay secure - that's really important, especially with e commerce.

A good website and search engine optimisation will pay dividends for your business so choose a really competent and enthusiastic web designer.

Good luck.

Edited by Jomie

I would recommend either Weebly or Wix (in that order) I have supported sole traders to use both.

Weebly is a nice 'drop and drag' platform with loads of templates, good tech support from them as well. I believe the starter account with Weebly enables you to display 10 products for e-commerce and you can also connect your domain name properly (I don't work for them honest)

But to cut down costs have you thought of creating a portfolio website, general info, events you are at etc, then redirecting and having your shop on something like Etsy, Folksy, Not on the High Street... your audience (sorry I am assuming your audience goes here) is already gathered in those places and they often show the 'other customers also like this item' where you could potentially show up... This way you don't have to manage the extra e-commerce stuff as a pre made site like Etsy etc, does it all for you :) of course they do take a small percentage but I think it is Etsy where you can pay £20 per month to list as much as you want and you keep all profits.

Alternatively a dedicated e-commerce builder I have used is Create.net that is around £110 per year. Lovely site, I believe easy to navigate round and now even easier to use (the when I first used it two years ago) with good tech support and guidance.

Happy to help if you want any guidance or just another opinion :)

*Good Luck*

Edited by VKirbyUK

I would recommend either Weebly or Wix (in that order) I have supported sole traders to use both.

Weebly is a nice 'drop and drag' platform with loads of templates, good tech support from them as well. I believe the starter account with Weebly enables you to display 10 products for e-commerce and you can also connect your domain name properly (I don't work for them honest)

But to cut down costs have you thought of creating a portfolio website, general info, events you are at etc, then redirecting and having your shop on something like Etsy, Folksy, Not on the High Street... your audience (sorry I am assuming your audience goes here) is already gathered in those places and they often show the 'other customers also like this item' where you could potentially show up... This way you don't have to manage the extra e-commerce stuff as a pre made site like Etsy etc, does it all for you :) of course they do take a small percentage but I think it is Etsy where you can pay £20 per month to list as much as you want and you keep all profits.

Alternatively a dedicated e-commerce builder I have used is Create.net that is around £110 per year. Lovely site, I believe easy to navigate round and now even easier to use (the when I first used it two years ago) with good tech support and guidance.

Happy to help if you want any guidance or just another opinion :)

*Good Luck*

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I have had a look at Wix before yes and I have had lots of useful advice so have been researching today (LOTS!).

I have had a Folksy (like Etsy) shop before and will probably go down that route again - Yes that was my alternative, to run my 'buy now' element through another platform. I am still undecided! So much to do :-)

Thanks so much for your comments, I will keep you updated!

Hi I can't fault 1 and 1 platform easy to use and good results and the technical support has been fantastic