Philadelphia Weslyn Reform Chapel

Does anyone remember this church?

My wife seem to think that she was taken by her father in the mid to late fifties to a big old building on a corner somewhere near Infirmary Road.

She doesn't normally get confused but I can't find any sign of what she might be talking about.

Thanks for the quick reply mafya but no, this is a possible replacement building.

We saw this one on the web but my wife thinks the one she went to was much older.

Old directories indicate that the Philadelphia Wesleyan Reform Church was on the corner of Robert Street and Edith Street. This was in the area where the Kelvin flats were later built - here's a map from the 1950s. The gable end of the building can just be seen on this 1962 aerial view..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Could it have been St Philips Church.

Which was at the junction of InfirmaryRd and Penistone Rd

oppsite the bottom of St Philips Rd

There was also, Ebenezer Wesleyan Mission Church, South Parade, Shalesmoor

Photos on "Picture Sheffield"

Edited by bazjea

Could it have been St Philips Church.

Which was at the junction of InfirmaryRd and Penistone Rd

oppsite the bottom of St Philips Rd

There was also, Ebenezer Wesleyan Mission Church, South Parade, Shalesmoor

Photos on "Picture Sheffield"

St. Philips church was demolished in the early 50s but I am not sure when it was last used

St. Philips church was demolished in the early 50s but I am not sure when it was last used

It was last used in 1941

Does anyone remember this church?

My wife seem to think that she was taken by her father in the mid to late fifties to a big old building on a corner somewhere near Infirmary Road.

She doesn't normally get confused but I can't find any sign of what she might be talking about.

According to the 1881 Sheffield Religious Survey, Philadelphia Wesleyan Reform Church had 250 seats with an attendance of 83 in the morning & 148 in the evening. So it was built before 1881 & that must be the church your mum attended.

I attended Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church from being a child in the 1940's & in the 1950's I recall visiting other Wesleyan Reform Churches & I am sure Philadelphia was one. I think it was the old church I went to & can seem to remember a big celebration when the new curent Church on Upperthorpe was built.

My parents were regular attenders at the Wesleyan Reform Church in Borough Road Owlerton, but we sometimes went to the Philadelphia church. The location was as shown on the map linked by Hillsbro, the entrance being on Robert Street. The first houses on Robert Street were built in the 1860s and Edith Street and the others that cross Robert Street followed in the 1870s, so I imagine this would have been when the church was built. All the buildings in the area were demolished in the early 1960s to make way for the Kelvin flats.

Thanks for the help everyone. This does look to be the one.

Now feeling very old seeing as the church was knocked down 50 or so years ago and the subsequent building has been and gone.

Hi Gordon, I have only just found this website.  Yes, the church did exist and I have photos of it also.  I will try and fish them out and post them on here.  My grandpa born in 1887 and lived on Daniel Hill attended there until they built the new one. I have got a photo of Philadelphia Wesleyan Reform Church in the Centenary Souvenir Booklet published in 1955.  I also do own an original photograph of it .   In the Centenary book on page four is - Greetings From the Church President, Wilfred Willis, who was my grandpa.  I have found out that unfortunately I can't post photos here.

Edited by jill williams
realised I couldn't post photos which I mentioned in the original post

So sorry to hear that the "new" Philadelphia Chapel has been demolished . What has been built in its place?

Jill - Do you know how to post photos?   This is example of how to do one using free photo hosting site  www.imgur.com  &  posting  url  code of image I have uploaded  & I can explain what do do if you wish

DaYifec.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qUROwA6.jpg

Edited by johnpm