Pork butchers down the Wicker

Hi,

Freidrich's was a top quality pork butchers and their pies,etc. were as good as everyone has said. The shope in the Wicker had been there most of the 20th century but I don't know the exact start date. Certainly it was there before World War I. According to my mother (who grew up in the area and went to school with a Freidrich daughter) hostility against business' with German names ran very high during the war. Hot-headed gangs roaming the streets at the time smashed all the windows in the shop at least once. The shop at Firth Park came later, and was where most of the famous pork pies and other products were made.

I was sorry to see the Wicker shop go down. In my childhood there, the Wicker was always busy with people from Pitsmoor walking by, and shopping, on their way to and from town. Also, a lot of people used to change trams and buses in the Wicker and did a little shopping in between. Thats why the side walks(pavements) were so wide, to handle all the foot traffic.

Business in the Wicker had also been in decline since the late 1930's when most of housing in area had been cleared. The explosion of car ownership in the 60's on, the closure of Victoria Station, changes to bus routes, closure of the steel works, etc. finally killed the Wicker trade.

Regards

Did Fredrich's go out of business or did they just move to a new location. I used to love their tomato sausage when I lived in Sheffield. At that time they were located in the Wicker. You could go behind the shop and see them making it. The place was spotless. They used large cans of Italian (Cirio) tomatoes. I left Sheffield in 1966 and got lost downtown when I visited relatives about 6 years ago.

Did Fredrich's go out of business or did they just move to a new location. I used to love their tomato sausage when I lived in Sheffield. At that time they were located in the Wicker. You could go behind the shop and see them making it. The place was spotless. They used large cans of Italian (Cirio) tomatoes. I left Sheffield in 1966 and got lost downtown when I visited relatives about 6 years ago.

The building is still there but, irony of ironies, is now in the hands of pork dodgers!

The building is still but, irony of ironies, is now in the hands of pork dodgers!

Will ‘pork dodgers’ be offended? And will the pro pork dodging left wing be offended on their behalf?

Will ‘pork dodgers’ be offended? And will the pro pork dodging left wing be offended on their behalf?

Lol, I think you already know which is the likeliest!

Edited by Jim Hardie

I can remember Schultz's pork butchers on Attercliffe Road near Gallon's store during in the 40's. They made the best pork pies I have ever tasted

Lol, I think you already know which is the likeliest!

Yep. ;)...................

My Grandad used to work for Freidrichs for many years. Finished there around 1958. I believe they also had a shop in Chesterfield.

If you want a good hot roast sarnie try Biers they have a shop in Hillsborough also one next to Tesco at Southey Green they are to die for

I have to agree with that, one of my childhood memories was "Freidrichs tomato sausage" My aunt Nellie who lived on "Hatfield House Lane in Shiregreen" used to worship them...I still (now and again ) go back to Sheffield and buy some tomato sausage..The best I can find is on "Chapel Walk" if anyone knows a better place let me know and I'll go there next time.

I used to live on Hatfield House Lane too, I remember getting pigs trotters from Freidrichs my mum used to put them in the stew it made lovely thick gravy.

One of our old neighbours always had dripping from there on toast every morning, she walked everywhere and lived to 95.

My grandfather Karl Suck worked at Friedrichs in the Wicker. He was the father of John Scott. I am interested in the history of Friedrichs where my grandfather worked. As it would help in my family tree research. It would be great if i could find some old photo's of the shop.

When my grandad Karl Suck was working there, i think there was another man working there who moved to Holland. Any ideas who this was?