Pork butchers down the Wicker

Any of you 'oldies' remember the name of the pork butchers located down the Wicker on the RHS moving away from town.

They used to sell the most magnificent pork scraps I have ever tasted. Never seen anything remotely like them since. They looked like oyster shells and made from layers of pork fat.

Think the name was something like Fredriches????

I believe they called it friedrichs and they also had a shop in Firth Park at the bottom of Bellhouse road .I used to like their polony and roast hocks,and if you bought a joint they always asked if you wanted it dipping.I always said no because I didn't know what they were dipping it in.Talking about the Wicker what's happened to all the pubs ?One left out of about 7 !

You're a star feederfil. Did the family retire or move away?

Can't answer you about the pubs as I was only a little girl when I used to be taken to the butchers shop.

The Wicker wasn't as depressing and run down as it is these days.

Yes definately Friedriches, although I know this is not spelt right.They had the wicker branch and bottom of Bellhouse Rd, they were on the go long before the war, the Firth Park shop closed in the 90's after the shop did not come up to local health regs, sad, their pork pies have never been bettered.

I know a former manager of the firth park shop (John Scott )who has a shop on Lindsay Ave,Parson cross.His father worked in the original shop down the wicker and his mother worked there also.

I know that in the late 80's/early 90's the buisness was taken over by the Nephew and it went down hill after that.

If you want to know any info John Scott can probably tell you..his No. is 0114 2570434.

Originally posted by feederfil

I believe they called it friedrichs and they also had a shop in Firth Park at the bottom of Bellhouse road .

Sure was, E. Friedrich & Son. They had a shop at the bottom of Bellhouse Road next to Styan's (bakers) and Watson's (family butcher).

If you've got a magnifying glass, you can see them from Hucklow Road at http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=308

Originally posted by superCol

Sure was, E. Friedrich & Son. They had a shop at the bottom of Bellhouse Road next to Styan's (bakers) and Watson's (family butcher).

If you've got a magnifying glass, you can see them from Hucklow Road at http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=308

My family owned a bakers there on bellhouse road, Merrills', or Morrell's, it was called... i can't quite remember, as it was a great-aunt/ uncle and their family that owned it.

PT

I remember there was a pork butchers on Attercliffe common near the Huntsman's Garden school opposite the old Lambpool pub.

They served up amazing pork sandwiches.

An old bespectacled lady with her hair done up in plaits German style used to stand facing the window carving the joint of pork. She was a true artist with that carving knife and fork I watched her every day whilst my mate Tony queued for the sandwiches. You didn't have to watch her long before your mouth was watering for one of her sandwiches.

What an Advert!

This shop had a German name but I cannot remember if it was Friedrich.

Perhaps someone could jolt my memory?

pop t

"SHULTZ'S"

been talking to a elderly relative, they reckon it was"Shultz's", telling me how whenever she served someone she would always wipe her hands on her apron before and after handling the money.

Thanks Pietro, you hit the nail on the head 'Shultz's' was the place and what a load of memories come flooding back.

I could taste one of those pork sandwiches right out here in New Zealand.

Lovely Jubbly!

The Pork bitchers shop in the wicker was called "Freidrichs"

( note the spelling as they german originated ) It was on the corner of willey street and the wicker I used to work at Samuel Osbournes at the bottom of Willey (where the car boot car park is now ) and yes their pork sandwiches were legendary

Their Pork pies and sausage were superb, to say nothing about the black pudding.:)