Sign in to follow this  

Would You Buy My House?

hi there, i am thinking of moving house i live in a 2 year old semi detached house which is lovely but i am getting itchy feet. the only problem is i have a lampost directly outside my home it is not even in between properties. and it is very very close to the house so i was wondering if it would put anybody off buying. i dont find the light a problem at night or anything because i have blackout blinds please tell me what you think.

hmm, if that's the biggest problem with your property, you shouldn't have much trouble selling ;)

I had a street lampost outside our house when we lived in Huddersfield. Fortunately we had a very long driveway, but it was very bright orange at night. To our luck the light went out, not sure whether the bulb had gone, and despite numerous calls to KMC to fix it they never bothered! We moved here and now have exactly the same problem, except closer.

Top tip is to show buyers round during the daytime hours, then it won't be an issue! Like you say, its just a case of blinds / curtains.

Just bought a house right on the street (haven't moved in yet) and the lampost is virtually attached to the front of the house (at upper window level between two bedroom wondows). I have to say, it was indeed a concern at first but the rest of the house has made me forget about it. Which reminds me that I will probably have to do something about it at some point...

Can you not get the council to fit a back box (I think that's what they're called) to prevent the light shining backwards? I remember getting one fixed to a lamp in Western Road when someone promised he'd vote Labour if we could do something about it.

ive already got one on it. i insisted they come and fit one on.

Wouldn't having a street light right outside your house make it more secure ?

You can always get blackout curtains.

ive already got them. as i said before it dosent bother me at all its just that im thinking of selling it would it put people off buying?

I'd make a point of saying that well-lit houses are less likely to get robbed in the night.

It wouldn't put me off buying.

Can you not get the council to fit a back box (I think that's what they're called) to prevent the light shining backwards? I remember getting one fixed to a lamp in Western Road when someone promised he'd vote Labour if we could do something about it.

Thanks for the Info, Max. I'll have to get one of them.