Morrissons to shut stores

I agree they were stupidly late into online, and I don't think I've ever come across an M Local stoe.

You see loads of the Tesco express ones, even at Petrol stations (which is a brilliant idea)

It's a pity because the big stores are great.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic when you say having supermarkets at petrol stations is a good idea.

It's far from given the number of times I've been to a petrol station that has a supermarket only to find that the empty cars sat at the pumps belong to some twunt doing a weekly shop!

Please tell me you are being sarcastic when you say having supermarkets at petrol stations is a good idea.

It's far from given the number of times I've been to a petrol station that has a supermarket only to find that the empty cars sat at the pumps belong to some twunt doing a weekly shop!

Supermarkets getting involved in selling fuel has befitted the consumer massively.

I hate to think what a litre of unleaded would cost if it weren't for the supermarket 'price wars'

Supermarkets getting involved in selling fuel has befitted the consumer massively.

I hate to think what a litre of unleaded would cost if it weren't for the supermarket 'price wars'

I agree however that's not the point of the post nor the thread.

Plenty of supermarket stations are separate from the store physically, which is how is should be.

On numerous occasions where the store and station are one and the same I've sat waiting for a pump, with an empty vehicle parked at one only for it's owner to come wandering out with bags of produce because they've gone and done some shopping.

There are two M related stories, this one is about the closure of 11 "full size" stores.

From a retail perspective I believe they and the other big supermarket have made one big mistake, and that is diversifying away from just selling food to other things.

They have tried to compete with white goods sales when in most cases other dedicated on-line stores are cheaper. They also now sell other none food goods which takes away the food footfall. ASDA, Sainsburys and Morrisons have all copied each other and made the same mistakes by doing that.

They need to get back and concentrate on just food sales again and ditch the rest.

From a retail perspective I believe they and the other big supermarket have made one big mistake, and that is diversifying away from just selling food to other things.

They have tried to compete with white goods sales when in most cases other dedicated on-line stores are cheaper. They also now sell other none food goods which takes away the food footfall. ASDA, Sainsburys and Morrisons have all copied each other and made the same mistakes by doing that.

They need to get back and concentrate on just food sales again and ditch the rest.

With electricals they thought it would be easy incremental income.

What they failed to realise is that its not that easy.

Customers often need advice,delivery and install options and then you have the problems with returns whether faulty or customer error where they lack the skills and facilities to test products and educate customers.

I heard some years back that Tesco had a warehouse full of returned products that they did not know what to do with.

I noticed many have scaled back in this area lately.

Their branding is dated. I appreciate that is is meant to look traditional but it could still do with being updated.

The last time I went on their website it listed no products whatsoever just a basic site with a store locator if I remember right. Unlike the other big supermarkets where you could and can still search and purchase products.

Some of their in store stuff like bakery is good. But most of their products are overpriced. And this has got to be the biggest issue. I can easily get to an Aldi, Netto, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl and Sainsburys. I live in S5. Why would I choose to go to Morrisons to pay more for something than I would at ASDA?

Some of their in store stuff like bakery is good. But most of their products are overpriced. And this has got to be the biggest issue. I can easily get to an Aldi, Netto, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl and Sainsburys. I live in S5. Why would I choose to go to Morrisons to pay more for something than I would at ASDA?

Just been in my local store, more offers, but the range of food and household that they sell seems to have gone down, but they now have a section for childrens clothes.

Just been in my local store, more offers, but the range of food and household that they sell seems to have gone down, but they now have a section for childrens clothes.

Just the same as ASDA and Sainsburys have.

maybe the laid off employees will be took on by the likes of lidl/aldi/netto etc

Would these stores be interested in taking on ex Morrisons workers ?

I have noticed when I am in Aldi the staff seem to have a number of different tasks and always seem to be busy . I cannot say the same for some of the Morrisons staff I have observed .

I have stopped shopping in my local Morrisons because of the queues. I usually shop on a weekday evening and it was not uncommon to find only 2 or 3 checkouts open, with queues four or five customers deep. And the manager did nothing about it.

At the tobacco kiosk one poor person is trying to sell cigarettes and newspapers, lottery, electrical goods, take in and return dry cleaning and do refunds etc. on the Customer Services desk.

They launched a loyalty card that's worthless.

Shame about M Local though, I find my local one quite useful. Having said that, it's hard to go wrong when most of your customers are just buying beer/milk/tea bags!

I live closer to a Morrisons than to any other supermarket, but I would rather drive to another shop, for a whole load of reasons, including the ridiculous queues, the temperature in the store under a glass roof, incessant and unaddressed parking problems and poor quality fresh produce (which I am told by others has since been improved). However, if I can't park in a disabled bay close enough to get around the store because they are constantly full even at times when half of the rest of the car park is empty (and when Tesco and Asda would have plenty of disabled spots) then any other improvements will fail to get me back as a customer.