Banning protests in South Yorkshire?

well to what ive seen on youtube it was pakistani youth who wanted a fight with the police , one youth can be heard saying "get bricks out " .

I'm no fan of the UAF but giving fascists unchallenged dominance of the streets when they march is not the answer.

But is giving them a greater audience and a fight really the answer either? I'm not sure which of the 2 evils is the better option. But one comes with a significantly lower price tag...

well to what ive seen on youtube it was pakistani youth who wanted a fight with the police , one youth can be heard saying "get bricks out " .

I saw the same clip and my understanding was the youths were fighting the EDL and the police was just stuck in the middle.

That's a good point. Going further, football clubs have to pay for policing. Should any group planning a protest have to pay?

The sad thing is that the vast majority of protests need no policing, or at least shouldn't need any. To be fair, exactly the same as football. Find a way to isolate and arrest the minority on both sides that cause the trouble and let the law abiding majority get on with their protests.

That's a good point. Going further, football clubs have to pay for policing. Should any group planning a protest have to pay?

I don't think the two can be compared that easily. Football clubs are normally very rich and can afford to pay its player and managers very well so can in effect afford it. Those costs as well as policing the game is then offset in ticket prices.

Maybe any person wanting to march should also pay a fee to join the march which then gets passed on for the policing of that march. The march can be organised and ticket only which could be a lawful way of dealing with it.

Just to add.. I did notice that these marches do tend to have an over-the-top presence by the police.

I don't think the two can be compared that easily. Football clubs are normally very rich and can afford to pay its player and managers very well so can in effect afford it. Those costs as well as policing the game is then offset in ticket prices.

Maybe any person wanting to march should also pay a fee to join the march which then gets passed on for the policing of that march. The march can be organised and ticket only which could be a lawful way of dealing with it.

Just to add.. I did notice that these marches do tend to have an over-the-top presence by the police.

What a brilliant idea.

And if the fees are set at the right level, that means that only those who are well off are allowed a protest.

We could extend the model to cover administration costs of elections and the like

The old Voltaire quote of I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. is very pertinent here. Even if I disagree with the protests, they are happening for a reason.

Guest sibon
The old Voltaire quote of I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. is very pertinent here. Even if I disagree with the protests, they are happening for a reason.

That old Voltaire mis-quote. :)

What a brilliant idea.

And if the fees are set at the right level, that means that only those who are well off are allowed a protest.

We could extend the model to cover administration costs of elections and the like

would that extend to picket lines?

I can see both sides of the argument re the drain on public money and the losses experienced by town centre businesses and also the anger of the protest groups. To ban protest marches would set a dangerous precedent and would goalong nicely with the cuts to legal aid in yet another move to control the masses. Take a good long look at this government and that of nazi germany....many similarities.

There is talk in todays star from Rotherham council and South Yorkshire police, looking at the possibility of banning far right protesters (and counter protesters) from protesting in South Yorkshire.

They quote a £4million cost to policing these recent protests.

I would normally always support the right to protest, but the thing is the majority of these protesters (on both sides) are not from the local area, they are targeting here for political reasons. So I say limit them if not ban them.

I think we should protest at this! :hihi:

I saw the same clip and my understanding was the youths were fighting the EDL and the police was just stuck in the middle.

Do I understand that you think it's OK to throw bricks at someone because of their views? It's not right to throw bricks at the police, EDL members, communists, Pakistanis, even at Unitedites or anyone else unless you have to do it to defend yourself, your property or someone else or their property. Just take a bit of time to think, eh?