Are people with disabilities normal?

Iain Duncan Smith today:

"I think the figure is now over 220,000, which I believe is the highest figure since records began, in proportionate terms, but the most important point is that we are looking to get that up to the level of normal, non-disabled people who are back in work. Those with disabilities have every right and every reason to expect exactly the same support into work that everybody else gets,”

Inferring that disabled people aren't normal, isn't perhaps the worst thing that Iain Duncan Smith has done in his controversial reign at the DWP, but I do think it is indicative of his discriminatory attitude. And reflects the complete lack of empathy shown by the DWP to jobseekers in general, and disabled people in particular under his reign.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/08/iain-duncan-smith-disability-normal-commons

Oh dear, IDS putting his foot in it. Just like DC when he referred to the immigrants as a swarm. The press will be quick to latch onto this one

I see the Giardian are quick to stir up the synthetic outrage. As per, if you pardon the pun, normal.

Iain Duncan Smith today:

"I think the figure is now over 220,000, which I believe is the highest figure since records began, in proportionate terms, but the most important point is that we are looking to get that up to the level of normal, non-disabled people who are back in work. Those with disabilities have every right and every reason to expect exactly the same support into work that everybody else gets,”

Inferring that disabled people aren't normal, isn't perhaps the worst thing that Iain Duncan Smith has done in his controversial reign at the DWP, but I do think it is indicative of his discriminatory attitude. And reflects the complete lack of empathy shown by the DWP to jobseekers in general, and disabled people in particular under his reign.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/08/iain-duncan-smith-disability-normal-commons

Sorry to disappoint you but disabled people are not normal if you understand the meaning of the word. In other words they are not the norm.

Normal = The usual, typical, or expected state or condition.

I do realise that words take on different meanings over the years and perhaps was used unwisely in this case but was technically correct.

Sorry to disappoint you but disabled people are not normal if you understand the meaning of the word. In other words they are not the norm.

Normal = The usual, typical, or expected state or condition.

I do realise that words take on different meanings over the years and perhaps was used unwisely in this case but was technically correct.

But, oh no, we must throw our hands up in feigned outrage and shock!:loopy:

But, oh no, we must throw our hands up in feigned outrage and shock!:loopy:

You don't have to do anything you don't want :rolleyes:

I am aware in this day and age, disabled people killing themselves after being assessed as fit for work under the WCA, barely passes as news; but if gay people were described as not normal by a government minister then no doubt they would face censure from David Cameron.

Why does everyone get so upset about everything?

I have a lazy eye. Am I normal? To be fair, I couldn't care less what people call me.

Today's society is too touchy.

I run a charity for people with disabilities and I am totally against the faux outrage and brown stirring that has been directed towards IDS.

Parents, carers, social workers and dozens of other contacts occasionally use the word "normal". Yes it is a rather poor word to choose. Yes there are better words to use but jesus tonight, we really can be spared all of the "off with his head" garbage that has been splashed all over certain media.

Give it ten minutes before the leftie brigade use it as another stick to beat the government with.

Its a word. Cambridge defines it as:

not different or ​special or ​unexpected in any way.

People with disabilities are, Special. Different. Whilst there is no reason to treat them differently as a descriptor we cannot pretend something doesn't exist.

Will there be faux outrage over the "special" Olympics or "Paralympic" games.

I run a charity for people with disabilities and I am totally against the faux outrage and brown stirring that has been directed towards IDS.

Parents, carers, social workers and dozens of other contacts occasionally use the word "normal". Yes it is a rather poor word to choose. Yes there are better words to use but jesus tonight, we really can be spared all of the "off with his head" garbage that has been splashed all over certain media.

Give it ten minutes before the leftie brigade use it as another stick to beat the government with.

People with disabilities are, Special. Different. Whilst there is no reason to treat them differently as a descriptor we cannot pretend something doesn't exist.

Very good.:)

First of all - good on you.

Second - you are correct.

Inferring that disabled people aren't normal

With 64 million people living in the UK, how many will be 'normal, the middle 20 million?

Just another word for average, its just Tory bashing, a very enjoyable pass-time, but give the man a break.

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 21:05 ----------

I have a lazy eye. Am I normal?

Me too ;)

What's that sound?? oh, its the sound of the bottom of a barrel being scraped out. :roll:

We all insert words that we don't consciously mean to when we're speaking from time to time.

Edited by Hots on