Is It Time Schools Dropped School Uniforms?

Parents and teachers are supposed to work in partnership and present a united front. Why do so many parents treat teachers as the enemy? Teachers have the best interests of the children at heart.

What parents don't seem to realise is that in a school, if you make an exception for one, you have to make an exception for all, and rules just fall apart. Trust me, parents wouldn't want their kids to go to a school with no rules. Anarchy and learning do not make good bedfellows.

However schools also have a duty to make sure that rules are reasonable and in the best interests of the children at large, and by and large they do.

There is plenty of chance for children to express their individuality outside school, and at weekends, but in school they have to wear the correct uniform and look smart. That should include hair and shoes. Kids might not like wearing uniform, but they do like the sense of belonging to a community, and that is signified, not least, by all wearing the same thing.

No. They should stop forcing parents to buy from exclusive suppliers at great expense. Otherwise, according to some of the ads, you can buy a uniform for a tenner.

Agree 100%

In the area where I live now is what would classed as a depraved area

Do you live on the Reeperbahn? :hihi:

They learn lots of rules from their parents. With more and more schools becoming academies, and the Hitler style policies around the dress code, there is very little choice in choosing a school.

It used to be just the Grammar schools with strict uniform policy.

They are trying to make all the children the same, times are changing, they are all different.

Well true - especially loosing the "art of tying a tie" through Clip-on's ... like when we did them thin at School:)

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 22:17 ----------

I remember well the days of having dozens of badges under the Myers Grove blazer trying to subvert a very strict uniform policy in any way we could.QUOTE]

Agree mate - same at my School. I still to this day believe in the theory "rules are meant to be broken/and being a rebel without a cause/reason" :rolleyes:

I went to school a school where there was no uniform and we were allowed to wear clothes of our own choice. The school did actually claim a uniform policy, but by the middle of Year 7 no-one wore it and it went unchallenged. I wasn't one of the 'in crowd' because my parents couldn't afford to buy me Levi jeans, Fred Perry T shirts etc. (this was the 70s). I was never bullied or mocked because of this, but it did affect my self-esteem. I saw the kids who were wearing the expensive fashions as being cooler, therefore better, than me.This is why I vote for school uniform.

I went to school a school where there was no uniform and we were allowed to wear clothes of our own choice. The school did actually claim a uniform policy, but by the middle of Year 7 no-one wore it and it went unchallenged. I wasn't one of the 'in crowd' because my parents couldn't afford to buy me Levi jeans, Fred Perry T shirts etc. (this was the 70s). I was never bullied or mocked because of this, but it did affect my self-esteem. I saw the kids who were wearing the expensive fashions as being cooler, therefore better, than me.This is why I vote for school uniform.

This is fine mate - but sadly it still doesn't always "cut the mustard, this way"!

Parents and teachers are supposed to work in partnership and present a united front. Why do so many parents treat teachers as the enemy? Teachers have the best interests of the children at heart.

What parents don't seem to realise is that in a school, if you make an exception for one, you have to make an exception for all, and rules just fall apart. Trust me, parents wouldn't want their kids to go to a school with no rules. Anarchy and learning do not make good bedfellows.

However schools also have a duty to make sure that rules are reasonable and in the best interests of the children at large, and by and large they do.

There is plenty of chance for children to express their individuality outside school, and at weekends, but in school they have to wear the correct uniform and look smart. That should include hair and shoes. Kids might not like wearing uniform, but they do like the sense of belonging to a community, and that is signified, not least, by all wearing the same thing.

Some parents probably treat teachers as the enemy because

some teachers are arrogant enough to think they know best and know more than the parents about what is best for the child, any chance of presenting a united front and working in partnership is lost once you dictate the terms of that partnership.

I don't see how teaching children that their appearance is more important than their education is in their best interest.

The common factor in all the examples above are that all the schools are acadamies,I am glad we endeavoured to get a school that wasn't one!

The common factor in all the examples above are that all the schools are acadamies,I am glad we endeavoured to get a school that wasn't one!

Well true ... it's just yet another re-hashing at calling them Grammer schools/trying to return something that once was something, to something it's not/can't be

Why not let parents buy from george asda etc. nice smart not expensive.

Regarding the school logo give them a badge to put on.

A teenager was sent home from school at the beginning of the new term because teachers said her trousers were "too tight".

Harriet Dale, 15, claims she was told her trousers were not suitable to be worn at the school which recently banned skirts to save the blushes of male members of staff.

The Year 11 student says she was told to go home and change her trousers or face being put in isolation.

Her mum Helen was has been left incensed by the decision of staff at Trentham High School in Stoke-on-Trent at the start of "the most important year of her life" and fears the incident could knock her self-confidence.

It comes just months after the school imposed a blanket ban on skirts because it was a "distraction" for male members of staff.

I think she looks very smart and can't understand what the school want.

Sorry couldn't post the picture.