Is It Time Schools Dropped School Uniforms?

More to the point - I wonder how many go out the door looking smart - wearing proper School Trousers but have Tracksuit Bottoms on too and then change at School and feed them a sob story or the same for Trainers etc too. A lot more goes on regards tis than is "really" known I think/believe and most of the Liberal Do-gooder Teachers of Today sadly fall for these sob-stories to avoid arguments with the KIds (more so if the say "well my Mum's ill and/or the washer is on the blink"

It depends on the school. Parents of students not in uniform will receive a phone call from their year head to confirm this.

Any lies and they'll be put in isolation or given a loan uniform.

If some schools want to do away with school uniform, I've no problem with that. It's up to the parents to choose which school to send their children to.

All schools should be suitable for 90% of children, when it what they wear.

SEN schools do often have a uniform, but it is often just not worn. Parents should be able to choose their nearest school, if that does not happen, it can have massive impact on transport costs, and increase 'dead' time whilst sat in a bus/train/car.

It depends on the school. Parents of students not in uniform will receive a phone call from their year head to confirm this.

That might be what you believe but has as always been the case kids have an "hidden agenda" to get round such matters :)

I went to a school with no uniform. I was severely bullied because my mum could not afford to buy me Nike trainers, and for been a white kid who didn't talk 'street black'

Well me and a fair few did the England 2010 Home Footy shirt as our School one ... no probs

Many too who had Polo Shirt Uniforms "subbed' these for Footy Shirts too ;)

I love school uniforms, means my kid won't ruin his nice weekend clothes with food and dirt :) Although I wish my school would allow any choice of backpack, as my kid says the bag they issue is too small and always breaks easily :/ I'd love to get him one of these school backpacks by ergobag, as they have more room, plus I could spot him in a crowd easier :D

I love school uniforms, means my kid won't ruin his nice weekend clothes with food and dirt :) Although I wish my school would allow any choice of backpack, as my kid says the bag they issue is too small and always breaks easily :/ I'd love to get him one of these school backpacks by ergobag, as they have more room, plus I could spot him in a crowd easier :D

Why do school shirts have to be white? My OH's lad has ruined 2 already this year, God knows what he gets on them, but even bleach and stain remover won't get the stains out :confused:

I think black would be a better option :hihi:

Ha, yeah school uniforms always seem to be light coloured :/

It is kept saying it cuts bullying out - but as I have mentioned iotherwise - what about those who want Ben Sherman Shirts not George ones or Chicos not Trousers - I'm sure a lot exist ... it is the same as not having a uniform but being more subtle

There's no evidence whatsoever that uniform has any effect on bullying. There are, and always will be, bullies and uniforms don't stop them.

There's no evidence whatsoever that uniform has any effect on bullying. There are, and always will be, bullies and uniforms don't stop them.

Exactly what I've been trying to say all a-long :)

There's no evidence whatsoever that uniform has any effect on bullying.

Having a uniform helps to reduce bullying in school, makes children better behaved outside the school gates and even aids concentration in class, researchers said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-467353/School-uniform-improves-pupils-behaviour-school.html

BULLYING and truancy has fallen in city schools where strict new uniform policies have been introduced.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/the-uniform-way-to-beat-the-bullies-1-1071132

Schools find stricter rules, uniforms can lessen bullying

http://www.northjersey.com/news/schools-find-stricter-rules-uniforms-can-lessen-bullying-1.209423?page=all

However, he decided Anthony Gell should remain non-uniform. "As long as students come appropriately dressed, clothing isn't a major factor in their learning. I believe in treating children as individuals with rights and responsibilities."

A similar ethos holds sway at King Edward VI community college in Totnes, Devon, where seven years ago the governors "did a brave thing", says the principal, Kate Mason, and abolished uniform.

"It was unusual even then to be a state school without a uniform, but we felt we were spending far too much time addressing issues of non-compliance," says Mason. "Too many conversations with students were about tucking shirts in. We were desperate to focus on the important issues of teaching and learning."

In an age when politicians preach diversity and choice, she finds the insistence on uniform contradictory. "We believe all students are different and we believe in celebrating that. Our school is oversubscribed, our results are better than ever, our students are confident and comfortable. Even if there was something I wanted to fix, I wouldn't do it with uniform."

Supporters of uniform insist that it improves behaviour and builds community spirit. Pupils "enjoy the sense of pride they get from wearing a smart uniform, and the smarter the better," according to research by Oxford Brookes University. The findings were well publicised; the fact that the research was sponsored by the Schoolwear Association was less so.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/jan/18/school-uniform-results