How do I know if my bunny's are pregnant

Hi I am a bit worried as this morning I had two female rabbits delivered for free and the previous owners said that they're not so keen on being picked up. I brought them both in and their stomachs were swollen and they do not like being picked up because they kick and struggle to try and get away does anyone know if they could be pregnant xx:confused:

Hi,

As you've just got them, it would be a good idea to book them into a vet for a check-over, vaccinations etc anyway - they'd be best placed to give you an opinion (and to confirm gender - it can be hard to tell with rabbits!). Some vets are better than others for small animals - we take ours to Vets4Pets in Millhouses who have always been good.

Even if they're both girls it might be a good idea to have them neutered, as a very high proportion develop uterine cancer within a few years. If it's possible, check what the previous owners were feeding them as well - buns can get quite ill from a sudden change of diet so it's always a good idea to transition them gently if you're giving them different food.

Hope that doesn't sound too overwhelming- they make lovely pets! If you have any other queries, there's a pets section on here, or feel free to pm me..

Tom

P.S. ours aren't overly excited about getting picked up either (even after 6yrs..)

Hi thank you for the information I have 2 other female rabbits and I have had them for three years and I can tell what sex they are and my two buns I got today are definitely girls and also the food that the previous owners were giving to them I am giving to them as they came with a bag of rabbit food x

Many years ago I had a rabbit called Tom. He often used to escape and disappear for a while but did used to come back, the last time he shredded my Orange space hopper. Shortly after some baby rabbits appeared, Tom was renamed Thomasina :)

Edited by Jon26
and

Awwww bless I bet you were very shocked and my two girl rabbits are sisters that I bought yesterday called fudge and Caramel they are seven months old. When I looked on Gumtree for another female rabbit that needed rehoming I came across fudge and Caramel they were free to a good home and they came with a two tiered hutch wich you can separate because there is a little flap that shuts at the top of the stairs and toys etc. I found this very weird as someone would not give away there loving companion also in the part where it tells you about them it said need to get rid asap. So I rang them up and asked if they were still available and they were they seemed very eager for me to have them they delivered them for a tenner and when they came he said they weren't bothered with them anymore when I brought them in they loved to be on your lap and being made a fuss of but their bellys were very swollen I cleaned their hutch and noticed that their were spray marks in the hutch. I picked them up wich they did not like and when I went to put them in their hutch they kicked and kicked to get in so I out them in their hutch. I have out lots of hay into the beds and I separate them at night Caramel the one with the swolenist belly always lies in her bed and roots around in their? I am very confused.

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

It's day two and she still hasn't made a nest but she has pulled fur out (about a handful) when I opened her bed to see if she made a nest she ran in there and lay at the back of her bed I stroked her and she started to crouch lower so I left her alone. Seeing that she had no babies I opened the hatch at the top of the stairs so she could see her sister and they started nudging each others bums and running for after each other so I have separated them again xx

Awwww bless I bet you were very shocked and my two girl rabbits are sisters that I bought yesterday called fudge and Caramel they are seven months old. When I looked on Gumtree for another female rabbit that needed rehoming I came across fudge and Caramel they were free to a good home and they came with a two tiered hutch wich you can separate because there is a little flap that shuts at the top of the stairs and toys etc. I found this very weird as someone would not give away there loving companion also in the part where it tells you about them it said need to get rid asap. So I rang them up and asked if they were still available and they were they seemed very eager for me to have them they delivered them for a tenner and when they came he said they weren't bothered with them anymore when I brought them in they loved to be on your lap and being made a fuss of but their bellys were very swollen I cleaned their hutch and noticed that their were spray marks in the hutch. I picked them up wich they did not like and when I went to put them in their hutch they kicked and kicked to get in so I out them in their hutch. I have out lots of hay into the beds and I separate them at night Caramel the one with the swolenist belly always lies in her bed and roots around in their? I am very confused.

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

It's day two and she still hasn't made a nest but she has pulled fur out (about a handful) when I opened her bed to see if she made a nest she ran in there and lay at the back of her bed I stroked her and she started to crouch lower so I left her alone. Seeing that she had no babies I opened the hatch at the top of the stairs so she could see her sister and they started nudging each others bums and running for after each other so I have separated them again xx

Depending on how they have been handled from a young age will depend on how they behave now , I have had rabbits over 51 years , i have had various experiences with bad handling by previous owners .

Start by offering gently food and letting them come to you , they have to build a relationship with you .

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 10:00 ----------

Hi,

As you've just got them, it would be a good idea to book them into a vet for a check-over, vaccinations etc anyway - they'd be best placed to give you an opinion (and to confirm gender - it can be hard to tell with rabbits!). Some vets are better than others for small animals - we take ours to Vets4Pets in Millhouses who have always been good.

Even if they're both girls it might be a good idea to have them neutered, as a very high proportion develop uterine cancer within a few years. If it's possible, check what the previous owners were feeding them as well - buns can get quite ill from a sudden change of diet so it's always a good idea to transition them gently if you're giving them different food.

Hope that doesn't sound too overwhelming- they make lovely pets! If you have any other queries, there's a pets section on here, or feel free to pm me..

Tom

P.S. ours aren't overly excited about getting picked up either (even after 6yrs..)

The best rabbit savvy vets are Anita at huntersbar vets , Alan at Beach house and peak vets . I know Scot and caroline from Millhouses vets for pets were great with bunnies but recently several customers have been disapointed in treatment there for their rabbits .

I have had rabbits for 12 years and I know there behaviour and birth and I just did go and speak to her and she came to me but she still doesn't like it when I goo near her.

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 19:18 ----------

Hi it's still day two and I am starting to realty think she is pregnant 1.i looked on Internet and it said when they are 21 weeks their babies would feel like the size of small eggs and that is what I felt also my mom just held her and she felt 3 kicks from the side of her belly xx

I have had rabbits for 12 years and I know there behaviour and birth and I just did go and speak to her and she came to me but she still doesn't like it when I goo near her.

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 19:18 ----------

Hi it's still day two and I am starting to realty think she is pregnant 1.i looked on Internet and it said when they are 21 weeks their babies would feel like the size of small eggs and that is what I felt also my mom just held her and she felt 3 kicks from the side of her belly xx

Take them to a vet

It's day 3 so maybe it's day 23 of the pregnancy and I woke up this morning and she has made a little hill like nest lump thing in her bedding wich could be a nest but she hasn't put any fur in it also yesterday I shredded some news paper and put it in for her as nesting material and she has used that. This morning she is also very hungry she was tipping her food bowl up because she had ate it all so I gave her some more food and kurly kale and she has now ate all that too.she has also been licking herself down there a lot to. I'm very confused.

Best bet would be to take them to a vet.