Forge Valley sends a pupil home because of haircut

Children are prepared for work while they're at school, too; not only the basics of skill-based essentials (project planning, research, working to deadlines, teamwork etc) but also more broadly about punctuality and timekeeping, for example, and getting used to the various rules and regulations some workplaces impose on their staff, much as the staff might object: dress codes, for example. It would be great if parents supported the schools' endeavours, but that's clearly not always the case.

By the time some of them go off to university as adults, most of them have likely internalised the fundamentals learnt at school about how to rub along at work, and should have the maturity and responsibility to apply that knowledge as they see fit.

Very nicely put. At university you are expected to be able to manage your timetable and direct your own studies - no-one is going to chase you if you don't attend lectures.

School is laying the groundwork for this.

The school would have set out its rules on uniform , haircuts , jewelery etc ,so the parents have no excuses for not abiding by the rules.

The parents are totally in the wrong here and the school is just upholding its rules.

I'm intrigued as to what human right was breached though.

The right to look like a Pratt

...Obviously this was a selected course with specific study requirements, but then again so is school.

The school's requirements do sound rather excessive, but there's not enough information in the article to judge exactly why the school thinks the equipment, in their specified sizes, is so vital. The key thing for me is that the school sent the equipment list home several weeks ago. The parents have had sufficient time not only to shop accordingly, but to question the list if they objected to, or were bewildered by, its contents.

The school must have a document, available to the parents, detailing the responses to pupils failing to comply with the school's various policies and regulations. It seems odd that parents are only now expressing astonishment at the policy and the outcome.

This made me chuckle:

One parent, Hannah Sills, who has written to the head teacher to complain, said parents had "been in tears" and she has accused the school of creating a "culture of fear".

Many of the schools in Sheffield have been full circle with the uniform game and, the fact is that they have been disgracefully failing to successfully educate our young people in the past.

What goes down OK in the Nederlands or Germany has not worked in Sheffield.

Maybe a lot of it has to do with parental attitudes, but schools must be given the support to allow the majority of the students within their school to receive a quality of education that will send them out into the world with a good foundation for success.

If you don't like uniform rules, go to a school that meets your wishes.

Parents! Want to take a holiday in term time?

Don't ask the school for time off. They will refuse because education is so important.

Simply give your kid a non-conformist hair style. The school will provide an unlimited amount of time off because education isn't important. Hair is.

Enjoy your hols! 8):partyhat::headbang::wave::banana:

Spot on flexo.This girls hair will probably take a month to grow to what is acceptable,so has the silly headmaster given her a nice long holiday?

...What does exist is bullying, everywhere. Hiding behind a rigid uniform based protocol is not going to change that, ...

School uniform policy is a red herring when it comes to bullying, as is the 'freedom of expression' argument used by many of those who oppose school uniform.

We all know how kind children are, especially to those who are a bit different: express love for the wrong actor, or wear a pink skirt on a peach day, and social isolation beckons. Listen to Depeche Mode instead of One Direction and the kid's likely to be a pariah for the rest of its days at school (or at least until Heather 1 decides that Martin Gore is way cooler than Harry Styles). Few are more cliquey and conforming than young teenagers.

They're reporting about this on Look North now .......... what a total pratt she looks. :gag: The school were correct to send her home.

There isn't a limit for adults... So why do different rules apply to children?

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 09:00 ----------

Which is more a question about why the rule exists at all (and I'm playing devils advocate).

There ARE no rules in the world of chavdom for parents or their kids............or did you not know that.

I agree with uniforms. That way it avoids some children being bullied for not having a certain pair of designer trainers, or a certain brand of tshirt etc. Kids can be cruel!

As for this woman - what kind of child is she raising, if she is encouraging her to break the rules? Rules are there for a purpose, and if you want your child to be able to express herself, send her to a school which will allow it. They knew the rules, yet flaunted them nonetheless.

I understand the school has had bullying problems since the school opened so its nothing to do with uniform .

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 20:52 ----------

My 3 daughters attend FV and have never had a problem, my eldest has just gone into her GCSE years and is flourishing...

have a search in Sheffield star for FV and ask a few local parents should get a better picture :)

My sons also go to forge valley and we don't have any problems. The eldest is in all the top sets is doing great and abides by the rules. He says all the ones who moan are the ones who cause all the trouble and the kids are never at school anyway. He says a lot of them are an embarrassment and should be kicked out not just sent home. As for asking a few local parents, if it's the ones I'm thinking of they have done nothing but moan since it was being built, some of their kids are constantly getting suspended and fighting and are the problem anyway so please by all means remove them from the school, send them elsewhere and let our children who want to learn get on with it.

Edited by TFI THURSDAY

My sons also go to forge valley and we don't have any problems. The eldest is in all the top sets is doing great and abides by the rules. He says all the ones who moan are the ones who cause all the trouble and the kids are never at school anyway. He says a lot of them are an embarrassment and should be kicked out not just sent home.

Can you ask how many teachers hes had last yr ? only ask as the school seems to have so many that's left , come to think of it did the school fail at one bit , hence another headteacher Mr B , I can only go on the facts given , my son also goes there and had 13 maths teachers in one term , plus 3 head of yrs , so not sure its all about the pupils that cause trouble as youre eldest says .

As for the Rules , I can understand some but the ones where like my son had a very thin micro white line on his trainer , he got sent home for and a detention I recall , I even told the school at the time cant he just get a marker pen to colour it in ? answer was no :hihi::hihi: so he missed a days education cuz of a white line - sounds great don't it

another rule - kids had to be stopped playing football at break time or morning time , WHY you may ask - Mr B stated the pupils may get hurt ?? I could go on .......