Forge Valley sends a pupil home because of haircut

Sorry Tess, but that argument (bullying) is nonsense, I have worked in a secondary school in the Netherlands for years and bullying occurred regardless of what kids were wearing.

No it isn't.

It doesn't eliminate bullying, but it does take out the designer / poor clothing factor.

No it isn't.

It doesn't eliminate bullying, but it does take out the designer / poor clothing factor.

Don't you just get the 'your uniform is from from Asda, mine's from John Lewis' sort of shift in the clothing-relating bullying instead? My pencil case is better than your plastic bag, and so on. It's probably still obvious which kids are from poorer backgrounds, and the bullying goes on accordingly.

Yup this. I have had all sorts of crazy haircuts, had it fluorescent red when I was 14 (parents were cool with it) but it went back to 'boring brown' before the first day of school as dem were the rules. My parents totally supported harmless freedom of expression and experimentation but I also needed to understand that the world has rules and even if they sometimes seem stupid to me I have to obey or actively campaign against them (while still obeying them!)

The world has laws, those you HAVE to obey.

Rules are less clear cut I'd have thought. You can simply opt out of the system which created them. Children can't though, putting them in a different situation to adults and uniform rules (don't like it as an adult, quit the job, go work elsewhere, go and live in a forest if you like, you can't do that as a child).

The world has laws, those you HAVE to obey.

Rules are less clear cut I'd have thought. You can simply opt out of the system which created them. Children can't though, putting them in a different situation to adults and uniform rules (don't like it as an adult, quit the job, go work elsewhere, go and live in a forest if you like, you can't do that as a child).

But the adult who allowed you to ignore the rules can take you out and home school you.If the parent can't and won't stick to the rules then go for that option.

Education includes being educated in following general guidelines and rules and adherence even if you don't agree. What educational value would there be in educating a child to ignore rules and suffer the legal ramifications whilst professing innocence ?

Parents! Want to take a holiday in term time?

Don't ask the school for time off. They will refuse because education is so important.

Simply give your kid a non-conformist hair style. The school will provide an unlimited amount of time off because education isn't important. Hair is.

Enjoy your hols! 8):partyhat::headbang::wave::banana:

So when does it go too far?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11851082/Dorset-school-praised-by-David-Cameron-isolates-up-to-40-pupils-for-pencil-case-infingements.html

Pencil cases not up to the rules... Be taught in isolation instead of allowing to disrupt classrooms with such flagrant rule breaking.

But the parents knew the rules, perhaps if they wish to have non-standard pencil cases then they should home school?

PS - this is in the news today, I didn't go looking for it.

No it isn't.

Show me a study that proves that point? Because it doesn't exist. What does exist is bullying, everywhere. Hiding behind a rigid uniform based protocol is not going to change that, as demonstrated by FV's own policy: http://www.forgevalleysheffield.org/assets/anti-bullying-policy-june-14.pdf

Parents! Want to take a holiday in term time?

Don't ask the school for time off. They will refuse because education is so important.

Simply give your kid a non-conformist hair style. The school will provide an unlimited amount of time off because education isn't important. Hair is.

Enjoy your hols! 8):partyhat::headbang::wave::banana:

:hihi: Post of the week!

Surely it would have made more sense to clear it with the school first...At least it would have saved money on such a silly haircut...And people who hide behind human rights, should realise that they are meant to provide people some form of safety from nasty people...not an excuse for dodgy haircuts.

My standards as a school boy, was decent haircut,

clean white shirt with tie, decent clothing whether uniform or not,

polished shoes. Old fashion or not- get with it Parent.

That boys hair cut is horrific, the school did right sending him home.

So when does it go too far?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11851082/Dorset-school-praised-by-David-Cameron-isolates-up-to-40-pupils-for-pencil-case-infingements.html

Pencil cases not up to the rules... Be taught in isolation instead of allowing to disrupt classrooms with such flagrant rule breaking.

But the parents knew the rules, perhaps if they wish to have non-standard pencil cases then they should home school?

PS - this is in the news today, I didn't go looking for it.

When i attended college to study both my OND and HND straight from school, i was issued with a reading list(to pick from) and a stationary list including itemised equipment for what was then Technical Drawing and various other items including rulers,clips to hold paper on drawing boards and certain sizes of scaled equipment,certain size slide rule and even a specific scientific calculator requirement.

My employer funded these costs - but non compliance resulted in non acceptance in the lectures and on the course.

Obviously this was a selected course with specific study requirements, but then again so is school.

But the adult who allowed you to ignore the rules can take you out and home school you.If the parent can't and won't stick to the rules then go for that option.

Education includes being educated in following general guidelines and rules and adherence even if you don't agree. What educational value would there be in educating a child to ignore rules and suffer the legal ramifications whilst professing innocence ?

Spot on !!