Forge Valley sends a pupil home because of haircut

From what I've read on previous threads the school is struggling to achieve any kind of consistency in its internal and external communication. If consistency is what they are actually trying to achieve then it's going to be a bumpy ride and this sort of story is going to emerge from time to time, that's life.

However, I suspect that in the managements desire to exert control, over what they themselves perceive as a "difficult" school with some awkward students and staff and a poor image to overcome, they are trying to administrate human behaviour into compliance. It may look like a solution in the short term but, with a shifting population with differing needs, as they stamp on one problem another will raise its head and appear in the media, and the cycle goes on. From the evidence available in the public domain, including the schools own attempts at PR, a different approach is needed.

Edited by 1789a

There is a limit for adults (in some circumstances) - I'm not allowed to have extreme hair cuts/colours at work according to our uniform policy.

That's how it should be , imaging if a nurse on her daily duties came up to your bedside looking like this? It would scare the hell out of you.

You only have to look at the mother of the girl and it says it all , oh and don't forget the " human rights" , if I hear that once more for trivial things I'll scream.

Well done Mr Barraclough [ head teacher ]

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but where a school uniform is mandatory, surely the standard should apply to children's haircuts too? I think it should, but some parents think differently.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/07/schoolgirl-13-sent-home-for-leopard-print-hairstyle-5379977/

Her hair looks revolting. It makes her look incredibly common but then look at the mum, its hardly a shock.

On the whole i think 'regulation hair cuts' belong only in the armed forces and police, School kids should be allowed more freedom, the problem starts when someone like this girl and her mum go to the extreme for what looks like no other reason than attention seeking.

I'm on the side of not really understanding what harm an extreme hairstyle does, as long as the uniform is immaculate. However, the parent sent her child to the school with full knowledge of the rules so she has to abide by them.

Yup this. I have had all sorts of crazy haircuts, had it fluorescent red when I was 14 (parents were cool with it) but it went back to 'boring brown' before the first day of school as dem were the rules. My parents totally supported harmless freedom of expression and experimentation but I also needed to understand that the world has rules and even if they sometimes seem stupid to me I have to obey or actively campaign against them (while still obeying them!)

well the old saying "stupid is as stupid does" and thats just the mother for letting her get the haircut a week before going back to school.

Which makes you wonder why universities never have uniform policies, or even general appearance policies... Uni's, more than schools are about preparing young adults for work. Schools should be about educating children.

Children are prepared for work while they're at school, too; not only the basics of skill-based essentials (project planning, research, working to deadlines, teamwork etc) but also more broadly about punctuality and timekeeping, for example, and getting used to the various rules and regulations some workplaces impose on their staff, much as the staff might object: dress codes, for example. It would be great if parents supported the schools' endeavours, but that's clearly not always the case.

By the time some of them go off to university as adults, most of them have likely internalised the fundamentals learnt at school about how to rub along at work, and should have the maturity and responsibility to apply that knowledge as they see fit.

In the video she (mum) says that the teachers can have bright hair colours but not pupils and that's not fair.

.... .... just, WHAT?!:confused:

I think from my own observations the mum is just wrong there. I don't see the bright colours and dreadlocks any more. In fact the wierdest hairstyle belongs to the headteacher which can blind passers by on a sunny day. I don't think the school would find his hairdo (or hair don't) would be acceptable on students either.

I have never understood the need for uniforms, just get rid of them. I agree with the ideology of the mother, I understand why the school sent her back, it is clearly in the rules.

So a bit of a conundrum caused by a very outdated and unnecessary measure.

I have never understood the need for uniforms, just get rid of them. I agree with the ideology of the mother, I understand why the school sent her back, it is clearly in the rules.

Much like uniforms for jobs where customers don't need to be able to identify you, or office based workers forced to wear a shirt and smart trousers.

As I said, actively campaign against it, while sticking to the rules.

I agree with uniforms. That way it avoids some children being bullied for not having a certain pair of designer trainers, or a certain brand of tshirt etc. Kids can be cruel!

As for this woman - what kind of child is she raising, if she is encouraging her to break the rules? Rules are there for a purpose, and if you want your child to be able to express herself, send her to a school which will allow it. They knew the rules, yet flaunted them nonetheless.

I agree with uniforms. That way it avoids some children being bullied for not having a certain pair of designer trainers, or a certain brand of tshirt etc. Kids can be cruel!

As for this woman - what kind of child is she raising, if she is encouraging her to break the rules? Rules are there for a purpose, and if you want your child to be able to express herself, send her to a school which will allow it. They knew the rules, yet flaunted them nonetheless.

Sorry Tess, but that argument (bullying) is nonsense, I have worked in a secondary school in the Netherlands for years and bullying occurred regardless of what kids were wearing. I have had kids with the latest fashion fads pinned on them crying their hearts out because kids picked on them for being toffs as well as kids who appeared tough and hard because they were considered loners.

Bullying happens, it takes special attention and care to eliminate it, not uniforms.

Mother needs to grow up more than the kid.

rules are rules and was known prior to starting.