Forge Valley sends a pupil home because of haircut

Brilliant :hihi:y. The stories behind them are just as good. Well spotted

scroll down and look at the 'stolen lead anger' one, :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 23:12 ----------

I noticed the uniform (and haircut) policy had been agreed by parents and pupils as well as staff and governors. Parents who want the school to succeed could perhaps support the policy rather than flout it?

She probably didn't get around to reading her daughter's school policies, why would she? It's not her job to look out for her daughter. It was probably a busy day on Facebook or twitter.

Edited by *_ash_*

scroll down and look at the 'stolen lead anger' one, :hihi::hihi:

Happy souls eh

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 23:12 ----------

She probably didn't get around to reading her daughter's school policies, why would she? It's not her job to look out for her daughter. It was probably a busy day on Facebook or twitter.

Bet there could be a bit of truth in that as well

Bet there could be a bit of truth in that as well

It's certainly bizarre

My daughter has just started at Newfield, and they have similar rules - "Hair must be of an appropriate style and colour (as determined by staff)". If a child turns up to school with green/purple/pink hair, styled in a mochican or whatever other style they want, they will be sent home. They must then return the next day with their hair in an appropriate style and colour. I don't see what good it does to send them home and let them miss out on a day of school though, what real harm is it doing? They have the same rules regarding nail varnish colours, which apparently must only be red or pink. Also for jewellery, only one ring, one bracelet or one watch may be worn.

When I was telling my dad about the uniform rules, and hes normally a grumpy old 'do as you're told' sod :hihi: even he felt uncomfortable with the fact that those kids who choose to express their personalities through their appearance, for example with a funky hair colour or cut would be slightly suppressed by these rules.

Personally, I do agree with the children having rules regarding their hair colours and styles - Anything that stops them having unnecessary attention drawn to them and possibly causing bullying is good, but to send them home and expect them to have their hair back in a 'normal' style the next day is a little extreme, especially for some styles/colours that they may have. I don't feel that sending them home is aiding their education in any way at all.

I'd like to know where the girl went for a haircut? I have to commend the hairdresser for leaving her hair long on top. Whenener i ask for a trim in Hillsborough i get a tennis ball head. This hairdresser needs seeking out ;)

My daughter has just started at Newfield, and they have similar rules.

I'm thinking of sending my child to Newfield and wondered if you knew what the GCSE results were this year. I can't find them on the internet anywhere. Many thanks!

I'm thinking of sending my child to Newfield and wondered if you knew what the GCSE results were this year. I can't find them on the internet anywhere. Many thanks!

"Examination Results

There were some outstanding achievements in the results for last year’s Y11:

 Two students each achieved 12A* grades – that’s A* in every subject they took, including

Additional Maths.

ï‚· 10 other students achieved A*/A in at least half their GCSEs.

However, our overall results were not as good as the previous year. We knew that this would be the

case, because the year group as a whole was not as able as in 2014.

47% achieved 5A*-C grades, with 41% achieving 5A*-C including both English and maths. We

anticipate that this will increase as we have requested a number of entries to be re-marked"

Personally, I do agree with the children having rules regarding their hair colours and styles - Anything that stops them having unnecessary attention drawn to them and possibly causing bullying is good, but to send them home and expect them to have their hair back in a 'normal' style the next day is a little extreme, especially for some styles/colours that they may have.

I don't feel that sending them home is aiding their education in any way at all.

It doesn't aid their formal education, but it gives a strong message to parents who ignore, or can't be bothered to find out, agreed school policies. I feel sorry for children with parents who put them in this situation, having their picture in the paper does them no favours.

But where do you draw the line ?

Today a leopard hair cur - tomorrow a green and purple striped mohican ?

I'm all for people being allowed individuality and being able to express themselves but there has to be a limit .

There isn't a limit for adults... So why do different rules apply to children?

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 09:00 ----------

Which is more a question about why the rule exists at all (and I'm playing devils advocate).

There isn't a limit for adults... So why do different rules apply to children?

---------- Post added 08-09-2015 at 09:00 ----------

Which is more a question about why the rule exists at all (and I'm playing devils advocate).

There is a limit for adults (in some circumstances) - I'm not allowed to have extreme hair cuts/colours at work according to our uniform policy.

School uniform policies are preparing students for the world of work. Well, that was my school's stance on it, and I can see their reasoning now.

Which makes you wonder why universities never have uniform policies, or even general appearance policies... Uni's, more than schools are about preparing young adults for work. Schools should be about educating children.