Disaster trip thanks to tates travel

We were thinking of something to do with our son, and granddaughter, so we decided on a visit to the Yorkshire sculpture Park. We checked the travel south Yorkshire website and used the journey planner. Bought two tickets for South Yorkshire, and a child one. Got all the way to Barnsley, with 30 minutes to spare, so we waited while 1.10 p.m. for the 96 bus, which never turned up. Just warning people don't rely on the 96 bus, as it regularly doesn't turn up. Obviously we had to give the nice day out up. Ended up going round Barnsley centre instead.

Then to add insult to injury we got evacuated from the Alhambra centre, good day out, not really thanks tates travel. Sort your buses out.

We were thinking of something to do with our son, and granddaughter, so we decided on a visit to the Yorkshire sculpture Park. We checked the travel south Yorkshire website and used the journey planner. Bought two tickets for South Yorkshire, and a child one. Got all the way to Barnsley, with 30 minutes to spare, so we waited while 1.10 p.m. for the 96 bus, which never turned up. Just warning people don't rely on the 96 bus, as it regularly doesn't turn up. Obviously we had to give the nice day out up. Ended up going round Barnsley centre instead.

Then to add insult to injury we got evacuated from the Alhambra centre, good day out, not really thanks tates travel. Sort your buses out.

Tates Travel are far less than reliable ,their busses are like third world travel and they don't always turn up on time, if at all, which is so annoying when they only are doing the 2 hour routes and you have either wait another 2 hours or find alternative arrangement. very poor!:mad:

Edited by alternageek
fixed vb tags

I imagine that the sculpture park would be a good day out, but I feel sorry for anyone relying on tates travel, as you wouldn't want to end up stranded in the middle of nowhere. I have seen many complaints about Tates travel since. I have emailed them asking for the money wasted on bus tickets back, I'm not holding my breath though. At least trains recieve a fine if they are late.

Aren't there any alternative routes to the park??

Seems like relying on one dodgy bus service for public transport is abit silly to me.

Tates have cancelled a lot of routes from todays timetable change including the 72M Ecclesfield-Meadowhall which over the last month or so had days when all trips were cancelled due to 'operational difficulties'.

They apparantly have a hearing with the traffic commissioner coming up who is running an enquiry into the performance of Tates Travel which could result in action such as being fines, having their licence reduced by a number of vehicles, being told to get a new traffic manager or being closed down altogether.

Sounds like they're ready to drop to be honest.

Aren't there any alternative routes to the park??

Seems like relying on one dodgy bus service for public transport is abit silly to me.

Well for one, I didn't realise it was a dodgy bus service until it didn't turn up, and then decided to research it. And no there isn't any other services which provide a route to the park, and if there had been any other routes I would have taken them.

It isn't good for pensioners, people without cars to be served by a terrible service, and its not fair to one of Yorkshire's attractions to be badly served.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 10:57 ----------

Tates have cancelled a lot of routes from todays timetable change including the 72M Ecclesfield-Meadowhall which over the last month or so had days when all trips were cancelled due to 'operational difficulties'.

They apparantly have a hearing with the traffic commissioner coming up who is running an enquiry into the performance of Tates Travel which could result in action such as being fines, having their licence reduced by a number of vehicles, being told to get a new traffic manager or being closed down altogether.

Hope they do receive some financial penalty, one bus missing once in a blue moon is acceptabele, but not as a regular occurance, do you have a link to story cheers

Well for one, I didn't realise it was a dodgy bus service until it didn't turn up, and then decided to research it. And no there isn't any other services which provide a route to the park, and if there had been any other routes I would have taken them.

It isn't good for pensioners, people without cars to be served by a terrible service, and its not fair to one of Yorkshire's attractions to be badly served.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 10:57 ----------

Hope they do receive some financial penalty, one bus missing once in a blue moon is acceptabele, but not as a regular occurance, do you have a link to story cheers

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/news/article/10932/barnsley-bus-company-face-public-inquiry

All explained by the fact it's tates travel

If you had actually gotten to the Sculpture Park this weekend you'd know why the buses had problems. It was chuffing heaving! Hundreds went to see the poppies. I queued for 15 mins just to get into the carpark and a further 30 for a parking ticket! There was a constant battle between people trying to get in and those trying to get out of the car parks which meant some cars had to repeatedly reverse all the way down the access roads just to let people out. God knows how the buses managed to get in as there was literally NO space (and I don't remember actually seeing any in all the time I was there).

That said, it was lovely weather and the frst weekend of the poppy exhibition so hardly surprising really. Maybe try again on a quieter day.

As it turns out, I used to work with a manager at YSP. I've forwarded a link of this thread over to see if they are aware of the complaints and if there is anything they can assist with in future. Clearly isn't going to help the OP this time around, but you never know.

If you had actually gotten to the Sculpture Park this weekend you'd know why the buses had problems. It was chuffing heaving! Hundreds went to see the poppies. I queued for 15 mins just to get into the carpark and a further 30 for a parking ticket! There was a constant battle between people trying to get in and those trying to get out of the car parks which meant some cars had to repeatedly reverse all the way down the access roads just to let people out. God knows how the buses managed to get in as there was literally NO space (and I don't remember actually seeing any in all the time I was there).

That said, it was lovely weather and the frst weekend of the poppy exhibition so hardly surprising really. Maybe try again on a quieter day.

The 96 bus goes near to the sculpture park, and is a ten minute walk from the stop. Traffic may have played a factor, but we did wait an extra 20 minutes, just on the off chance. It doesn't go into the park itself.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 15:45 ----------

As it turns out, I used to work with a manager at YSP. I've forwarded a link of this thread over to see if they are aware of the complaints and if there is anything they can assist with in future. Clearly isn't going to help the OP this time around, but you never know.

I'd like them to know, as they have more clout than me obviously. Thanks