Where sells grouse in Sheffield?

I like Grouse, but I can't find anywhere in Sheffield that sells it. Or if they offer to get some in it's at a stupidly inflated price. It's hard to understand since a lot of grouse moors are in the hills around Sheffield.

The only place I know is Chatsworth farm shop, but I've only ever seen frozen grouse there.

You can buy it in the south and by September it's relatively cheap, so why not here where it comes from?

I was wondering the same thing recently as im a big game fan and never tried grouse. Apparently the cost of shooting them is ridiculously high, and I wondered how that may effect supply. I actually came across them last week in Iceland of all places, 2 for £8.95. I've never seen them fresh and ready to pluck.

They had a very intense 'gamey' flavour, far more so than pheasant. Next time I'll make some acidic sauce for some balance.

Two for £8.95 is a good price, even if frozen, which Iceland?

Yes, they have an intense taste, even un-hung and can border on too powerful a taste if hung too long.

The price of shooting grouse is ridiculously high, something like £4000 a day and more, but the price of grouse as a food is unrelated. The rich people who can afford £4000 for a day's shooting are paying for the 'sport'. The price of grouse as a food is related to supply and demand in restaurants.

Demand is high immediately after the start of the season on August 12th then rapidly declines. I presume Iceland pick up excess grouse to sell in their stores during the decline in interest.

Boldocks on Woodseats always used to have fresh game. Not sure now though.

I can't even find a rabbit that hasn't been imported from China. :(

I can't even find a rabbit that hasn't been imported from China. :(

Some of the market stalls sell rabbit. Is it all from China?

Is Chinese rabbit bad? I'd imagine it's intensively farmed and probably not great with welfare standards. One reason I like game is it's wild food that's lived a more natural life than our farm animals.

Some of the market stalls sell rabbit. Is it all from China?

Is Chinese rabbit bad? I'd imagine it's intensively farmed and probably not great with welfare standards. One reason I like game is it's wild food that's lived a more natural life than our farm animals.

I've used these for wild rabbit really good.

http://www.wildmeat.co.uk/