Can Sheffield support more asylum seekers?

Can/should Sheffield support more asylum seekers?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Can/should Sheffield support more asylum seekers?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, provide aid and military support, not asylum

thousands coming in unvetted how do we know they not rapists murderers or paedos

Or terrorists?

Some lovely scenes as refugees receive a rapturous welcome in Frankfurt Germany. Very heartwarming.

This is how it should be, and long may it continue. It shames us all.

But will the reception be as warm in future, after the first million or so have settled? Will they be allowed to change the nature of the German culture as they are arguably doing here? In short, will the refugees outstay their welcome?

It's all staged. Pay a load of turnip munchers to clap and cheer, get the camera's rolling and beam over to the UK to try and shame us.

I don't mind the UK take in 10-20 thousand, on condition we stop overseas aid to pay for them.

Looking at the practicalities, there are not enough houses, there are not enough school places for the children already in the country, there are not enough hospital beds or care home places for the existing population. How will this be resolved?

I do think the government should tell us where to house them,also what work can they do?Remember unemployment is 7% in the uk so are there enough jobs?

there are two petitions on the government web site

against more migrants

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477

to accept more

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

It would appear the silent majority, 422,000+ in favour of accepting more asylum seekers, out-number the vocal minority, 76,000+ to stop allowing immigrants, by quite a large proportion.

Who would have thought it?

It would appear the silent majority, 422,000+ in favour of accepting more asylum seekers, out-number the vocal minority, 76,000+ to stop allowing immigrants, by quite a large proportion.

Who would have thought it?

But to be fair, the way that the against petition is worded, what rational person is going to sign it?

I am so in two minds about this. Do we have a moral obligation as human beings - yes.

To all your other questions I probably have to say a regrettable, no.

We simply haven't the resources to feed and clothe the world and his wife indefinitely.

I would have thought that allowing them into properly set up camps to be looked after while they are processed, and their stories heard, would be the best idea. But what do I know...

I also agree with all your other points.

Exactly this.

S

People; families, with children are lying down in the streets, hungry and cold and afraid - are we going to turn away from them. Would you like this to be your legacy? What kind of people are we if we turn our backs on the needy. We will live with this forever if we do the wrong thing now - it will be your legacy - the cold and the hungry and the needy died on our watch.

With the protest the weekend (100+ people) outside the town hall calling on the Government to take in more asylum seekers, I thought I would start a HEALTHY/FRIENDLY debate asking the question:

Can/should Sheffield take in more asylum seekers?

Things to consider:

- Do we have a moral obligation as human beings?

- Is their enough housing stock to house the families?

- Can our schools take on the extra pupils?

- Are our GP's and hospitals oversubscribed and struggling?

- How will these newcomers earn a living? Do we have enough jobs?

- Is there another solution to help these people?

--------------------------------------------------------

My personal opinion is that Sheffield, United Kingdom, and Europe as a whole should help the genuine refugees, but allowing them into our countries to live permanently is not the solution.

The cause of the crisis is what needs resolving and that is where the focus needs to be.

We also need to clearly differentiate between genuine asylum seekers and economic migrants.

Its also my opinion that by granting asylum to hundreds of thousands of people across Europe, you will only encourage more people to flee.

I believe this is a global crisis that needs a global solution. America for example is arguably one of the biggest causes of conflict in the middle east right now, and they appear to be doing very little to help. I suppose they dont care, these people cant cross the atlantic in their little dingys can they?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please share your opinions and be racist, rude, abusive or stupid.

the worry has to be for me the amount of young men of fighting age coming over here if it was 70% famlies then my opinion may change but questions are whys the gulf states taking no one america austra;ia etc not just europe .

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 20:56 ----------

People; families, with children are lying down in the streets, hungry and cold and afraid - are we going to turn away from them. Would you like this to be your legacy? What kind of people are we if we turn our backs on the needy. We will live with this forever if we do the wrong thing now - it will be your legacy - the cold and the hungry and the needy died on our watch.

but there not all young families this is the problem the pics are of young males very few famlies

Have you sent in details of your spare bedroom? ;)

A massive amount is being done for refugees in the middle east compared to Europe http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e45ade6.html

Edited by Eric Arthur