Wanting to donate clothes to the refugee crisis but where

hi I'm wanting to donate clothes to the Syrian crisis or kos can anyone tell me where to take them or who to call

Thanks

No idea Steve, but there was an item about this on the bbc news this morning saying that all their storage Facilities in Calais are full up and telling people not to just arrive with donations.

My question would be - Why haven't they given the things away! their store's should be almost empty if they were doing there job - surly?

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 11:33 ----------

I should imagine there are collection points in and around Sheffield though.

No idea Steve, but there was an item about this on the bbc news this morning saying that all their storage Facilities in Calais are full up and telling people not to just arrive with donations.

My question would be - Why haven't they given the things away! their store's should be almost empty if they were doing there job - surly?

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 11:33 ----------

I should imagine there are collection points in and around Sheffield though.

I saw the news item you mentioned . I got the impression many of the items donated were inappropriate such as ladies high heel shoes and were more of a burden than an help . I would have thought people wanting to donate their cast-offs could be more helpful by taking them to their local Oxfam where they could be sold assuming they have any value .

Alternatively they could make a cash donation to Oxfam

https://donate.oxfam.org.uk/emergency/refugeecrisis?pscid=ps_ggl_Emergencies+-+Syria+-+Desktop&gclid=CImBqOO94scCFY6RGwo

The charities want your money not your cast offs, so they can buy the stuff that they actually need, not try to make do with junk that other people don't need.

I once read a very good article that pointed out that charities can buy brand new clothes, food, shelter, etc, locally for much less than it costs to handle, sort, clean, ship, store and distribute the few second hand things that are any good, and then dispose of the things that aren't any good.

Maybe you could have a table top sale and send the money on.

Edited by Eric Arthur

The charities want your money not your cast offs, so they can buy the stuff that they actually need, not try to make do with junk that other people don't need.

Maybe you could have a table top sale and send the money on.

That's a bit ungrateful isn't it?

That's a bit ungrateful isn't it?

Not at all, it's just the opposite, donations of items are a burden. I added in an explanation while you were responding.:) Here it is again.

I once read a very good article that pointed out that charities can buy brand new clothes, food, shelter, etc, locally for much less than it costs to handle, sort, clean, ship, store and distribute the few second hand things that are any good, and then dispose of the things that aren't any good.

Hello

Does any one know if there is a donation drop off for migrants in Sheffield?

Thanks

I understand there are thriving businesses overseas selling these clothes from charity shops to the indigenous populations. Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, this is capitalism in action, and we are told capitalism makes countries thrive.

I understand there are thriving businesses overseas selling these clothes from charity shops to the indigenous populations. Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, this is capitalism in action, and we are told capitalism makes countries thrive.

Next time you get a charity collection bag through your letter box, read the small print on it.

Hi Everyone,

I'm wanting to arrange a collection of essential items (Clothing, bedding etc) to be sent to refugee camps.

The weather is getting colder and people need out help.

Does anyone know where in Sheffield (Yorkshire) that's collecting? Many people at my work are interested in applying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The theatre delicatessen on the Moor was collecting to drive a van of stuff, not sure if that's done with now though, they might be handy to ask all the same.

Some weeks ago there was information in the Star about donating clothes for refugees and it stated that you could take them to the Town Hall so I did and they took them, no problem, I'm sure it was Mon-Fri 9.00 - 4.00.

Edited by sharrovian
addition