Pick a city where you would prefer to live

What about Bristol ? Nice 'burbs like Sheffield but warmer and closer to the sea.

Not Doncaster. Not Plymouth (which is quite possibly the worst city I've ever been to) - only redeeming feature is that if I ever get addicted to crack I'll know the best place to live !

To be honest if I can afford to move away from Sheffield I don't think I'd live in a city again - I'd like a small country village (with a decent pub or three) where I could grow old and eccentric.

I think it has to be Edinburgh. People seems to be more health conscious, and there's a nice hill where you can run up for a bit of hillwalking. It's an old historic town with cobbly streets and curious odd bits and bobs. It's quite a friendly place with people from different countries visiting it. So u get the refreshing chats and things on different issues.

Though, Cambridge is nice, (but weird, cos of the expensive accomodation) as is Leeds. I wouldn't mind living in Leeds just cos of the restaurant selections.

southampton

I live in Portsmouth for most of the year now (University) and the whole of the south coast is nice, Southampton city centre does have an edge at the moment though (and an airport).

I think it has to be Edinburgh. People seems to be more health conscious, and there's a nice hill where you can run up for a bit of hillwalking. It's an old historic town with cobbly streets and curious odd bits and bobs. It's quite a friendly place with people from different countries visiting it. So u get the refreshing chats and things on different issues.

My first choice too - there isn't a street in any other city quite like Princes Street! It has the castle high above the gardens and open air theatre on one side, and some great shops on the other. It really buzzes during the festival.

However, I would want to live in the Stockbridge area - very pricey!

If it has to be a city, then I'd go for York too! Lots to do, beautiful centre, ridiculous amounts of shopping and the Minster. York is unique.

Chester is nice too.

I'm from Chester and it's lovely. However Muswell Hill in North London where I now live is also a really nice place to live. By way of quantifying the post I lived in Sheffield for ten years in between and I can say that Hallamshire is one of the best places in the country to live, especially if you like the outdoors life style.

The most amazing city I've visited is Rome, I have quite a penchant for ancient civilisations and renaisance and baroque art. Bruges is quite possibly the most attracctive city I've been to

I think I'd have to go for Manchester. Somewhere central. Lots of history, arguably the world's first modern (i.e. industrial) city. Although I'd probably just spend all my money on records and die in poverty.

Anywhere but Doncaster.

I'd never leave Sheffield, people from South Yorks folk are a different class. I've stopped in hotels/motels all over the UK and I never feel as comfy as I do in Sheffield. If I had to be brutally honest though, I think the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham, have a more (how can I say this without offending people on here 'city(fied)' feel than Sheff, but they don't seem to have that something about them Sheffield has.

Why you guys are so derogatory to Doncaster I don't know. As an outsider I find that place so fascinating. Anyone studying urban development need look no further than Doncaster. It seems to have its bad areas like Sheffield has, but to watch it developing the way it is a real eye-opener. I had to go there in the mid 90s and I thought the place was as bad, dark, soulless, grimy as any place could be, and I couldn't wait to get out of the place. Now though it's a different kettle of fish.

Sheffield is developing too, but I think sometimes people are too close to see what is happening.

If (god-forbid) I was to leave Sheffield it would be to Doncaster....because it seems to be where it is all happening, and it is in South Yorkshire (only a short distance from Sheff).

oops. In that case it would have to be Chester.

From http://idler.co.uk/crap/?page_id=50

Small city in the North West populated largely by scallies considered not tough enough for Liverpool. Chester is classed as a city because it has it’s own cathedral, however this ‘impressive’ edifice is actually the size of your average village church and has turned a lovely shade of black due to the amount of filth that comes out of the mouths of the locals.

Noted as a tourist attraction, you can choose between walking the fabulous Roman walls (largely rebuilt this century),the authentic half timbered town centre (victorians faking ye olde medieval times) or the famous Chester rows (an excuse to fit in twice as many shops than is decent)

.Local hobbies include shoplifting, smack-taking al fresco,

hippy/tramp beating and seeing how many times one can fit ‘”mate-o” into any normal conversation.

Don’t be fooled by the glamour of ‘Hollyoaks’ which is largely filmed in Liverpool now because the Chester locals gave the cast and crew too much ****!

I was brought up in Chester (though I have lived here longer) my family live there and I go back 3-4 times a year, but I have to agree with the quote above!

I don't know really. I'd love to move back to Liverpool, it truly is one of the great cities of the world. But I've lived in London and absolutely loved it (I would want to move to Greenwich).

Bizarrely (sp?!) I've always been interested in Bath and Brighton, though I've not been to either....

At some point, if I decide to remain in this country (which seems unlikely) I intend to move to York (despite having the worst set of local councillors in the city's history - but they'll be gone soon).

A large Victorian terraced house, three or four storeys high, near the city centre, maybe out toward Heslington. Or if I get lucky, overlooking the Knavesmire. Even an apartment on Skeldergate overlooking the Ouse?

I fell in love with the place in 1988 and must have been back nearly a hundred times since. I must have had around twenty letters published in Yorkshire Evening Press relating to local issues. In fact, I probably know York better than Sheffield these days, always able to help tourists who are lost!

The place is so alive, all year round. It's got the walls and ramparts, presently covered in daffodils, the bars (Monk Bar, Micklegate, Bootham and Walmgate), it's got the rivers, its bridges, its parks (Museum Gardens), museums, exhibitions, cobbled streets, old buildings, places of worship, good schools (esp. private) and has a general feel good factor.

It also has relatively cheap housing (still, despite the number of southerners now buying a second home there) and then there are the pubs - so many - clubs and theatres.

It's an hour's drive from Sheffield and if heaven is a place on earth, then surely this is it!

It has to be Newcastle for me... :thumbsup: