Stories of my dad LISHER

I've hundreds of memories of a lifetime knowing Lishy from the days he had an account in the Indus and paid for all our late night curries to the time he went and split his head open full length on the last bus from the Windsor on a Saturday night a few years ago, I picked him up the next morning and he was still the first outside the bottom of the lane [Norfolk Arms] on the Sunday morning waiting for it to open.

Lishy had his own seat in every pub he used.

I once asked him why they called him Lishy and he told me as a little lad he used to follow Bill Lishman the coal merchant/bookmaker/scrapman etc around all the time so people started calling him young Lishy.

I am the same age as his daughter Tina but he has been friends of my family as long as I can remember I even got done for under age drinking in the Truro when I was with him and Ray Morgan, the coppers name was Seargeant Grace and I gave him my pals name and address much to Lishy's amusement.

The copper spotted me in town months after and rugby tackled me then took me straight to court.:hihi::hihi:

RIP Lishy pal and God bless you and your family.

hi claire

sorry to hear about lish, had many a happy time in the brickies and peacock pubs,

he used to come past our door and say comming up peacock, no i say skint he would say common, and many sundays in the brickies after swimming at glossop rd,

be there tuesday

frank

Thank you so much Frank. That is a beautiful story. He never ever counted who bought what drinks and always said "they will remember when I've got nowt and last Friday before he passed away He was chuffed cos he didn't buy a drink all night and I said "but you only drinking orange" and he said "point was he never bought a pint all night !" That was last night he was out so very fitting for him. Please say hello to me on Tuesday

---------- Post added 09-09-2015 at 22:08 ----------

My dads funeral is next Tuesday 15th at 1.15. He is going to leave his house for the last time at about 12.15 and we will walk him on manor oaks road and up Boundary Road and past the Winsor and the home he was born in. We want it to be an old style funeral so please pay your respects by joining us or just coming out as we pass. All the family are walking so please feel free to join us and show my Dad the respect he was always shown . Thank you Michael Fogg funeral director for the wonderful suggestion

Claire

Edited by Claire37pink

Claire, if your dad is Trevor and your mum was called )to me) little Edna, and you have Anne(I know most) and Tina as sisters, then you and me share the same granny, known always to me as big Edna. You'd better get in touch, girl because me and Swedish wife Jane will be in sheffield in October. Regrettably we can't come to Trevor's funeral as we're currently living on a boat in France, Hope it's you, and we look forward. David Jackson, son of uncle Johnny

1 hour ago, David m jackson said:

Claire, if your dad is Trevor and your mum was called )to me) little Edna, and you have Anne(I know most) and Tina as sisters, then you and me share the same granny, known always to me as big Edna. You'd better get in touch, girl because me and Swedish wife Jane will be in sheffield in October. Regrettably we can't come to Trevor's funeral as we're currently living on a boat in France, Hope it's you, and we look forward. David Jackson, son of uncle Johnny

This thread is 4 years old, and the OP hasn't been back on in all that time.

Edited by Bargepole23

Am looking forward to meeting you David. ‘Big Edna’ was your dads sister, so was your auntie but I think you may have referred to her as granny because she was forever surround my grandchildren when you came to Sheffield!! My mum forever talked about her Aunt and Uncle who lived in Watford and her cousins. Am sure many people whom she met were told about her cousins. She loved to visit Watford and Hemel Hempstead(which she always tried to say in a posher accent!)

Big Edna was my first born's godmother. Yes, she was my auntie, but, as said, I always knew her as big Edna, and your mum as little Edna. I probably knew your mum better, as we were closer in age, and I still have memories of going to Butlins, minehead, with her and Tina and Anne, but I did my back in, and spent the whole week in bed in the cabin! It'll be great to meet you in October. Apologies for getting the timing wrong about the funeral, your dad, I remember, once said to me, "David, your three lads are wild!" I was proud of that at the time. Keep in touch, David

On 23/09/2019 at 18:33, Bargepole23 said:

This thread is 4 years old, and the OP hasn't been back on in all that time.

Thanks bargepole23. I've a few bargepoles on my barge, here in France, all different sizes! You on a barge?

13 hours ago, David m jackson said:

Thanks bargepole23. I've a few bargepoles on my barge, here in France, all different sizes! You on a barge?

Fraid not, but nice to see the OP has been back on and you are in contact :)

Claire, both your parents had massive respect for mine. My dad, your mum's uncle Johnnie, came back from the war in 1945 and I was born at Brinsworth army camp where we lived in a tent, before moving to a house at 520 Herries Road, and I went to Shirecliff school. My mum sometimes played piano in sheffield at that time (probably near to 19 Hill Street) but then we moved south after seven years, because father got a job with Kodak, a good company.During our time in the south, dad was requested to visit big Edna and Johnnie Collins to help them with their accounts because the taxman was giving them a hard time. He was very good with maths, so, needless to say, he sorted it out for them. He had a rough time as a boy in sheffield, especially with his father, and when I asked your mum about him, all she would say to me was, "He were a bad lad, David!" In his defence, he himself came from a rough time in "Peaky Blinders" sheffield, and he was in the (at that time) 1st Yorkshire regiment that went to the trenches in France. They were considered to be a crack troop because they were the only troop that could fire off 25 rounds in a minute, something no other troop could match. In the 1914-18 war, that was quite something. More stories later, Claire 

RIP Lish

Gone but will never be forgotten.