What year did C&A close?

Does anyone know in what year C&A closed. It was across the road from Fitzalan Square. I reckon it was 1993 but her indoors says it was 1996. Anyone know for definite?

i was thinking it was possibly as late as 1999, not quite sure now.

I remember it being open, and I moved to Sheffield in 1997.

Most branches closed in January 2001 according to this...

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=6003&inst_id=63

Primark announced the aquisition of the Sheffield branch on 19/09/2000 tho...

http://www.abf.co.uk/about_us/our_group/acquisitions_and_disposals/earlier/former_c_and_a_stores_acquired

Edited by nikki-red

Does anyone know in what year C&A closed. It was across the road from Fitzalan Square. I reckon it was 1993 but her indoors says it was 1996. Anyone know for definite?

'It was across the road from Fitzalan Square', no kidding eh?

Most branches closed in January 2001 according to this...

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=6003&inst_id=63

Primark announced the aquisition of the Sheffield branch on 19/09/2000 tho...

http://www.abf.co.uk/about_us/our_group/acquisitions_and_disposals/earlier/former_c_and_a_stores_acquired

So, who is going to acquire Primark, as the building looks all boarded up at this time?

'It was across the road from Fitzalan Square', no kidding eh?

The actual address was 59/65 High Street....the staff door was on King Street....I worked there in 1957...straight from school. Just saying ;)

C & A are still trading in Europe I was in one last week in Belgium

Hi Joanl, my late wife worked at C/A. about that time her name was June Sheldon, do you remember girls Doreen Myers,Jaki Royston,Pat Skelton,Iris Keens, Regards Bazza.

It closed in 2001, I studied with one of the grandsons/heirs to be for a while. He was a right big-headed personality. I remember me and some other year-mates being secretly quite pleased he got taken down a notch or two by the misery that hit his family company. Very petty though as thousands lost their jobs.

It closed in 2001, I studied with one of the grandsons/heirs to be for a while. He was a right big-headed personality. I remember me and some other year-mates being secretly quite pleased he got taken down a notch or two by the misery that hit his family company. Very petty though as thousands lost their jobs.

I bet he had some nice Ski jackets?

Hi Joanl, my late wife worked at C/A. about that time her name was June Sheldon, do you remember girls Doreen Myers,Jaki Royston,Pat Skelton,Iris Keens, Regards Bazza.

Bazza. i do remember a couple of names but not the girls belonging to them if that makes any sense.....plus of course in them days we were all Miss Smith or Mrs Smith......:) I for instance was Miss Robins although my name was Robinson but another girl with the same name had got in first ......