World war 2 help

I have decided to learn more about the years during world war 2. Obviously there was a lot going on at the time and I wanted to purchase some books to read. Can anyone recommend any good ones that are factual?

Are there any that are a "must read"?

Thanks

i have quite a few that i would be willing to sell please PM me.

Sheffield During the Blitz. on sale @ Sheffield Star

Sheffield During the Blitz. on sale @ Sheffield Star

Great book for the budding historian.

I have decided to learn more about the years during world war 2. Obviously there was a lot going on at the time and I wanted to purchase some books to read. Can anyone recommend any good ones that are factual?

Are there any that are a "must read"?

Thanks

Are you just referring to Sheffields role in WW2 or WW2 as a whole?

If its the war in general then "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor is a good starting point. It's a mammoth book but any complete history of WW2 is going to be. It's far from perfect and some things are dealt with in great detail while others are not. It can also be used to dip into as a reference while reading accounts of particular situations or theatres of war for instance. That will help put things in context for a beginner.

Anthony Beevor has written a number of books on WW2 all of which are very readable- Berlin, Stalingrad, Ardennes 1944.

William L Shirers "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" another mammoth book and again flawed but offers a useful perspective. A.J.P Taylors "The War Lords" gives a short account of the individual leaders of WW2.

Allan Bullocks "Hitler, A Study in Tyranny" is well worth the trouble as is Hugh Trevor Ropers "The Last Days of Hitler".

Having just looked at the last three mentioned, it is always a good idea to read up on the authors too so you understand where they're coming from. (I've always had a warm regard for Trevor-Roper since I read of his meeting with Margaret Thatcher at Chequers when he tore her arguments and prejudices regarding Germany to shreds.)

It helps, for instance to know that the historian David Irving was at best an apologist for the Third Reich and some say much worse. His books are still necessary reading though his political stance must be born in mind.

For a lighter access into the conflict from the point of view of the ordinary soldier the books of Spike Milligan starting with "Adolf Hitler- My Part in His Downfall" and "For You the War is Over" by Sam Kydd will repay the time spent.

There's obviously much more.......

I also have a full set of The World at War on Video Tapes in a presentation box going cheap as well

Hi,Hillsborough Tabernacle Church took the blast from a landmine that exploded nearby during the war and they sell books with loads of info etc priced at £6.The books called 'Bombed but Unbowed' and is written by Paul Clarke.Worth a read if you interested in the S6 area.

Lord Haw Haw used to call Sheffield "The City on wheels".

I also have a full set of The World at War on Video Tapes in a presentation box going cheap as well

I was unwell and off work for 7 weeks a couple of years ago. I watched every episode on the history channel and found this series brilliant.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 18:13 ----------

Lord Haw Haw used to call Sheffield "The City on wheels".

I also watched a programme about Lord Haw Haw. My lovely Mum used to tell stories about him being on the radio and scaring the living daylights out of her as a child. Her parents convinced her that he was a traitor and a mad man which helped her a little but she had nightmares about him - his voice was quite haunting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Haw-Haw

Edited by Daven