Why are so many tradesmen so unreliable ? And how do you avoid them ?

Nope, just DOING the job in a manner acceptable to the client. Unlike British tradesmen. Most of the Poles are settled in the UK with families too.

I'm project managing at the moment. The customer has taken on 'tradesmen'. It's like pulling teeth to get anything done. The sparky is the only one near competent. 6 days out of 3 weeks onsite time..the rest they just disappear. Just took on a Pole (recommended)..arrives 7.30 and packs up at 6. I've genuinely not seen him take a break. I'm just glad the customer hasn't made any substantial payments to the other lot..they will soon be replaced...probably by Poles.

Like this aerial guy I called all I wanted was my aerial tweaking and I was willing to pay a tenner for his trouble,I've even got a step ladder in the shed he could have borrowed, never showed up very unprofessional,:mad: I could do it myself but I don't have one of those special thingy majig machines you need to set it up, never mind big Dave in the pub said he is going to come over and do it for me this afternoon, he better do I've already bought him six pints on account ...:):hihi:

There lies your answer. what do you expect when you want the job doing for nowt. :roll:

Nope, just DOING the job in a manner acceptable to the client. Unlike British tradesmen. Most of the Poles are settled in the UK with families too.

Thats a reverse generalisation. Ive employed countless fantastic british tradesmen. And im equally sure not all poles are hard working, competent builders.

And im equally sure not all poles are hard working, competent builders.

I'm sure you are right..but most incompetent layabouts tend not to up sticks and cross borders with their families. Maybe I would have to move to Poland to get a competent Brit builder.

There lies your answer. what do you expect when you want the job doing for nowt. :roll:

Thats the problem with tight arse yorkshiremen. They drive the price down, choose the lowest unrealistic quote and then complain its not AMAZING work completed with the upmost professionalism..go figure.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 15:59 ----------

I have to deal with these numptys everyday...or dont because i wont take on this type of client..the saving money crew. That want fantastic work, done in half the time at a cut price deal

Quality costs and you 'get what you pay for' springs to mind.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 16:02 ----------

I'm sure you are right..but most incompetent layabouts tend not to up sticks and cross borders with their families. Maybe I would have to move to Poland to get a competent Brit builder.

Its straightforward to move to another european country. They get here and are entitled to benefits fairly swiftly. No great hardship.

Very good point. Remember, the most powerful country in the world, the USA, is a nation of immigrants, probably for just that reason......

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 16:15 ----------

Its straightforward to move to another european country. They get here and are entitled to benefits fairly swiftly. No great hardship.

Moving to another country is not straightforward (as in easy and no problem), full stop.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 16:17 ----------

Thats a reverse generalisation. Ive employed countless fantastic british tradesmen. And im equally sure not all poles are hard working, competent builders.

Fantastic tradesmen ! Please let us know their telephone numbers (and I`m not joking)......

Very good point. Remember, the most powerful country in the world, the USA, is a nation of immigrants, probably for just that reason......

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 16:15 ----------

Moving to another country is not straightforward (as in easy and no problem), full stop.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 16:17 ----------

Fantastic tradesmen ! Please let us know their telephone numbers (and I`m not joking)......

Its a lot easier within the EU.

They get here and are entitled to benefits fairly swiftly. No great hardship.

To much ****e Chanel 5 watching. Lay off it, it'll fry yer 'brain'.

If Home Depot or Lowes have home improvement stores in the UK I recommend using one of their approved contractors. They are bonded and insured and completely reliable.

Offer to pay in cash and they will come.

If Home Depot or Lowes have home improvement stores in the UK I recommend using one of their approved contractors. They are bonded and insured and completely reliable.

Yep and you are going to pay. HD and Lowes double what the contractor asks for.

The vast majority of clients complaining about contractors are low bowlers.