Being sworn at for no reason..

The problem is that the experiences described are entirely anecdotal, and we can only really compare them to our own anecdotal experiences.

Perhaps I don't look like someone you should randomly swear at, and so I never experience it. Or maybe I'm in my own world and don't even hear it happen.

All I can really say is that I feel perfectly safe and comfortable on and around West Street at lunchtimes and in the evenings.

I have seen the beggars sat around Tesco's and near the cash point at the forum, but they've never hassled me or even spoken to me.

I don't see a large number of police cars as a sign of a problem, we'd probably be complaining if we didn't see any, asking if they were all in a donut shop or something!

The problem is that the experiences described are entirely anecdotal, and we can only really compare them to our own anecdotal experiences.

Perhaps I don't look like someone you should randomly swear at, and so I never experience it. Or maybe I'm in my own world and don't even hear it happen.

All I can really say is that I feel perfectly safe and comfortable on and around West Street at lunchtimes and in the evenings.

I have seen the beggars sat around Tesco's and near the cash point at the forum, but they've never hassled me or even spoken to me.

I don't see a large number of police cars as a sign of a problem, we'd probably be complaining if we didn't see any, asking if they were all in a donut shop or something!

Police presence appears to be localised in the city. I have to say other parts of sheffield, I rarely witness trouble.

Although havent been in sheff full time

in the past year witnessed two incidents. A road rage fist fight off ecclesall road which lasted about 5 seconds.

I saw 2 asian guys squaring off on abbeydale rd last winter. 1 of the guys was swinging a baseball bat!

Thats it.

Edited by TJC1

Theres a weird unfriendly vibe in town....you tell me why.

Paranoia?.........

Wow, these posts are unbelievable! We live in one of the most civilised societies in the world, in a beautiful city where the vast majority of people are unbelievably friendly and helpful.

These problems you describe are an inevitable symptom of living in a society of human beings. I'm not saying the odd moan is unreasonable, but anyone would think you guys are living in a warzone.

If you don't like humanity then go and live on a desert island or something, jeez.

Wow, these posts are unbelievable! We live in one of the most civilised societies in the world, in a beautiful city where the vast majority of people are unbelievably friendly and helpful.

These problems you describe are an inevitable symptom of living in a society of human beings. I'm not saying the odd moan is unreasonable, but anyone would think you guys are living in a warzone.

If you don't like humanity then go and live on a desert island or something, jeez.

Have you been on west street lately? Civilised?

Some of the youths today need a slap.

That's the problem. Many are living in a life without consequence. If someone did slap them then they may think twice about doing it again. Problem is they know that if you touch them it's you that will be considered in the wrong. So they can do it without consequence, and that makes them feel powerful. Possibly the best way to deal with it is to come up with a really good comeback and put down that will make them look a little stupid in front of their friends, so you are prepared next time.

I'm guessing you haven't..if you have, the problem likely lies with you..

im the most anti social person there is!

I'm guessing you haven't..if you have, the problem likely lies with you..

You guessed wrong and obviously havent read the thread...

That's the thing. It is, totally. It gets a bit busier and lively on a Friday night, but it's still perfectly civilised, and on a weekday evening or during the day, it couldn't really be any safer.

1053 reported crimes in sheff central in july

163 thefts

124 shopliftings

110 violence and sexual assault

Compare that to a district like nether edge.

0 shopliftings...who's paranoid?

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 15:25 ----------

That's the thing. It is, totally. It gets a bit busier and lively on a Friday night, but it's still perfectly civilised, and on a weekday evening or during the day, it couldn't really be any safer.

No it's not...

163 thefts

124 shopliftings

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 15:28 ----------

60 people got mugged in July.

That figure rises to 83 by september.

Reported figures only.

163 thefts

124 shopliftings

Compare that to a district like nether edge.

0 shopliftings...who's paranoid?

There are hardly any shops in Nether Edge! You can't compare a city centre to a leafy suburb!

124 shopliftings is a bit more than one every 3 days. That's pretty good going! (And also highly inaccurate as there are loads more than that, for sure.) And also, you can't combine violence and sexual assault. Violence can be a scrap outside a pub, which is no big deal really and happens everywhere. Sexual assault is a much more serious crime and definitely constitutes something to worry about. But that is throughout all of society and not just West Street!

But obviously don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

city centre murders including these....last november..

University of Bradford student Anowar, 25, was attacked on the corner of of Carver Street and Division Street. Suffering severe head injuries in the attack, Anwoar died nine days later.

Last month Liverpool man, Jon-Paul Smith, 42, was attacked on the corner of West Street and Eldon Street. He died in hospital a day later.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 15:37 ----------

There are hardly any shops in Nether Edge! You can't compare a city centre to a leafy suburb!

124 shopliftings is a bit more than one every 3 days. That's pretty good going! (And also highly inaccurate as there are loads more than that, for sure.) And also, you can't combine violence and sexual assault. Violence can be a scrap outside a pub, which is no big deal really and happens everywhere. Sexual assault is a much more serious crime and definitely constitutes something to worry about. But that is throughout all of society and not just West Street!

But obviously don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

No shops on nether edge and abbeydale rd? Are you joking? The crime map takes into account ecclesall rd too. I guess theres no shops on ecclesall rd either?

I was on west st for 10 min and witnessed a man being frog marched out of tesco. The data proves it.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 15:39 ----------

And thats reported figures from police.

Clearly it doesnt happen everywhere....at least 60 to 80 more people are mugged in the city centre than other neighbourhoods...

Edited by TJC1