The nhs, pedalos , robot vacuum cleaners & zumba classes..

That's got to be the most obvious point anyone as ever made, and no one disputes it.

Several posters have disputed it if you bother to read the thread.

---------- Post added 09-09-2015 at 09:01 ----------

And no, you haven't given an example of a "light duty" that a nurse could do that would keep them away from patients.

And "whatever your employer wants" includes many, many things that would be outside the job remit of a nurse.

And no, you haven't given an example of a "light duty" that a nurse could do that would keep them away from patients.

And "whatever your employer wants" includes many, many things that would be outside the job remit of a nurse.

No they haven't and yes I have, you really should learn to read and understand what is written.

Obviously as the op, I've read the entire thread and can't think of anywhere I've seen that it's being denied ,in fact I would say everyone has agreed with that, just getting to that point of being healthy and who's responsibilty it is to pay for that bad been well argued so far.

Thousands of people with a cold visit hospitals every day, if someone not in isolation is going to catch a cold they are going to catch it whether you are there or not. How heavy your cold is is irrelevant because it is the same virus regardless of how it affect you personalty. Keeping a cold out of hospitals isn't possible unless you screen everyone for the virus, people in intensive care are usually isolated from everyone else so that is the one place you shouldn't be working.

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 12:59 ----------

You claim to be a nurse so I am sure you must be capable of coming up with something that you would be capable of doing whilst you have a cold.

Someone with a very heavy cold walks into A&E with an injury, as a nurse would you be incapable of taking a look at them, accessing them and maybe even treating them?

" if you had a cold?

Would you be incapable of carrying document from one department to another department"

This is your only example of 'light duties' that an ITU nurse can carry out if she/he was unwell with a cold.

What would she/he do for the remaining 11 hours and 55 minutes of her/his shift ?:confused:

---------- Post added 09-09-2015 at 10:34 ----------

As you said.

Edited by Daven

Would you be incapable of carrying document from one department to another department[/b]"

This is your only example of 'light duties' that an ITU nurse can carry out if she/he was unwell with a cold.

What would she/he do for the remaining 11 hours and 55 minutes of her/his shift ?:confused:

---------- Post added 09-09-2015 at 10:34 ----------

As you said.

Its one example, I am not about to list everything you should be able to do whilst you have a cold, if you can't think of anything within the NHS that you could do whilst you have a cold then you either don't work for the NHS or you shouldn't be working for the NHS. If you are on full pay whilst you have a cold and deemed a risk to the patients you normally care for, then light duties or caring for other patients would give you something to do, it doesn't really matter how little you do as long as you are helping your colleagues, everything you do leaves the people without a cold more time to do everything else that needs doing.

Edited by adrea

Its one example, I am not about to list everything you should be able to do whilst you have a cold, if you can't think of anything within the NHS that you could do whilst you have a cold then you either don't work for the NHS or you shouldn't be working for the NHS. If you are on full pay whilst you have a cold and deemed a risk to the patients you normally care for, then light duties or caring for other patients would give you something to do, it doesn't really matter how little you do as long as you are helping your colleagues, everything you do leaves the people without a cold more time to do everything else that needs doing.

It's BECAUSE I work for the NHS that I know that this little scenario of yours can not and will not happen.

It's BECAUSE I work for the NHS that I know that this little scenario of yours can not and will not happen.

If you did you would know that the NHS already as a light duties and alternative duties policy.

If you did you would know that the NHS already as a light duties and alternative duties policy.

I do but need you to provide a link to this policy.

Edited by Daven

Do you understand that a virus spreads from person to person?

So there even though a nurse might not have any clinical contact with a patient if given "light duties", they'll constantly come in contact with people who are having clinical contacts with patients.

Do you understand that a virus spreads from person to person?

So there even though a nurse might not have any clinical contact with a patient if given "light duties", they'll constantly come in contact with people who are having clinical contacts with patients.

It spreads form person to person and person to object and object to person, each person that comes into contact with the virus is contagious even before they develop symptoms. If you stop going to work after you first symptoms you have already spread the virus in your workplace and there is a very high probability you came into contact with it in the hospital in the first place. Thousands of people staff/patients/visitors passing through hospitals each day means the virus isn't going to be kept out. It will make no difference to the spread of the virus if a nurse with a cold stays at home for two weeks. And even if by some miracle that nurse doesn't spread it, one of the thousands of other people will spread it.

It spreads form person to person and person to object and object to person, each person that comes into contact with the virus is contagious even before they develop symptoms. If you stop going to work after you first symptoms you have already spread the virus in your workplace and there is a very high probability you came into contact with it in the hospital in the first place. Thousands of people staff/patients/visitors passing through hospitals each day means the virus isn't going to be kept out. It will make no difference to the spread of the virus if a nurse with a cold stays at home for two weeks. And even if by some miracle that nurse doesn't spread it, one of the thousands of other people will spread it.

I'm not talking about risk eradication, just risk management. You cannot eliminate the risk entirely, but you can try to lessen the risk as much as possible.

The cold is a droplet spread virus. So if you're not coughing or sneezing then there's little chance of passing it on. You're most infectious when the cold is making you sneeze, or you're blowing your nose, or breathing on someone in close contact with you.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 08:15 ----------

Obviously as the op, I've read the entire thread and can't think of anywhere I've seen that it's being denied ,in fact I would say everyone has agreed with that, just getting to that point of being healthy and who's responsibilty it is to pay for that bad been well argued so far.

Because it's nothing more than a concept ! Yet there is proof in the private sector what actually works !

You disputed it. Right here. You've read the whole thread, but can't remember your own posts?

Or are you going to claim that saying "it's only a concept" is actually you agreeing with it?

Edited by Cyclone