The nhs, pedalos , robot vacuum cleaners & zumba classes..

As a not long retired NHS employee ( in a position where I gave direct care to patients in a critical setting) can anyone tell me when employees such as me would be given the time to do these classes. During non-existent lunch breaks, which when they did exist are only 30 minutes? At the end of a shift, which should have been 8 hours, but often expanded to 9 or 10, and then I just wanted to go home, sleep and then return next day to do the same again? Sometimes, I didn`t even have time for a loo break! Sorry, but just not practical. It will never work. As for going to work when ill, we could have been half dying and still expected to come in to work

As a not long retired NHS employee ( in a position where I gave direct care to patients in a critical setting) can anyone tell me when employees such as me would be given the time to do these classes. During non-existent lunch breaks, which when they did exist are only 30 minutes? At the end of a shift, which should have been 8 hours, but often expanded to 9 or 10, and then I just wanted to go home, sleep and then return next day to do the same again? Sometimes, I didn`t even have time for a loo break! Sorry, but just not practical. It will never work. As for going to work when ill, we could have been half dying and still expected to come in to work

No idea when you are going to do them, and I don't doubt that you were genuinely working when ill, but would you rather see this money allocated to patient care instead of zumba classes ? Doesn't it just seem a daft idea when the nhs is crying out for investment ?

Congratulations on your retirement !

I know exactly where you are coming from.

At the beginning of a stressful shift you hit the ground running and dare not slow down - it's like being on a hamster wheel.

I often work my 8 hour (usually more like 9 or more) without a break or a toilet break.

It's no wonder nurses get sick - I don't get a toilet break but since I go without a drink never mind something to eat I guess a toilet break is not often required .:(

The NHS runs on the goodwill and dedication of it's staff. Take that away and it would cease to exist.

Edited by Daven

No idea when you are going to do them, and I don't doubt that you were genuinely working when ill, but would you rather see this money allocated to patient care instead of zumba classes ? Doesn't it just seem a daft idea when the nhs is crying out for investment ?

NOT IF IT SAVES MORE MONEY THAN IT COSTS.

Why can't you understand this simple concept?

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 19:24 ----------

Anything that your employer wants doing that you are capable of doing.

So you can't actually give an example then?

Why not just pull a sickie for a few days at a time then return to work for a day and then pull a few more sickies claiming you 'aren't well enough to come back'?

I've pulled loads of sickie and gone for days out.........everyone does it.

Because it's nothing more than a concept ! Yet there is proof in the private sector what actually works !

And it's a 5 million pounds concept/gamble that could be used to actually save real lives save people's eyesight and change thousands of lives.

Not to mention a poster has already said a scheme like this but with yoga has already been tried and failed.

Why are you so desperate to gamble the nhs money away when the proof already exists what works !

Edited by bigsexydoug

There is plenty of proof that healthier staff take less time off due to illness.

I gave one but I could give plenty.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

There is plenty of proof that healthier staff take less time off due to illness.

That's got to be the most obvious point anyone as ever made, and no one disputes it.

Why not just pull a sickie for a few days at a time then return to work for a day and then pull a few more sickies claiming you 'aren't well enough to come back'?

Because in the NHS we have something called the Bradford Score - the more times you are off sick regardless of how long you are off sick the higher the score. http://www.icalculator.info/hr/bradford_factor_calculator.html

Everyone doesn't take sickies - I don't because I have a conscience and actually care about my colleagues and the effect my absence will have on the standard of care that can be given to our patients.

As I have said previously - the NHS runs on the goodwill and dedication of it's staff at all levels.

Edited by Daven

Errr.. no we don't....

Actually, no, everybody does not do it. I hope you are proud of yourself RickyM and I hope your employer has seen this