Jamie Oliver: 'sugar tax'

The food industry has hit back at Jamie Oliver’s latest campaign to impose a “sugar tax” on soft drinks to combat the obesity crisis; no doubt they are paying a lobbying company who is in the pocket of an MP.

Jamie’s Sugar Rush, Channel 4, Thurs Sep 3, 9pm

But at least people are talking about the subject, obesity, how easy would it be to tax high added sugar foods more?

Foods such as Jaffa cakes and biscuits are taxed differently, why not sugar?

Maybe all processed foods should be taxed more?

The food industry has hit back at Jamie Oliver’s latest campaign to impose a “sugar tax” on soft drinks to combat the obesity crisis; no doubt they are paying a lobbying company who is in the pocket of an MP.

But at least people are talking about the subject, obesity, how easy would it be to tax high added sugar foods more?

Tax sugar. Tax the obese too. Soon think twice about scoffing that last jammie dodger.

Tax sugar. Tax the obese too. Soon think twice about scoffing that last jammie dodger.

What about the chips tho, tax that too?

Bring back rationing. British people were never as healthy as they were during WWII.

Bring back rationing. British people were never as healthy as they were during WWII.

Great idea! Let's bring back air-raids and conscription too.

Would you be happy to have your food rationed?

Do you think food rationing would benefit the economy?

Questions.

Anecdotally, I think the "obesity crisis" in children is a myth.

I have two kids in school age 6 and 10. I know most kids in their classes and their parents. In all the years I've been dropping them off and collecting them at school, don't think I've ever seen a kid that was visibly obese in the whole school.

I know some will point to the figures, sorry I believe what I see with my own eyes, first hand evidence.

Quite laughable to accuse people of lobbying mp's when Jamie Oliver has a massive food range which would benefit him quite handsomely If a sugar tax came in !

I think that you are wrong. Each generation is different from the last one; my daughter and council went for a day trip near the coast, with the dog; very friendly campsite - but yet hardly any of the children could throw a good ball for the dog.

Its all technology, not enough running around and playing.

I have two kids in school age 6 and 10. I know most kids in their classes and their parents. In all the years I've been dropping them off and collecting them at school, don't think I've ever seen a kid that was visibly obese in the whole school.

I know some will point to the figures, sorry I believe what I see with my own eyes, first hand evidence.

One of the issues is that what is "normal" to our eyes has changed.

You're probably seeing fat children and thinking that they're normal.

Good idea.

Chips would also be affected if the idea were refined to a Glycemic Index tax.

They all have the same problem. Lots of calories but not filling, so you want more only a short time later.

Good idea.

Chips would also be affected if the idea were refined to a Glycemic Index tax.

They all have the same problem. Lots of calories but not filling, so you want more only a short time later.

I think the proposal is about added sugar, not the calorific value or the glycemic index of food. So that would mean no extra tax for fruit and most unprocessed foods.

Governments interfere enough already! If parents are stupid enough to feed thier kids junk food then so be it. People should have freedom to chose rather than be forced to pay more money to the government for a small (in number that is) minority.