Do you think the price is fair?

Is this house the second choice from your previous thread here? Presumably the cheeky offer wasn't accepted?

The only thing you have to go on is the price of number 8 which sold in 2012 for £117,500. However, unless you can obtain the archived information on that, you cannot really compare. You need to go on Zoopla and search the roads in that area for previously sold prices.

The cash back incentive brings it down to £137,000.

No. This is a third one that I've found, which I prefer out of all of them.

The cheeky offer wasn't accepted, and now I'm grateful because I much prefer this one. I didn't expect much from the house from the photos, but it felt lovely inside.

I offered 132k, it has been refused. I don't know what to do now.... It has been on the market for almost a year with very little interest. (They swapped estate agents a few months ago.)

Assuming that the £3,000 cashback is only given if the asking price is achieved, perhaps you could up your offer to £135,000? At the end of the day it is what the house is worth to you - if you like it then it might be worth paying a little bit more but just go up in small increments.

As it's been on the market for a long time, it would be worth doing some more research into the area. If properties are not selling very quickly in Scunthorpe then you are likely to have the same issue if you decide to sell at a later date. Your own house has sold very quickly and that saleability is what you perhaps ought to be looking for in a new home. It's the biggest purchase you will make and you don't want to lose money.

I wonder if you would be better off renting in this area just to get the feel of the place and to give yourself time to look around? If your husband is working in Sheffield, the journey could get to be a real pain and expensive too.

You've given me lots of great tips to consider :-D

My husband and I have already worried about how difficult it might be for us to sell it too, it's quite a concern. I'm so torn *sigh*

Thank you again

Best to give it a lot of thought but not to purchase if you are not entirely sure. You also have your children to consider so you definitely want to know all about the local schools and if there are young people around for them to befriend. If you don't have two cars, remember to check bus times and cost. Scunthorpe used to be a nice little shopping centre years ago but I don't know what it's like now.

If you've made an offer and the house has been on the market for a long time, stick to it. A refusal does not mean you'll not get it for that price. The Agent may well phone you up some time from now and say the deal is there. It's happened to me more than once. It's important to explain to the Agent exactly why your offer is good... and remind them it's not sold for such a looking time. Even if they're a new Agent that will make them jump one of two ways... persuade their Vendor to see sense or fight tooth-and-nail for a better price from someone else... but if the interest isn't there the interest isn't there.

No need to increase, yet. It's just a house with the potential to become your home, you have no emotional ties to it yet.

When I lived in Lincolnshire 10+ years ago, Winterton was a pretty quiet village that was slowly turning into a town, without much going on or amenities. Scunthorpe isn't too far away, but frankly it's a dump since the steelworks closed and you'll spend most of your time driving down the A15 to go to Lincoln or the M18 to visit Meadowhall. (If you are a sadist, you'll go to Hull to go shopping)

Is there a special reason you are looking at Winterton? The house is a decent price to be fair, but I'd get it thoroughly checked over for damp, that whole area between Scunthorpe and the Humber is barely above sea level and pretty famous for damp houses.

The_bloke - the OP is looking for a rural environment and Winterton has house prices that are within her range.

Have just checked Google maps and it does seem like a small town rather than a village but from the photographs it looks quite pleasant. I reckon that the previous poster who advised to hang on has made a good point. You have the upper hand as you have secured a buyer for your own property so maybe just sit on it for a little while. IMHO your offer was reasonable given that they are having difficulty selling the property. Of course you perhaps wouldn't qualify for the cash back but it would still be below the asking price, including that £3,000.

Can't see any mention of freehold or leasehold in the ad. Is this somethiong you have considered?

It appears to be a nice village. We've had a walk around and it seems to be a pleasant place to be.

I hadn't noticed the freehold/leasehold thing, I figured it was freehold. I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

We go on holiday shortly, so I'm hoping they will have plenty of stewing time and realise we could be their only hope :)

Thank you again

It appears to be a nice village. We've had a walk around and it seems to be a pleasant place to be.

I hadn't noticed the freehold/leasehold thing, I figured it was freehold. I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

We go on holiday shortly, so I'm hoping they will have plenty of stewing time and realise we could be their only hope :)

Thank you again

If a house has been on market for 12 months and hasnt sold why. :suspect::suspect: