Punchbowl pub Crookes

Yeah I thought it was a Punch House. Well at least the ex manager believes he can make it pay by being brave enough to back it with his own money.

Another Greene King pub in Crookes, that's 3 now and since The Ball is much better I cannot see Punchbowl doing well especially if they are selling Greene King ales only (wont be seeing me in there if thats the case) which The Ball doesn't have many on and then you have The Old Grindstone down the road also selling Greene King ales.

You do surprise me Peter... Not! ;)

Thing is, you know it will do well in Sheffield. Another pub selling bland beer at 'reasonable' prices. That's what everyone wants isn't it? Perish the thought of trying to offer something different.

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed the quote

Guest makapaka
Another Greene King pub in Crookes, that's 3 now and since The Ball is much better I cannot see Punchbowl doing well especially if they are selling Greene King ales only (wont be seeing me in there if thats the case) which The Ball doesn't have many on and then you have The Old Grindstone down the road also selling Greene King ales.

Thing is, you know it will do well in Sheffield. Another pub selling bland beer at 'reasonable' prices. That's what everyone wants isn't it? Perish the thought of trying to offer something different.

Just because you don't like the beer doesn't make it bad.

It would appear most people have a different taste to you.

Edited by makapaka
fixed the quote

Well now it has been open for two days already perhaps someone will come along and tell everyone just which beers are on sale now.

I have just looked on Untappd and Castle Rock Harvest Pale and Greene King IPA look just up your street ;)

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Just because you don't like the beer doesn't make it bad.

It would appear most people have a different taste to you.

Yeah but most people are sheep and follow what the advertisers tell them to drink - not what is actually any good. And the thing is I wasn't actually talking to you as I know very well how woolly you are. I know Peter well. We split a bottle of Evil Twin Double Imperial Fudge Stout at the weekend. So I know very well that he has no time for Greene King beers either.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Guest makapaka

Yeah but most people are sheep and follow what the advertisers tell them to drink - not what is actually any good. And the thing is I wasn't actually talking to you as I know very well how woolly you are. I know Peter well. We split a bottle of Evil Twin Double Imperial Fudge Stout at the weekend. So I know very well that he has no time for Greene King beers either.

Why would what you or "Peter" like to drink have any bearing on what others do?

More to the point why should anyone care?

Edited by makapaka
fixed the quote

I agree.

I really don't get this attitude some real ale drinkers have to people that don't share their taste.

I have friends who drink wine beer lager spirits and we just accept we all have different tastes.

Cant understand why they choose to judge others just because they have different preferences its like they feel they are a bit above the rest of us.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

It's real ale snobbery and politics at play and no matter how expensive it is. I'm sure their is some tall tales been told like certain posters claiming they are happy to six pounds plus for a pint. Which barrel do they think people have dropped off?

It's real ale snobbery and politics at play and no matter how expensive it is. I'm sure their is some tall tales been told like certain posters claiming they are happy to six pounds plus for a pint. Which barrel do they think people have dropped off?

There are loads of places that charge more than £6 for a pint. The Blake recently had some beers on at £9 a pint. The point is, at 7-8% strength, and imported, they may very well be worth the price and are designed to be drunk in halves. Or you could drink the Neepsend Blonde at £2.70.

It's called choice.

There are loads of places that charge more than £6 for a pint. The Blake recently had some beers on at £9 a pint. The point is, at 7-8% strength, and imported, they may very well be worth the price and are designed to be drunk in halves. Or you could drink the Neepsend Blonde at £2.70.

It's called choice.

Yes quite ture it's ' choice' but it's not doing the pub trade much good is it?

Guest makapaka
Yes quite ture it's ' choice' but it's not doing the pub trade much good is it?

Exactly. Of course people have choice and I don't have any issue with people drinking what they want wherever they want at the price they're willing to pay.

For some reason some people who like speciality beers (which I don't mind also) seem to want to trash any pub or person that doesn't sell/like them.

It's bizarre.

I've said it before but it's like looking at a restaurant menu not seeing anything you like and then saying the restaurant is rubbish. Weird.

Edited by makapaka

Well we had a venture up to to Crookes on Saturday evening to try the reopened Punchbowl.

The good news was it was very busy, I can hardly recall it this busy under the previous ownership.

Food trade was brisk, and we were sat next to the pizza oven the orders were flying in.

Been a few tweaks on the pizza menu, and 1 or 2 offers added.

Real ale wise we had Harvest Pale at £2.85. Much better beer than the Reet Pale.

Seems they're awaiting a full beer and catering delivery to restock after the closure.

They had run out of some ales as it was so busy.

I wish it well, was good to see it well used again.