Punchbowl pub Crookes

The worst thing about new pubs nowadays, why do they need to strip everything down and make it loud and echoing?

I went in for a look being local to the pub wont be visiting again, the prices put me off.

Guinness £3-85 Estrella £3-95 how can they charge prices like that in a local pub.

Chatting to the regulars that used to be in teatimes and weekends they wont be going in.

I went in for a look being local to the pub wont be visiting again, the prices put me off.

Guinness £3-85 Estrella £3-95 how can they charge prices like that in a local pub.

Chatting to the regulars that used to be in teatimes and weekends they wont be going in.

The old regulars? Both of them?

It was a failed pub that closed down. It didn't have the best reputation. There are plenty of pubs in the area.

The Punchbowl is about nice things that will attract people who will make an effort to go there to enjoy and pay the price of quality, rather than trying to cling on to the last few customers of old by selling cheap industrial booze and freezer-to-microwave bar snacks. You can do that even cheaper at home anyway.

If you think the Guinness is expensive, why not try one of the English stouts on handpump that are much cheaper and better than Guinness.

Edited by Andy C

I went in on Sunday and must say much better than what it was.

A complete refurb and 8 ales as well, which is better than the 3 we had last time.

The old regulars? Both of them?

It was a failed pub that closed down. It didn't have the best reputation. There are plenty of pubs in the area.

The Punchbowl is about nice things that will attract people who will make an effort to go there to enjoy and pay the price of quality, rather than trying to cling on to the last few customers of old by selling cheap industrial booze and freezer-to-microwave bar snacks. You can do that even cheaper at home anyway.

If you think the Guinness is expensive, why not try one of the English stouts on handpump that are much cheaper and better than Guinness.

Obviously you do not know anything about the Punchbowl, when did it close down?

I carnt remember it being closed, only for a total refit in in 2009 for about five weeks the managers that made a difference was Tracy & Kevin, Julie & Dave and recently Craig and his wife who was a local lad.

And as for a refit its just had all that is different is a Pizza Oven, a bit of tiling, added tables and chairs and move a door not exactly a refit.

Oh a bit of re-upholstery.:huh:

I think the new tenants will be pleased about that. This looks like a total re-branding. Giving the place a complete makeover in terms of who it attracts. No more cheap fizzy lager or sky sports.

I went in the old place a couple of times and found it very dull and staff not really interested in providing a service to the customers.

This feels very different. Have had a few beers and a pizza - all good so far - will give them time to bed in a a bit before judging.

Big thumbs up from me. Great atmosphere for an afternoon session but I can easily see that it could get really noisy in an evening if even half full. Not too keen on the high stools and tables but there's plenty of other seats. Ale from £2. 85 a pint cask to £4. 85 keg punk IPA.

Me likey

My OH not likey......too modern and not cosy and traditional for her.

Edited by taxman

Went last Friday, will visit more often now it's got a decent beer selection. One thing I did like about the last incarnation though was the live bands on Friday night - I take it these won't be a fixture any more?

I've been in a couple of times now. Before the change I never felt welcome in there - it had quite a hard edge to it, definitely not the place to chill out with a few friends over a couple of nice pints. Now it's a huge improvement, friendly staff and customers, a great range of local beers plus a few others. Every time I've been in there's been families with kids having meals. I'm sure the old 'regulars' will find somewhere else if they don't like it.

reopening tonight after the demise of Reet Ales

Heard that. Good news. Any word on 3 tuns....?

Heard that. Good news. Any word on 3 tuns....?

just says reopening soon