Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

Hi,

I often wondered what happened to that model. I always assumed it became something of an embarrassment to the Town Hall crowd and was quietly disposed of.

Regards

Still we don't have to worry about that any more. You got Ontario, I got Montreal, a fair swap in my opinion. Left a long time ago, but still a Habs fan. Cheers

Still we don't have to worry about that any more. You got Ontario, I got Montreal, a fair swap in my opinion. Left a long time ago, but still a Habs fan. Cheers

Hi,

We also lived in Montreal in the mid 1960's for a couple of years and much preferred it to Toronto. Far more character.

On the other hand, we never got used to the bitter cold and the 80-90 inches of snow each winter back then. Somebody once said the sad thing about Montreal is the Skiing is bad in June, July and August.

Regards

Edited by Falls
Spelling error

The Corn Exchange. It was a crime to demolish such a fine building. Despite the 1947 fire damage to a large part of the building, it could have been restored..:(

I've a feeling it was used as a Register Office when my parents married in 1946, no wonder it burned down!

Regards,

Duffems

I've a feeling it was used as a Register Office when my parents married in 1946, no wonder it burned down!

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems,

Here's a link to a 'The Star' 1947 press report on the Corn Exchange fire, which may interest you:-

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/LinkedArticles/NewsSection07/1947CornExchange.html

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Duffems,

Here's a link to a 'The Star' 1947 press report on the Corn Exchange fire, which may interest you:-

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/LinkedArticles/NewsSection07/1947CornExchange.html

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, most interesting. On my parents' marriage certificate it says, "The Register Office", I'm sure mum said it was the Corn Exchange building, I'll ask her later, she's now 89 and very astute.

Regards,

Duffems

As the war was coming to a close someone made a model of a plan for a new city centre. It was masterful and compared well with how Plymouth was rebuilt. But it never came to fruition. They made a big hole in the middle of High Street, and a holy mess out of the Moor.

Plymouth city centre was flattened during the war, with it being replaced by plain concrete monstrosities. Like most things, the grand plan of Plymouth City centre's post war redevelopment probably suffered from a lack of resources.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, most interesting. On my parents' marriage certificate it says, "The Register Office", I'm sure mum said it was the Corn Exchange building, I'll ask her later, she's now 89 and very astute.

Regards,

Duffems

Seems like it would be doesn't it. I hope she finds the press report interesting too if you relate it to her!

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

PeterR - hadn't seen that photograph of the Royal Hospital - it's lovely to see the old place. Thank you for posting the link.

The Royal Hospital was in the shape of letter 'E', the back of it being the corridors and the three lines coming from that were the wards. The middle one ended up protruding out, longer than the others when the Miner's Welfare Block was added.

As for the Tinsley Cooling Towers, I too was very sad to see them go and still miss them when I use the M1. :(

Re Royal Hospital -You may find this Youtube film of interest Jomie

Hi,

We also lived in Montreal in the mid 1960's for a couple of years and much preferred it to Toronto. Far more character.

On the other hand, we never got used to the bitter cold and the 80-90 inches of snow each winter back then. Somebody once said the sad thing about Montreal is the Skiing is bad in June, July and August.

Regards

Montreal's favorite expression, Mon pays c'est l' hiver. I lived there for nine years before being lured into New England. We still drive up a few times a year to eat decent food and enjoy old friends, the best food in the world outside Paris or Quebec City. Just 320 miles away.

---------- Post added 18-10-2015 at 18:25 ----------

Hi,

Regards

Montreal's favorite expression, Mon pays c'est l' hiver. Edited by buck

The Brushes ( old red caps and later, part of Firth Park school. Also Norwood Hall.

I've been trying to work out where On Herries Road was Norwood Hall. Looking at photos can't tell which side of Herries it was-Northern General side?- It was only demolished in 1976 but for the life of me I just can't place it.

I've been trying to work out where On Herries Road was Norwood Hall. Looking at photos can't tell which side of Herries it was-Northern General side?- It was only demolished in 1976 but for the life of me I just can't place it.

-----------------

Hi Stpetre, I think Norwood Hall was on left opposite the road leading

to Longley Est, on that corner is two shops and buses pass on that rd

to Longley. hope that helps you.

--------

PS, When that hall was knocked down they had Bunglows built on

that land.