Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

;):hihi:, You have now mentioned the pavilion and the mythical trophy room .You should start a new thread, i.e. Which current building would you like to see demolished? I have a good idea what would be your first choice LOL

And I suspect you'd be correct,lol.

And I suspect you'd be correct,lol.

Say no more , nudge nudge, wink wink.

id rebuild norfolk park flats good old days

The Corn Exchange. It was a crime to demolish such a fine building. Despite the 1947 fire damage to a large part of the building, it could have been restored..:(

The Corn Exchange. It was a crime to demolish such a fine building. Despite the 1947 fire damage to a large part of the building, it could have been restored..:(

Like so many buildings in the post war era they could have been rebuilt but wasn't, perhaps lack of will or desire plus the economics of the time didn't help. In Germany they are rebuilding quite a few buildings like the Berlin City Palace that were destroyed in the war.

..In Germany they are rebuilding quite a few buildings like the Berlin City Palace that were destroyed in the war.
Yes indeed, the Germans have done much to reconstruct what was destroyed in the war - they did an excellent job in Münster for example. And even the Russians have made an effort. A cathedral in Moscow was blown up by Stalin and rebuilt by Yeltsin..:)

The Old Bank on the top of Commercial Street,a wonderful piece of Victorian Architecture.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 14:00 ----------

And my old house 132 Cemetery Road,demolished in 1968 it was a lovely bay windowed victorian house with lovely old fireplaces

St. Paul's Church, on Pinstone Street (next to the Town hall). From the few photographs that still exist, it appears to have been a fine looking building.

Regards

The old Corn Exchange. A stunning great building sadly lost in a fire. I think it was on Exchange Street.

The old Corn Exchange. A stunning great building sadly lost in a fire. I think it was on Exchange Street.

Yes, it had a frontage onto four streets in all; Exchange St - Wharf Street - Broad Street and Corn Exchange. See hillsbro's post #88 for a picture of the Corn Exchange frontage.

As the war was coming to a close someone made a model of a plan for a new city centre. It was masterful and compared well with how Plymouth was rebuilt. But it never came to fruition. They made a big hole in the middle of High Street, and a holy mess out of the Moor.

As the war was coming to a close someone made a model of a plan for a new city centre. It was masterful and compared well with how Plymouth was rebuilt. But it never came to fruition. They made a big hole in the middle of High Street, and a holy mess out of the Moor.

Hi,

I often wondered what happened to that model. I always assumed it became something of an embarrassment to the Town Hall crowd and was quietly disposed of.

Regards