Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

I'd bring back the old rag & tag open air market in its original site at bottom of Dixon Lane and bordering what used to be Sheaf St and Commercial St. Might be hard to do now with that monstrosity of a roundabout there and those supertrams occupying most of Commercial St. Well, they could do away with that roundabout for me.

Seconded a whole area ruined by the so called planners.

The Mojo Club (Pitsmoor Road), but then the bands would have to come back and we'd all have to be eighteen again!!

---------- Post added 17-09-2015 at 01:30 ----------

I can still remember the very particular smell of the hotdogs cooking in the foyer in the sixties. Wonder if they could re-create that?

Not if you knew what hotdogs were made from !

---------- Post added 17-09-2015 at 01:35 ----------

PeterR - hadn't seen that photograph of the Royal Hospital - it's lovely to see the old place. Thank you for posting the link.

The Royal Hospital was in the shape of letter 'E', the back of it being the corridors and the three lines coming from that were the wards. The middle one ended up protruding out, longer than the others when the Miner's Welfare Block was added.

As for the Tinsley Cooling Towers, I too was very sad to see them go and still miss them when I use the M1. :(

I agree with the cooling towers, but were they actually in Tinsley? as they were part of Blackburn Meadows Power Station. And Blackburn is in...well.... I don't mean Lancashire.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Not if you knew what hotdogs were made from !

---------- Post added 17-09-2015 at 01:35 ----------

Just the smell!

I never actually ate one

To answer St Petre's query about the Cooling Towers location, yes they were in the Tinsley ward of Sheffield as the County Borough boundary encompassed the sewage works and the CEGB plant.

You will not find them on the 1/1250 Ordnance Survey plan of 1954 as at that time they were omitted being a security area (power station).I know because I was the Field Surveyor who worked on that particular plan and was hugely disappointed not to find them on the published sheet!

To answer St Petre's query about the Cooling Towers location, yes they were in the Tinsley ward of Sheffield as the County Borough boundary encompassed the sewage works and the CEGB plant.

You will not find them on the 1/1250 Ordnance Survey plan of 1954 as at that time they were omitted being a security area (power station).I know because I was the Field Surveyor who worked on that particular plan and was hugely disappointed not to find them on the published sheet!

Thank you Voldy, for your answer and the reason about the Ordnance map.

Agree with most of these.Scandalous seeing so much fine architecture lost forever.

Would add Victoria Station.

Also Kings Head -Crosspool

Gatefield Club

Brincliffe Oaks.

Great shout !

Add to those, what's already been mentioned in the line of the old theatres through the city too and the Rex Cinema at Intake as well for me.

Thank you Voldy, for your answer and the reason about the Ordnance map.

Also Voldy, that would explain why Neepsend Power Station or Royal Naval Ordnance (Cardiff Street) among other things are not on the maps. Thanks again.

I would bring back the Castle Market along with its smashing individual cafe areas .

This combined with all the little nooks and crannies around every corner made it the best Market hall in South Yorkshire.

Perhaps I'm been daft here, but I miss the old Castle Market got to know many traders in their many of which didn't move to the Moor Market. Yes the new market is nice and perhaps better but is not the same.

Trophy room at bramall lane (if there ever was one)

Many years ago I saw one of the old steam locomotive's ''Sheffield United''' nameplates on the Boardroom wall at Bramall Lane if you count this as a trophy!

Many years ago I saw one of the old steam locomotive's ''Sheffield United''' nameplates on the Boardroom wall at Bramall Lane if you count this as a trophy!

Perhaps for (the then) British Railways it was !

Trophy room at bramall lane (if there ever was one)

;):hihi:, You have now mentioned the pavilion and the mythical trophy room .You should start a new thread, i.e. Which current building would you like to see demolished? I have a good idea what would be your first choice LOL

Edited by TORONTONY