Going chemical free

Because the entire point of the forum is debate.

No it isn't. I feel bad that an apparently intelligent guy has got such a silly idea into his head.

And I feel bad that an apparently intelligent guy has got such a silly idea into his head.

and hopefully realize that whatever he's been reading about toxins is a load of hokum.

Its about lifestyle too; you know those surveys that say that people that grow their own food live 10 years longer.

I would love to have a better lifestyle, owning an allotment and growing your own food is a great way to get out of the chair and experience life.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 10:35 ----------

No it isn't. I feel bad that an apparently intelligent guy has got such a silly idea into his head.

Perhaps its an even sadder thing that intelligent people waste their time on here; when communities are going down the pan?

Those people growing their own food also do more exercise and eat more veg which is probably what accounts for it. I suspect running to the supermarket every weekend and buying commercial veg would have exactly the same effect.

Wouldn't be as much fun as sitting on your allotment under a sheet of tarp in the rain watching the newbies try to dig up a tree stump though :-)

What do you think the purpose of the forum is then?

You'll note that this thread is in the "general discussion" area of the forum. Not in the "Only post if you agree with me" area.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 10:39 ----------

Its about lifestyle too; you know those surveys that say that people that grow their own food live 10 years longer.

I would love to have a better lifestyle, owning an allotment and growing your own food is a great way to get out of the chair and experience life.

People need to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Edited by Cyclone

What do you think the purpose of the forum is then?

You'll note that this thread is in the "general discussion" area of the forum. Not in the "Only post if you agree with me" area.

Now you want to qualify your sweeping statement because you realised that you are wrong. You might find that the Pets section is more your pace.

So you’re on a mission to avoid chemicals? Best not eat food then. Especially not ‘natural’ and ‘clean’ food, since much of that contain more chemicals than your average Mars bar, that’s for sure….

Give this a read: http://io9.com/what-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184?commerce_insets_disclosure=off&utm_expid=66866090-48.Ej9760cOTJCPS_Bq4mjoww.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2Fwhat-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184%3Fcommerce_insets_disclosure%3Doff and then tell me that natural produce is lower in chemicals than processed stuff.

It's not out fault that what the OP is proposing or discussions is batcrap crazy now is it?

Or are you saying we should be pandering to fools and the misguided with a "there there very clever Mummy is sooo proud of you" approach?

No I'm not saying that at all. Your reply makes you look very silly :roll: I swear I can almost hear you, hey, look at me, I'm playing out with the big kids.

I just don't like to see people being ridiculed for their beliefs, whatever they are, even batcrap crazy.

Why do you and others like you have to turn so many threads into debates? The Op is just interested in this subject and asked for tips, not a debate. We're not all sitting behind our keyboards waiting to attack and it certainly puts me off that threads Have a 'I'm more intelligent' than you mentality. He/she is being hurled insults for no other reason than to intimidate. It disappoints me that SF so often comes over this way.

Feel free to have a stab, I'm not interested in you.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=86

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111

The three above sub forums would have been a much better place if he wanted opinions that aren't going to differ (debatable, but more likely)

General discussions is going to have, surprise surprise.. discussion. It's also one of the more, ahem, unrestrained areas of sheffield forum, where you'll get a bit more diverse and thankfully not so pandering replies, hence the 3mil+ posts.

I quite like the op sometimes he's spot on, sometimes not so much imo.

If I thought he was a precious little snowflake who couldn't deal with gentle abuse I would do it, but he's not. he's a clever dude and as such I'm sure he can handle it. I seriously doubt he's intimidated by any of this.

The moderation in here is usually quite astute, people having gentle back and forth at 1 in the morning are rightly treated like the adults they probably are, and as such discussion is created.

I looked under my sink (where I keep the cleaning stuff) & I must admit I was aghast at the amount of products under there. So I thought I'd go 'back to basics' as it were.

I looked on the internet & there appeared to be a consensus that White Vinegar & Bicarbonate of Soda were the 2 main products that were necessary to keep a clean home.

I have to say that when I mixed the 2 together I was impressed at how clean the grouting in my shower came up - it was gleaming white! I'd tried Flash & Jif they just didn't do the job. So I'll keep the vinegar & bicarb for that job - but use my all purpose flash for floors & surfaces - just out of convenience.

Great tip! agree the list of chemicals under the sink is amazing.

No I'm not saying that at all. Your reply makes you look very silly :roll: I swear I can almost hear you, hey, look at me, I'm playing out with the big kids.

I just don't like to see people being ridiculed for their beliefs, whatever they are, even batcrap crazy.

I don't like to see people posting stuff that complete rubbish that will cause others real harm and problems if they follow it.

Perhaps you think that it's acceptable to spread misinformation that has life changing consequences?

Myself I think that the truth is far more preferable and if someone who has a long record of being a wind up merchant ends up inadvertently looking a bit foolish then so be it.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 11:35 ----------

Great tip! agree the list of chemicals under the sink is amazing.

You want to try mixing them for the really impressive effects....

Not that I'd recommend it. Especially not in an enclosed space as chlorine is generally bad for the health in a sufficiently concentrated form.....

Those people growing their own food also do more exercise and eat more veg which is probably what accounts for it. I suspect running to the supermarket every weekend and buying commercial veg would have exactly the same effect.

Wouldn't be as much fun as sitting on your allotment under a sheet of tarp in the rain watching the newbies try to dig up a tree stump though :-)

Theres a number of benefits. For instance your food comes straight from the ground. Where as food from supermarkets has probably been kept in a chiller. Research shows carrots lose half of their vitamin c after 4 days...

...I asked you about aspartame, which is in diet coke.

You clearly know something about chemicals which is why I asked.

in the 4 day body by Tim Ferris, he advises against drinking diet sodas. Theres also been debate if its cancer causing. Im not sure.

Ferris thinks its a highly toxic substance that causes anxiety and weight gain.

Youre going to say its all crap?

Psynuk... I agree with the suggestions for a better place, eg, healthy living. I don't know the op it's just that I've seen a lot of gang mentally of ridiculing people and it becomes tedious and uncomfortable to read. There is more than enough conflict in every day real life and I agree banter is one thing but intimidating/ridiculing others less articulate is below the belt. That said, I do agree generally with your reply.