Caravans on football field.

Why not ask them to produce a tax return/P60 etc, then watch them scarper. Or, why don't they move onto spare land down at Page hall, won't fell out of place there.

I live across road and have done for 25 years they aren't causing any harm and Norfolk park isn't as bad as you think I walk my dogs at various time up to midnight I've had no problems and they say hello they're travellers they'll go when their reporting them

Isn't going to do anything unless they have a court paper

I drove down St Aidan's road from Park Grange Road the other day, and there was a pile of rubbish and a pram right in the middle of the road, next to the gypsy site. Maybe it wasn't them though, maybe it was just a coincidence?

Im not being funny but if more provision was made for travellers sites then this kind of thing wouldnt be a problem.

Great idea How about funding it from all the taxes they pay. Or perhaps in gratitude for the contribution that they make to society as a whole.

Great idea How about funding it from all the taxes they pay. Or perhaps in gratitude for the contribution that they make to society as a whole.

Thats the thing people dont get. The reason many criticise the travelling community isnt down to racism or discrimination.

Actually its down to the opposite. We feel everyone should be treat equal. If people want to settle on land they need permission. If they want to build on land they need planning permission. All parents should send their kids to school and if you work or have a business you should pay tax. So people are annoyed not because of their race colour or creed but because they don't follow the rules the rest of us follow.

Thats the thing people dont get. The reason many criticise the travelling community isnt down to racism or discrimination.

Actually its down to the opposite. We feel everyone should be treat equal. If people want to settle on land they need permission. If they want to build on land they need planning permission. All parents should send their kids to school and if you work or have a business you should pay tax. So people are annoyed not because of their race colour or creed but because they don't follow the rules the rest of us follow.

Hypothetical one here, what if someone genuinely doesn't want to take a part in our society at all. They don't use the roads or doctors, never call the police for anything, educate kids at home so don't use schools. But equally they pay no tax and are totally off grid. Would this be ok? I'm not trying to equate 'travellers' with this type of exist because clearly they do use up societies resources even if it's just a council having to issue eviction papers, but what if they didn't?

Hypothetical one here, what if someone genuinely doesn't want to take a part in our society at all. They don't use the roads or doctors, never call the police for anything, educate kids at home so don't use schools. But equally they pay no tax and are totally off grid. Would this be ok? I'm not trying to equate 'travellers' with this type of exist because clearly they do use up societies resources even if it's just a council having to issue eviction papers, but what if they didn't?

For them to be totally off grid it would require them to not register with any bodies ie births deaths and marriages and effectively be hermits in the middle of nowhere. In which case technically they should still contribute but the reality is no one would see them. They wouldn't use resources so its unenforceable.

However its not about resources its about impact. Firstly take planning permission. Its not there as a cash cow for the council, though some people would think so, its there to ensure we don't have unsustainable building that causes problems ie flooding, traffic etc.

Also take the rules about forcing parents to take kids to school. I personally think its a silly law. If someone chose to take their kids out of school and not cost us money teaching that child then why not. But the law unfortunatly says its legally required and they could face prison if they don't. So in my view it should appy to all residents of these islands.

Which is why I feel that all people should follow rule of law and its not right one group or another is excluded.

And clearing up after them.... And having to relay or condemn the playing field because of the sewage left on it...

I agree with almost all of that. But really, if a parent doesn't want to send their child to school, then what moral right do the authorities have to force them into state education? If a parent is happy for their child not to receive an education then that's their choice really, as sad as it seems to the rest of us.

I agree with almost all of that. But really, if a parent doesn't want to send their child to school, then what moral right do the authorities have to force them into state education? If a parent is happy for their child not to receive an education then that's their choice really, as sad as it seems to the rest of us.

Ethics aside it's against the law not to educate your child. Doesn't have to be in school, but education is compulsory.

I think it's not difficult to construct an argument that education of children is morally important. Whether that means that people should be punished if they don't educate their children is an interesting follow-on question. Lots of things that might be considered unethical are not illegal - like lying (except in certain circumstances), or adultery, for example.

Ethics aside it's against the law not to educate your child. Doesn't have to be in school, but education is compulsory.

I think it's not difficult to construct an argument that education of children is morally important. Whether that means that people should be punished if they don't educate their children is an interesting follow-on question. Lots of things that might be considered unethical are not illegal - like lying (except in certain circumstances), or adultery, for example.

If educating a child is fundamental to an moral society, then what about the millions of children throughout the world who aren't receiving an education, and whose parents would love to see them receive one? Or what about state schools in deprived areas who are facing real terms cuts and failing standards year on year? Or how about faith schools that teach children nonsense (in my opinion)? For instance, that children have to spend their lives feeling guilty about some characters in a fairytale who ate an apple from a fictional tree?

Morality is not fixed and objective. It is a philosophical construct of society. To impose one's version of morality on other individuals, especially parents, is not progressive and constructive, in my humble opinion. (Obviously there are extreme exceptions in cases of neglect or abuse, but even that is variable depending on contemporary societal norms.)

Gypsy's and travellers have been around alot longer than these rules and laws. Saying they should all just settle and be like the rest of us is just akin to cultural genoside, so yes your view point is distriminating against there culture.

Gypsy's and travellers have been around alot longer than these rules and laws. Saying they should all just settle and be like the rest of us is just akin to cultural genoside, so yes your view point is distriminating against there culture.

I reserve my right to discriminate against a culture that wants all the benefits of a society to which it contributes nothing .