The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

We live under the covenant which is given to us in the new testament but it doesn't rule out the old testament as it backs up the new.

Ps we use what is known as a long drop !!!( for the toilet in Africa )

Really?

I suspect then that we're in urgent need of a new, new testament to clean up the current new testament

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt_list.html

We live under the covenant which is given to us in the new testament but it doesn't rule out the old testament as it backs up the new.

How do you decide what to follow from the Old Testament?

Edited by SnailyBoy

How do you decide what to follow from the Old Testement?

It's perfectly obvious.

Sound Christians/Jews/Muslims have their own sense of morality outside their religious texts which they use to select the parts of the texts which they accept.

The idea that morality emerges from religion is nonsense.

But that means you get to pick and choose then which bits you want?

So you can ignore the inconvenient bits about clothes with two threads and peas and beans and toilet arrangements?

And you get to the keep the fun bits like downtrodden women, bashing gays and all that?

Seems a bit convenient to me that....

It's perfectly obvious.

Sound Christians/Jews/Muslims have their own sense of morality outside their religious texts which they use to select the parts of the texts which they accept.

The idea that morality emerges from religion is nonsense.

Absolutely agreed. If you need a book to tell you how to be a good person you have already failed.

Absolutely agreed. If you need a book to tell you how to be a good person you have already failed.

Wow. We agree on something.

I think morality comes down to serving the greater good.

The reason people often disagree about what is moral is for various reasons.

1. What is the community we most want to serve. Family, country, world etc.

2. It's hard to know how best to serve the greater good, and we come to different conclusions about how best to achieve it.

3. Do we focus on the short term? Minimise unhappiness as much as possible right now, or is it better for people to endure some unhappiness now so that they can do much better later.

I'm sure that there are many more considerations.

Reading the wisdom of others, especially that which has stood the test of time, can help us understand how to serve the greater good. Up to a point.

However, we should not be putting too much stock in guidance on what serves the greater good which is thousands of years out of date.

We should also be very wary of people who try to con us into thinking we're serving the greater good when we're really serving them. Not everybody has a drive to serve the greater good and such amoral people are a constant hazard.

Wow. We agree on something.

I'm sure we agree on lots of things, but perhaps not on SF :hihi:

How do you decide what to follow from the Old Testament?

study and see https://www.gci.org/law/otl00 i could give you a paraphrase but am not going to as to understand you need to study , if you truly want to know then you will do that

Edited by teeny

How do you decide what to ignore from the new testament?

https://www.gci.org/law/otl00

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 15:17 ----------

No, I asked how you decide what to follow.

https://www.gci.org/law/otl00 as i said you want to know then study as this is how we use the old testament