The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

Would you die for anyone ? Jesus died for my sins what human would do that deliberate act of selflessness. Jesus died so I can go to heaven

So Jesus died before you were born, for your 'sins' that were defined by your god?

You might need to run that past me again

Edited by SnailyBoy

Also what happened to all those people before Jesus was born. God just condemened them to suffering in hell with no way out? What a *******! Why should anyone follow him etc etc...

But who decides morality?

I think we all have a say in what we find to be acceptable behaviour. We're not talking about the law ... and I'm not defending the bible but it does have a place in the debate. I've a hunch people will still be reading the bible long after the last SF post is written.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 18:02 ----------

... a few things ...

Hi RB,

It's going back a way now in this thread, but if you still have the will to engage, the point I was making was that a way of life is not just the result of any academic course of study. You have to engage more than your intellect.

A way of life is not something you learn, discuss and get a qualification, it's something you practice.

You asked "What is the link you make between your lack of faith in schools and the police helicopter's presence?"

I'm not saying I have a lack of faith in schools as a general point, just that it takes more than any number of school lessons to develop a sense of morality. You have to belong to some community that you care about that isn't afraid to lay down a standard of expected behaviour.

You also seem to have a lot more faith than I do in everybody developing their own morality, without the assistance of an authority. I guess that laissez-faire "let the kids work it out for themselves" might work in your part of town, but it sure isn't working in mine, as evidenced by the number of times the police helicopter is hovering nearby.

(I live a few hundred yards from where the Pizza delivery guy was murdered not so long ago)

:hippy: :peace bro: :chill:

Edited by DrNorm

Hi RB,

It's going back a way now in this thread, but if you still have the will to engage, the point I was making was that a way of life is not just the result of any academic course of study. You have to engage more than your intellect.

what makes you think that pupils wouldn't engage more than their intellect?

A way of life is not something you learn, discuss and get a qualification, it's something you practice.
I'm pretty sure I used to practice maths and other subjects in and out of school. I still practice maths and English most days even in my adulthood. I learned it all in school.

You asked "What is the link you make between your lack of faith in schools and the police helicopter's presence?"

I'm not saying I have a lack of faith in schools as a general point, just that it takes more than any number of school lessons to develop a sense of morality. You have to belong to some community that you care about that isn't afraid to lay down a standard of expected behaviour.

it's almost like you're describing a school

You also seem to have a lot more faith than I do in everybody developing their own morality, without the assistance of an authority.

I'm pretty sure my suggestion was the opposite of that :suspect:

I guess that laissez-faire "let the kids work it out for themselves" might work in your part of town, but it sure isn't working in mine, as evidenced by the number of times the police helicopter is hovering nearby.

(I live a few hundred yards from where the Pizza delivery guy was murdered not so long ago)

:hippy: :peace bro: :chill:

I'm really not sure where you've got this notion from. I haven't suggested or implied that people should be left to work it out for themselves.

I'm curious as to what you think is so special about a how a Church works. Most services, in general, consist of an authority figure lecturing/teaching/explaining to an assembly of members/participants who listen. Outside of this service it's up to the people to take away what they've learnt and put it into practice.

It's very much like a school class lesson, except the source material is usually more credible in schools.

I'm curious as to what you think is so special about a how a Church works.

Maybe I've misunderstood, you, but you've certainly misunderstood me if you think I'm supporting the church in this role (although I am less "anti" than most and see good as well as the very public bad).

.. and I know you have no time for Alain de Botton but his book "Religion for Atheists" is one I have a lot of time for (very well thought through!) ... as well as From Jesus to Christ which is more objective than you might imagine and may even support your own atheist views (well, just maybe). The Professors of Theology interviewed are not apologists for the Church. The subtext appears to be "now how the heck did that happen?)

Maybe I've misunderstood, you, but you've certainly misunderstood me if you think I'm supporting the church in this role (although I am less "anti" than most and see good as well as the very public bad).

I haven't assumed that you support the Church, are you even reading my posts?

.. and I know you have no time for Alain de Botton

I think his idea of 'atheism 2.0' is a redundant one, that doesn't mean I have no time for him.

So do you have any actual explainable objection to morals being taught in school, through logic, reason, human rights and humanitarianism ?

It certainly seems to match your definition of a moralistic community and it works in a similar way to Church services.

Religion has no place in society or being taught in schools.

Religion has no place in society or being taught in schools.

Is this in response to someone's post?

It doesn't appear to be anything to do with the OP

So do you have any actual explainable objection to morals being taught in school, through logic, reason, human rights and humanitarianism ?

are you even reading my posts????

are you even reading my posts????

Of course I am, they consist mainly of incorrect assumptions about what my views are, alongside your opinion that morality can't be taught in schools but it can be taught in Church. You haven't given an explanation of the reasoning behind your opinion though, which is what I'm asking.

Of course I am, they consist mainly of incorrect assumptions about what my views are, alongside your opinion that morality can't be taught in schools but it can be taught in Church. You haven't given an explanation of the reasoning behind your opinion though, which is what I'm asking.

I'm too tired to even think of replying. OK that's obviously a lie. Here I go.

I have never said that morality can't be taught in schools which is why I think you can't be reading my posts. It can, but that's not the end of the matter.

I have said something like it's not sufficient. You know that mathematics thing about necessary and sufficient conditions for something to be true?

I thought I was trying to find some common ground, beyond what you're comfortable with maybe, but maybe you're not as open to others people's ideas as I first thought. Yes I know that's provocative, but I confess, I'm tired. Forgive me.

Confessions and forgiveness ... are they a good thing? What do you think RB?

When you have to go to the lavatory you do then I presume travel a bowshot outside the city walls, dig a hole with a wooden paddle and relieve yourself into it?

What about clothes of two different threads? Or polycotton is banned? What about sowing peas and barley next to each other?

The "rules" are ludicrous.

We live under the covenant which is given to us in the new testament but it doesn't rule out the old testament as it backs up the new.

Ps we use what is known as a long drop !!!( for the toilet in Africa )