The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

And in my society many MEN want to be better than WOMEN and even be above them instead of their equal or partner.

Is that signed off as ok within the bible?

Is this in the Uk ?

And in my society many MEN want to be better than WOMEN and even be above them instead of their equal or partner.

Is that signed off as ok within the bible?

You'll love this one from the new Testament:

Ephesians 5:22 - Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

5:23 - For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church

But it's okay because women still get "love" in their subjugated, oppressed, second class existence.:gag:

I don't think Teeny has answered the point raised in post 170.

we are talking about Agape love

Yes, Greek is much more exact in its definitions of different "loves". as:

"The Bible speaks of two types of love: phileo and agape. Both are Greek terms and appear at different points throughout Scripture. The Greek language also had terms for two other types of love, eros and storge, which do not expressly appear in the Bible.

To better understand phileo love, we need to take a brief look at the other types of love. Storge is an affectionate love, the type of love one might have for family or a spouse. It is a naturally occurring, unforced type of love. Some examples of storge love can be found in the stories of Noah, Jacob, and siblings Mary, Martha, and Lazarus.

As its name indicates, eros is passionate or sexual love (eros is the source of the English word erotic). While eros is important within a marriage relationship and is created by God (see Song of Solomon), it can also be abused or mistaken for storge love. The Bible is clear that sexual immorality (out-of-control eros) is a sin (1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 Thessalonians 4:3).

Agape speaks of the most powerful, noblest type of love: sacrificial love. Agape love is more than a feeling—it is an act of the will. This is the love that God has for His people and that prompted the sacrifice of His only Son, Jesus, for our sins. Jesus was agape love personified. Christians are to love one another with agape love, as seen in Jesus’ Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).

Finally, we have phileo love. Philia refers to brotherly love and is most often exhibited in a close friendship. Best friends will display this generous and affectionate love for each other as each seeks to make the other happy. The Scriptural account of David and Jonathan is an excellent illustration of phileo love: “After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. . . . And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself” (1 Samuel 18:1-3)."

Here, of course, I feel that the term "paedophilia" , coined in 1886 by the Viennese psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his writing Psychopathia Sexualis, displays his ignorance of "phileo" as against "eros".

A paedophile should be a friend to children, and look after them, not debauch them.

Yes, Greek is much more exact in its definitions of different "loves". as:

"The Bible speaks of two types of love: phileo and agape. Both are Greek terms and appear at different points throughout Scripture. The Greek language also had terms for two other types of love, eros and storge, which do not expressly appear in the Bible.

To better understand phileo love, we need to take a brief look at the other types of love. Storge is an affectionate love, the type of love one might have for family or a spouse. It is a naturally occurring, unforced type of love. Some examples of storge love can be found in the stories of Noah, Jacob, and siblings Mary, Martha, and Lazarus.

As its name indicates, eros is passionate or sexual love (eros is the source of the English word erotic). While eros is important within a marriage relationship and is created by God (see Song of Solomon), it can also be abused or mistaken for storge love. The Bible is clear that sexual immorality (out-of-control eros) is a sin (1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 Thessalonians 4:3).

Agape speaks of the most powerful, noblest type of love: sacrificial love. Agape love is more than a feeling—it is an act of the will. This is the love that God has for His people and that prompted the sacrifice of His only Son, Jesus, for our sins. Jesus was agape love personified. Christians are to love one another with agape love, as seen in Jesus’ Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).

Finally, we have phileo love. Philia refers to brotherly love and is most often exhibited in a close friendship. Best friends will display this generous and affectionate love for each other as each seeks to make the other happy. The Scriptural account of David and Jonathan is an excellent illustration of phileo love: “After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. . . . And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself” (1 Samuel 18:1-3)."

Here, of course, I feel that the term "paedophilia" , coined in 1886 by the Viennese psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his writing Psychopathia Sexualis, displays his ignorance of "phileo" as against "eros".

A paedophile should be a friend to children, and look after them, not debauch them.

Is condemning people to second class existence in life or eternal torture in death consistent with agape love?

Is condemning people to second class existence in life or eternal torture in death consistent with agape love?

I think you're questioning the wrong person, iirc Jfish is one of the very best kind of Christians who doesn't really believe in anything supernatural but just thinks Jesus was a cool guy, if only that were more popular! Just popping in to help us with our semantics like a gent.

I think you're questioning the wrong person, iirc Jfish is one of the very best kind of Christians who doesn't really believe in anything supernatural but just thinks Jesus was a cool guy, if only that were more popular! Just popping in to help us with our semantics like a gent.

Thumbs up to that. :thumbsup:

its an amazing fantasy book, only beaten by the hobbit / lord of the rings

It's something you can do in your armchair and have an opinion on, a bit like you do with sheffield Wednesday :hihi:

I don't think Teeny has answered the point raised in post 170.

No she won't do.

Alas like many Christians (and other Theists) she seems more than happy to argue her point when they think they have the upper hand but when their own book is used against them (it's easy enough to do, several of Christianity's core doctrines aren't even present in the Bible (or if they are it's flimsy new Testament interpretation of texts written hundreds of years earlier)) they go strangely quiet.

This to me seems odd behaviour, as it's clear from the silence they realise they've been proven wrong yet they continue to believe in their holy books. Very strange.

No she won't do.

Alas like many Christians (and other Theists) she seems more than happy to argue her point when they think they have the upper hand but when their own book is used against them (it's easy enough to do, several of Christianity's core doctrines aren't even present in the Bible (or if they are it's flimsy new Testament interpretation of texts written hundreds of years earlier)) they go strangely quiet.

This to me seems odd behaviour, as it's clear from the silence they realise they've been proven wrong yet they continue to believe in their holy books. Very strange.

I wouldn't suggest that there's any animosity suggested in your post and you certainly seem to know more about the bible than me but I'm going to have to chip in at this point and ask you to consider the difference between faith and belief.

Ghostrider your assuming that all Christians just believe but this is only a part of it.

Christianity is based in faith of and in Jesus Christ not simply belief in holy books.

The inference that the following silence of those you've criticised proves you right surprises me by the simplicity of the point, and also the convenience it lends to your argument.

There's probably a multitude of reasons why they don't leap back into discussion! some of which may be that they have a productive existence away from this forum.

So try to understand the FAITH side of it before defaulting down the belief/ holy book route. For what it's worth you can discuss various parts of the bible until your blue in the face and still manage to fall out over it. That's something that's been happening for centuries and in my experience is still going on! And finally " the upper hand" is generally used in the context of a controlling or dominating environment and in all the time I've been on this forum I don't think that allegation is suitable or applicable to Teeny :)

I wouldn't suggest that there's any animosity suggested in your post and you certainly seem to know more about the bible than me but I'm going to have to chip in at this point and ask you to consider the difference between faith and belief.

Ghostrider your assuming that all Christians just believe but this is only a part of it.

Christianity is based in faith of and in Jesus Christ not simply belief in holy books.

The inference that the following silence of those you've criticised proves you right surprises me by the simplicity of the point, and also the convenience it lends to your argument.

There's probably a multitude of reasons why they don't leap back into discussion! some of which may be that they have a productive existence away from this forum.

So try to understand the FAITH side of it before defaulting down the belief/ holy book route. For what it's worth you can discuss various parts of the bible until your blue in the face and still manage to fall out over it. That's something that's been happening for centuries and in my experience is still going on! And finally " the upper hand" is generally used in the context of a controlling or dominating environment and in all the time I've been on this forum I don't think that allegation is suitable or applicable to Teeny :)

Ah yes "faith". The belief in something because it's not true. I was wondering when that would come up. This is the age of reason. You'll have to do better.

I've read it a few times and it gave me a sleepy feeling. I don't know if I was bored or it was God trying to tell me to do something.

I'd love a Christian to respond.